Windows 10: Cortana starts some programs, not others?

Discus and support Cortana starts some programs, not others? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Not a huge issue, but I was wondering if there was a way to get Cortana to be more consistent at starting programs? At present she will start some with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Willabong, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Willabong Win User

Cortana starts some programs, not others?

Not a huge issue, but I was wondering if there was a way to get Cortana to be more consistent at starting programs? At present she will start some with no problem, but others will either display a Web search page or do nothing?
    As an example, I use "Cool Reader" to read epubs on my PC, but Cortana when asked will say she is opening the program, but will display a Web search page instead?
    Is this a general problem with Cortana? If so, is there a way to get better recognition?*Sad

:)

Willabong, Feb 4, 2017

2. How to run an EXE file with cortana

I have tried this and you don't have to create an install, you just need a shortcut in the Start menu folder:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Make sure the name you use is distinctive so that there is no question about what you want to run.

To use it with Cortana, say: start COMMAND

Where COMMAND is the name of your shortcut.

Note I have found that using "start" makes Cortana more likely to just start the program over some other possible phrases. For instance I created a shortcut to a batch file and called it MyCommand.

If I said: start MyCommand, Cortana said OK and started it.

If I said: open MyCommand, Cortana asked if I wanted to start MyCommand or the Command Prompt.

A_User_Here, Feb 4, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Start / Metro Apps/ Cortana won't open - but only when Lenovo laptop is docked

Dear Diary, it's been two weeks since I've upgraded to Win10 - that Start Menu, Cortana, Edge still don't work when my laptop is docked, and my laptop is always docked. I've adjusted Edge and Cortana, who cares if they work or not; Start Menu is a bit
    of an annoyance, but it's fun searching c:\program files\ to launch some rarely used program that I didn't have in my task bar.

Steve McHargue, Feb 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Cortana starts some programs, not others? [​IMG]

You can focus Cortana on programs (Apps here = both desktop programs and universal apps) by selecting Apps using More at the top of Cortana's box.

This isn't terribly convenient.

To be honest, Classic Shell start menu (free) and its customisable search box does a far better job.

dalchina, Feb 4, 2017
  5. Stevekir Win User
    dalchina:

My search window is different from yours. At the bottom left you have the circular search icon whilst I have the the four widowlets, and "Filters" at the top right. Do you know why? (My Windows 10: Version 1907, 14393.693)

Also, I never add the "Apps:" when searching. What is the advantage of adding it?

Thanks.

Stevekir, Feb 4, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi,
    1. I am using Classic Shell as my start menu. Using that I have chosen to use a custom Win 7 Orb, taken from an Win 7 icon pack for Win 10. That is my start button.

If I quit Classic Shell, my start button is the normal Win 10 one as yours.

2. I don't know why mine shows More, and yours Filters. Mine is UK English.

3. When you start Cortana's search by typing in the box, it may offer results from the web mixed with results from the Windows search indexed files including the start menu.

4. The filters (More) let you specify what sort of results you want: docs, music, web, apps... as you can see if you look there.

5. You said your problem was it didn't offer you all the results you expected from the start menu.

Therefore it makes sense to try telling Cortana to focus exclusively on results from the start menu.

6. However I recall a thread where a user was adding shortcuts to the start menu but Cortana didn't find them, even though the search index was incremented.

So it depends what your actual problem is.

Therefore:
    Can you tell me if using the apps filter finds what you hope it will find, and confirm that what you are looking for is shown as a shortcut in the start menu?

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cortana starts some programs, not others? - Similar Threads - Cortana starts programs

2. Search bar, start button, cortana, and some other basic windows features are not doing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar, start button, cortana, and some other basic windows features are not doing...: Hi,I recently tried to change permissions of all my folders to me so I could delete some useless apps like candy crush. I think I accidentally deleted some stuff in Windowsapps that was important to the search bar functionality. I don't remember deleting anything in...
  3. Search bar, start button, cortana, and some other basic windows features are not doing...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search bar, start button, cortana, and some other basic windows features are not doing...: Hi,I recently tried to change permissions of all my folders to me so I could delete some useless apps like candy crush. I think I accidentally deleted some stuff in Windowsapps that was important to the search bar functionality. I don't remember deleting anything in...
  4. Search bar, start button, cortana, and some other basic windows features are not doing...

in Cortana
  5. Some programs are connecting to the internet and not others.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some programs are connecting to the internet and not others.: This issue is driving me up the wall.A number of unrelated programs on my PC have little or no internet connectivity, while others are absolutely fine.- This issue seems to have appeared out of nowhere, I haven't changed any settings recently on my PC.- My browsers, Chrome...
  6. Some programs are connecting to the internet and not others.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some programs are connecting to the internet and not others.: This issue is driving me up the wall.A number of unrelated programs on my PC have little or no internet connectivity, while others are absolutely fine.- This issue seems to have appeared out of nowhere, I haven't changed any settings recently on my PC.- My browsers, Chrome...
  7. Some programs are connecting to the internet and not others.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Some programs not starting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some programs not starting: I just recently built a new PC. Everything was working fine 3 weeks until today when I started my computer. I got an error message about OneDrive not being able to start over a qt plugin. Then I noticed some other programs were not starting. When double clicking discord off...
  9. Some programs mute the sound of other programs SOLVED

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some programs mute the sound of other programs SOLVED: Hi, I just figured this out myself because Microsoft refuses to answer this question. I don't know why they won't, but they won't. I'm posting this here because this answer needs to get out there. This is probably going to get taken down because Microsoft support hates...
  10. printer works with some programs but not others

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    printer works with some programs but not others: Brother mfc-8440 will print from wordpad but not from reader Just says cannot print and says "error" Printer works with Excel, Word but the reader is Windows 10 "Edge" 10460