Windows 10: Cortana/Search field color changing from default gray to white

Discus and support Cortana/Search field color changing from default gray to white in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I thought I would post this and see if anyone has a real solution. Yesterday I noticed that after my morning startup the color of the Cortana/Search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by moondoggy, Nov 3, 2017.

1. moondoggy Win User

Cortana/Search field color changing from default gray to white

I thought I would post this and see if anyone has a real solution. Yesterday I noticed that after my morning startup the color of the Cortana/Search field was no longer it's default gray but was now white. I had made no changed to my PC (i.e. no system updates, no new software, no software updates. Note also that this behavior did not appear immediately after the Fall Creators Upgrade so I'm at a loss as to what has caused this behavioral change. I found an article posted on the internet that showed how to change the color from default gray to white by changing a default value in the registry but when I checked my PC it was still set to the default value of zero. I found yet another article that said that if you go into Settings - Time & Language - Region & Language and you change the Country or Region value from the United States to Zimbabwe, log out, log back in, change the value back to the US and then log out and log back in again it would change the color back to the default gray. This did work for me but I've had it change back from gray to white today. Has anyone else seen this behavior and know of a permanent solution? Thanks.

:)

moondoggy, Nov 3, 2017
  2. DennyShaw Win User

Type here to search box turned white was gray. How to fix back to gray?

The search field background turned white after the latest windows update.

I want the color back to the gray that it was before the update.

How do I change the color back to gray?

DennyShaw, Nov 3, 2017
  3. Change Cortana's search bar color to BLACK

Recently (1 or 2 weeks ago), my Cortana search bar color changed from the default black to white. I want the black color again. I found a registry fix at Ten
    Forums
    but i have to apply the registry file everytime i restart my pc. I want a permanent fix for this problem please help.

ahmedaliaunali, Nov 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Nov 3, 2017
  5. moondoggy Win User
    Thanks for the input. Included in that thread was a download for setting the color back to black thru a bat files named Default_Cortana_Search_Box_Color.bat. I ran the bat file and the color immediately changed back to the default gray. The question now is whether the default color remains gray from here on out. Thanks again.

moondoggy, Nov 3, 2017
  6. The last time this happened it went away on its own. I think Microsoft may have fixed it on their end. Interestingly, on my computers, it only happens to the one with a Microsoft Account. The laptop with a local account is not affected.

radiowaves, Nov 3, 2017
  7. Same thing here. Thought my sanity was involved. Gonna have a look at the thread and batch file. And this machine is not an MS Account.

Edit: Shawn's .bat file has returned things back the way they were before the gremlins changed them.

Edit AGAIN: And now it White AGAIN. Guess I can learn to live with it.

Wiley Coyote, Nov 3, 2017
  8. Stevekir Win User

Stevekir, Nov 4, 2017
  9. cc2150dx Win User
    This idea worked for me: Apply Shawn's .bat file again. Then restart your PC via (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) -->power--restart.

Or, Stevekir's post + restart your PC via (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) -->power--restart.

I hope this helps *Smile

cc2150dx, Nov 4, 2017
  10. OK, works until I do first search and then the box stays white. No big deal, I'm gonna just leave it as is.

Wiley Coyote, Nov 4, 2017
  11. Edwin New Member
    Hate to bring this up again but...

Never saw the point of having that gawdy lookin Search Box when you can just click on the Start icon or press WinKey and start typing anyway?
    Or, ask Cortana to search something for you, for that matter!

Edwin, Nov 4, 2017
  12. moondoggy Win User
    I thought it was interesting as today after starting my PC my search box was again white requiring my to run the bat file again to return it to gray. I'm changed the file from a BAT to a CMD file and I've placed it in the strartup on my PC so will see what happens on the next boot.

moondoggy, Nov 4, 2017
  13. sanchit Win User

I am getting is this problem too! , I had installed windows 10 fall creators update a week ago, everything was working fine but then suddenly one day, Cortana search bar turned white (no updates, nothing new installed but still I got this problem), I have figured a workaround though: Change your default app mode from light to dark (settings>personalisation>colors> under more options then the search bar will change to its original color. I still like to use the settings app in light, can't find a permanent fix :/

sanchit, Nov 5, 2017
  14. Tried the region change aswell, seemed to work but first search makes it white again.

This happened a year ago on this system, only fix was a restore to a past image.

BaronKrause, Nov 5, 2017
  15. Stevekir Win User
    What do you mean by "Change your default app mode".

Thanks.

Stevekir, Nov 5, 2017
Thema:

1. Cortana/Search field color changing from default gray to white - Similar Threads - Cortana Search field

2. Change from black and white screen to colors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change from black and white screen to colors: I have vision problems while trying to get eyes in condition for surgery. I evidently changed something and my screen, even my colored photos and greeting cards, are all black and white. I have looked at color management and Theme change, but nothing I do seems to work....
  3. Is there a easy way to change window background color from white to gray ?

Is there a easy way to change window background color from white to gray ?: I like avoid ultrauxthemepatcher but i see not screenshot how windows 10 themes look in windows in the appstore. does somebody know a skin or more skins that have middle grey windows simular as this. https://themepack.me/skin/grey-eve/ but i will not install...
  4. Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working

in Cortana
    Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working: I have tried all these suggested fixes and none of them fix either of the two problems. https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/file-explorer-search-not-working.html I am wondering if anyone else had this dual problem? I see there is a Powershell script I can run...
  5. How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?)

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?): I now find, to my great surprise, that I can't type in the Search field at bottom left. The cursor will go there but nothing will happen to it when I start typing. This is amazing. This computer. Endless problems. I have two computer each with win10 and each installed at...
  6. Cortana search bar color

Cortana search bar color: Brink, our admin, has a wonderful tutorial on this subject : Change Color of Cortana Search Box to White in Windows 10 May I be so bold as to post an alternative which will change the search bar from White to default Grey. *** if this method has been posted here before,...
  7. Cortana search box changed to white color

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana search box changed to white color: Yesterday my Cortana search box changed to white from dark color. I didn't change any settings and had no updates. I saw in the Microsoft Community that a this happened to a few people as well. I did try using the downloadable .bat files in the tutorial section of this...
  8. search field and cortana wont function

in Windows 10 Support
    search field and cortana wont function: Hi all I installed a new version of Windows 10 pro. The search function and cortana was working fine. My IT person joined the company domain and everything still worked correctly. We did updates and lost the use of the search bar and cortana. The start button works fine...
  9. Change Color of Cortana Search Box to White in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Color of Cortana Search Box to White in Windows 10: How to: Change Color of Search Box on Taskbar to White in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial will no longer work starting with Windows 10 version 1903. [img] Information Searching from your taskbar makes it easier for you to search the web and Windows....
  10. Cortana Search is white and blank

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana Search is white and blank: Hello all, New Asus computer, windows 10 - 64 bit. When I type something in the Cortana search, the pop-up comes up blank and white. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks for your help. 78852