Windows 10: Cortana Search is messed up because indexing service won't turn on

Discus and support Cortana Search is messed up because indexing service won't turn on in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So my cortana search is messed up because the indexing service (Windows search service) won't turn on. I get the error "Windows could not start the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bobsagetfullhou, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Cortana Search is messed up because indexing service won't turn on

So my cortana search is messed up because the indexing service (Windows search service) won't turn on. I get the error "Windows could not start the Windows Search service on Local Computer. Error 15: The system cannot find the drive specified." when trying to manually turn the service on.

I tried sfc/scan now and several other things to fix this with no luck.

Any ideas?

:)

bobsagetfullhou, Nov 17, 2015
  2. grakky99 Win User

Cortana broke and I can't get her back

• Right-Click Start
    • click on Command Prompt (Admin)
    • at the cursor type in sfc /scannow

This reinstated Cortana for me because when I turned it off and wanted to stop the running task by renaming it, Windows Search stopped working. The Systems File Checker found the file, renamed it and poof, Search started working but apparently it is a function
    of Cortana so yeah, confusing and uses a lot of memory.

The Windows Search Service should be renamed Windows Search Service (Cortana) so you know that by messing with Cortana may mess up your Windows Search function.

Good luck.

grakky99, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Cortana broke and I can't get her back

Did as you said I got an error I guess: http://pastebin.com/ZEz8it1A

Here is a picture of the CMD window: http://abload.de/img/sfcxsrzz.png

SarcasticPickle, Nov 17, 2015
Thema:

Cortana Search is messed up because indexing service won't turn on

1. Cortana Search is messed up because indexing service won't turn on - Similar Threads - Cortana Search messed

2. PLEASE HELP!!! Windows Update ruined my Search Index, WSearch service won't start,...

in Cortana
    PLEASE HELP!!! Windows Update ruined my Search Index, WSearch service won't start,...: I've been dealing with this problem for several weeks, after installing a usual windows update it appears it has completely stuffed my Windows Search Service, which in turn is obviously effecting my Search Indexing. I have done pretty much everything to try and fix this and...
  3. Missing service Windows Search, Cortana

in Cortana
    Missing service Windows Search, Cortana: Since Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7, I had to upgrade to Windows 10. But my laptop is10 years old and it working very slowly. Now I'm using a light version of Windows 10 Enterprise, but Cortana has been removed from it, Windows Search also. When I press the Start...
  4. File is Indexed because it appears in subfolder search, but it does not appear in Document...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File is Indexed because it appears in subfolder search, but it does not appear in Document...: I know that a particular file must be indexed correctly because I can as a test do a File Explorer search of the subfolder it is in, using an unusual name in the file's contents, and I can thereby produce that file name as a search result. So in general terms, indexing must...
  5. It won't let me search on the index bar.

in Cortana
    It won't let me search on the index bar.: Hello, so when I want to type anything on they index searching it won't let me every time when I want to type it won't show the letters. Is it a bug? is it repairable? OR is it something that happened while updating windows?...
  6. hey cortana won't turn on

in Cortana
    hey cortana won't turn on: cortana won't turn on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hey-cortana-wont-turn-on/f5c2fd39-4f1d-4b51-95e8-8b8e2a533658"
  7. windows search service is turned off

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows search service is turned off: search performance will be impacted. How do I turn it back on? Outlook https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-service-is-turned-off/96286bb5-cb49-4b64-a425-7d31c462b036
  8. Windows Search service won't start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Search service won't start: The Windows Search service on my Windows 10 PC won't start. When I try to start it in the Services app, I receive the following error message: [ATTACH] In the Properties dialogue box for the service, it says it's looking for what I assume is the file referred to in that...
  9. Cortana/Search won't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana/Search won't work: Hey, search box a.k.a cortana isn't working. I tried the method with task manager to end the process but it isn't working. Anyone has any ideas how can i make this work? Thanks 19463
  10. Cortana search not work / Windows search not work / Not indexing

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana search not work / Windows search not work / Not indexing: I tired of these things, every time when i try come in Windows 10 same bugs happened again and again. One of this - Cortana not indexing any new files, i tried restarting services, changing different folders, rebuilding indexing, making system scan, troubleshooting, nothing...