Windows 10: Cortana - Something's not right

Discus and support Cortana - Something's not right in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've just activated Cortana but not having much luck. Is there a guide anywhere as to what can/can't be done with the app? For example, I added... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Cortana - Something's not right

I've just activated Cortana but not having much luck.

Is there a guide anywhere as to what can/can't be done with the app?

For example, I added some things to my calendar, and asked if there was anything in there for today (both spoken and typed question).

When spoken, all I get in response is: 'Something's not right. Try again in a little bit'.

When typed, a search is performed, but no documents are found.

It's quite possible I'm totally misunderstanding how Cartana works, but I would have thought that searching my calendar would be fairly basic.

Any help appreciated.

:)

SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 6, 2015

2. Windows 10 cortana something's not right!

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the suggestions below and check if that works for you:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press
      CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task.
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges
    • Type CMD.
    • Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Close the CMD window
    Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Mar 6, 2015
  3. UltraQ7 Win User
    Windows 10 cortana something's not right!

Hi
    Giridhar J

Thanks for your reply.

I tried your suggestion but unfortunately it didn't work.

I did check for my laptop's health via the command prompt and it showed few errors and a lot of warnings :/

-one error was this:

System Availability Requests:System Required Request

The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.

Requesting Driver Instance
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0283&SUBSYS_102805EA&REV_1000\4&23abe65c&0&0001

Requesting Driver Device

Realtek High Definition Audio

I'm not sure if this is related but I've also checked if there are updates to this driver and it was up to date.

any help will be much appreciated.

UltraQ7, Mar 6, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Cortana - Something's not right

Cortana has been extremely glitchy for the past few days; many have posted about it.
    I suspect there may be some transitions going on internally in preparation for a new Build. I'm just guessing though.

Edwin, Mar 6, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    That's logical, and I had issues with the Beta of the Store yesterday and it cleared up today. I think it's related somehow.

BunnyJ, Mar 6, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
    Does cortana work outside of the US now? I think not, and that is why.

Dude, Mar 6, 2015
  7. badrobot Win User
    The video we saw about Cortana and what it does I think is more of just a conceptual presentation of what MS intends to do. I don't think Cortana is fully functional at this stage.

badrobot, Mar 7, 2015
  8. Cortana - Something's not right

Thanks all.

I installed the US version so I could try Cortana, and certainly I was getting something yesterday, but even less today, so I will just keep trying and hope it works some day soon.

I also had problems with Beta Store yesterday - it said there was an update but this was 0 kb. Couldn't get beyond this.

Will keep trying this too.

SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 7, 2015
  9. I've re-opened the thread as I found something that might be relevant.

In Settings/Optional Features there are several related to Cortana. Do I need to add any of these for it to work?

10. Edwin New Member
    Depending on the settings you choose, most of them, or the ones you require, should already be 'installed'
    Click on them to find out.

Cortana - Something's not right [​IMG]

I put 'installed' in quotations because I'm not sure if some are applied as an install-on-demand feature or not.

Edwin, Mar 7, 2015
  11. Thanks Edwin, I will give this a try.

Edit: seems I already have all these installed.

Silly me - I assumed that since they were on a list of optional additional features I wouldn't already have them *Biggrin.

Oh well, I'm sure Cortana will work for me one day.

12. Well I'm making some progress, of the 2 steps forward, 1 step back variety.

I can occasionally get Cortana to speak to me and to respond to my 'Hey Cortana' now.

I have tried voice commands but this is very hit and miss, and they are mostly not picked up or misunderstood. I'm trying very basic things like the weather and the date.

And mostly I have to click the microphone icon before a voice command, despite setting it up to respond to my voice (well, I thought I had).

But it IS progress, so that's good *Smile.

SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 13, 2015
  13. adamf Win User

Did you set your locale to US as well? I think you have to do that not just install the en-US version..

adamf, Mar 13, 2015
  14. billpool Win User
    Cortana comes up with a warning that Cortana is Disabled per Company policy??? This is MY windows 10 Pro machine and I asked the gent that did the 'recover' setup and he says that he didnot notice...?? Where sholuld I look next? Help Please.

billpool, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cortana - Something's not right - Similar Threads - Cortana Something's right

2. Something's not right with my USB to headphone adapter...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Something's not right with my USB to headphone adapter...: My computer has a broken headphone jack, so I have to use an adapter for usb to resolve that problem - However, there is one flaw. Media players keep pausing and unpausing every 0.3 seconds or less.Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't.Also, it is trying to open my media...
  3. Something is not right

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Something is not right: Windows Defender found a PUP in my downloads folder even though it doesnt exist in my downloads folder.I turned on hidden files but the file still wont show up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/something-is-not-right/451e962a-f984-4f45-8974-ea8c1c1790a8
  4. There is something wrong with my Cortana!

in Cortana
    There is something wrong with my Cortana!: Look at this picture:How to solve this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-something-wrong-with-my-cortana/5feb2104-7955-43be-8712-a650b6520473
  5. Something isn’t right

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Something isn’t right: Ive recently switched from a microsoft account to local account via sign in with a local account instead. Every single time i delete it and restart my pc the file comes back. The file path is User -> Public -> Public Documents -> Creative -> CTDrvLedMgr . Isnt it suppose to...
  6. Something not right with Gmail

in Browsers and Email
    Something not right with Gmail: Gmail loads slowly, not only initially but when I delete or click on create a new message window. On the bottom left corner of the page a message appears, "Something not right" What should I do? What if I ran Process Explorer? Windows 10, version 2004 158594
  7. Something is just not right

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Something is just not right: After whole night of dancing around my laptop, I got some major problems with product... Computer was constantly using 2 GB of ram memory and I couldnt install graphic drivers. After force restarting the computer, windows explorer died and I got my Lenovo frozen to the...
  8. Something happened with Cortana for me

in Cortana
    Something happened with Cortana for me: Hi. In the past when I clicked on the Cortana Search Bar I got a message about Cortana welcoming me (such as Hi there or How can I help you?) with a smile thingy But now I have this: (its not a big deal I know but its annoying me and please help :( ) Also...
  9. Cortana - Something's not right

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana - Something's not right: I can't get Cortana to bring up the local weather or any sports scores, all I get is "something's not right, try again in a little bit" Anyone run in to this on the final build or anything I can try and fix? I'm running a Toshiba Satellite L875-S7208 - 17.3" - Core i3...
  10. Cortana "Something went wrong."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana "Something went wrong.": I finally upgraded to Windows 10 a week ago, and most things work fine. Cortana wakes up when I say, "hey, Cortana," then responds with "Something went wrong." Every time. If I say, "hey Cortana, play some music," it plays music from my PC. If I say, "hey Cortana, Open...