Windows 10: Cortana Taskbar Search Not Working

Discus and support Cortana Taskbar Search Not Working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Cortana taskbar search shows up but when you click on it, you cannot enter text. Also even though you can see the Cortana control panel listing when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BarryAllen, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Cortana Taskbar Search Not Working

Cortana taskbar search shows up but when you click on it, you cannot enter text. Also even though you can see the Cortana control panel listing when searching in Settings when you click on it it does not open. I checked and the Cortana files are in the System Apps folder. The Cortana process does not show up in Task Manager processes. It looks like some built in Win 10 Microsoft apps are disabledoing in Apps and Settings. See attached pics. Any tips would help fix this Cortana taskbar search issue will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

:)

BarryAllen, Apr 20, 2017
  2. OzzieMatt Win User

Search box functionality in disabled Cortana

Is it possible to disable Cortana, while still leaving the taskbar search box functional? I already have disabled Cortana; the taskbar search box stopped working at that point...

OzzieMatt, Apr 20, 2017
  3. 2MM
    2mm Win User
    Outlook 2010 index results not showing in windows 10 search after upgrade

Are you sure you are talking about searching from the Cortana/Windows search box on the taskbar versus searching from within the Outlook application?

The problem is that search from within Outlook works fine but not from the Cortana/Windows search box on taskbar.

4. Cortana Taskbar Search Not Working

Pics
    Cortana Taskbar Search Not Working [​IMG]

BarryAllen, Apr 20, 2017
  5. mrgeek Win User
    You have fallen behind on updates. Your Firefox version is 4 or 5 versions behind and Teamviewer is on Version 12 now. Also, you can just refresh the entire OS by upgrading 10 Anniv to 10 Creator with an In-place upgrade/repair install. Follow below tutorial and you'll end up with a new copy of all files incl Cortana which has feature changes, rather than try to troubleshoot a system that will be updated eventually.

I prefer Step 4 which you can use, since obviously, you can log in to your system. Mount the ISO created by Media Creation Tool and run setup.exe as if you had a clean installation dvd from Windows. No need to make a dvd or usb, just run from desktop - Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

mrgeek, Apr 20, 2017
  6. This machine is it use for a project and cannot be updated at the moment.

I have Windows 10 personally and no Windows 10 apps stop working when an update is waiting to be installed.

It has to be a permission or disabled Windows 10 App issue.

The Cortana files are still located in C:// Windows/SystemApps.

BarryAllen, Apr 20, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Fire Fox and Teamviewer are irrelevant to the OP question. Also not everyone wants to upgrade to the garbage Creator downgrade on their system.

bro67, Apr 20, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

Cortana Taskbar Search Not Working

Everyone knows where Cortona is located. If the service is off or your have your VM set to not allow the requests from Cortona to get to Microsoft's servers, it will not work, especially in a VM. No permission issue, but you could have disabled services and registry items to Cortona. It is your setup, you are going to have to check to make sure you allow the VM to not restrict requests to Microsoft's servers, same as that all appropriate services are running.

bro67, Apr 20, 2017
  9. indianacarnie, Apr 20, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Taking a different approach- if you don't want to take risks with or spend time on your current system whilst engaged in a project- Cortana isn't essential. It's an add-on.

So download & try Classic Shell start menu for now as a workaround. Free, it offers a search bar far more effective than Cortana's (although you can't speak to it). Highly recommended by most here.

Otherwise, we have no idea what the history of your system is.
    For example, do you have any idea what happened before Cortana stopped working? Have you changed any settings? Did this just recently happen?

What is your Windows build?
    (Win key + R, winver).

Do you have any relevant system restore points? Or disk images? (We strongly recommend disk imaging).

Whilst you could try repairing Cortana:
    Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    (Search that for Cortana, and follow the instructions at the top of the relevant section)

- you suggest there are problems with other apps as well.

dalchina, Apr 20, 2017
  11. Thanks for the help. This is a computer that is using a copy of an image used on a computer for a project used in another country.

It's a long story, but it was set up by another team on the location of the actual live computer by an outside company. We are tasked with supporting it though.

We are trying to work backwards and figure out how to fix the issue.

We will try the suggestions here and I will update this thread if anything works.

BarryAllen, Apr 20, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Hi, in that case you may also have language pack related issues if you changed the language.

I'd be tempted to suggest if your focus is the project, and what you need for that is working but some Windows features aren't, then simply work round that and don't bother with the ones that don't.

dalchina, Apr 20, 2017
  13. bro67 Win User

Not much you can do if it is a install of Windows 10 that major changes may have been done to the registry and GPO. All that you can really do is work with the project manager in the other country to figure out what they have messed with and if they are using any type of VPN or Proxy, that is going to cause other headaches.

A version of Windows for another country is going to be setup by Microsoft to connect to the servers that they have for that country when the version of windows that you are using is trying to connect to those servers. If they cannot find a way to them from here in the U.S., you are stuck where you are at this point.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cortana Taskbar Search Not Working - Similar Threads - Cortana Taskbar Search

2. Taskbar, Start menu,search And cortana are not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar, Start menu,search And cortana are not working: So I logged on my pc And i noticed all icons in task bar are gone so when i try to click the start menu its not working And when i put my cursor on the search My cursor becomes the loading thingyI tried restarting file explorer and it didnt workHelp...
  3. Search and Cortana not working?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search and Cortana not working?: This has been an issue for me for a while but I usually ignore it because I can't seem to fix it, but here I am. Neither search or Cortana seem to even launch, clicking on the search icon on my taskbar does nothing, but I do notice Cortana's process pop up in task manager...
  4. Cortana and Search not working.

in Cortana
    Cortana and Search not working.: Since I've updated my windows 10 to the November Update. The Cortana and search bar is permanently disabled, it ran only the first time. I reinstalled the newer version, they worked for first time, but again got disabled in the next restart. I tried all possible solutions,...
  5. Cortana and search not working

in Cortana
    Cortana and search not working: After installing the latest update of windows with the latest apps, my C drive's storage space drastically decreased (assuming because of the windows old folder being created), along with the start button having a slow response and the cortana & search unable to function. I...
  6. Cortana Search not working

in Cortana
    Cortana Search not working: Hi, I have two issues with Cortana Search. In 1 PC the user is able to search the apps using cortana search but as soon as he clicks the apps, the apps closes i.e. if he opens CALC then CALC opens and closes immediately. This is happening for all the microsoft apps. But...
  7. Taskbar/Cortana search window...

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar/Cortana search window...: With the 1809 update, the taskbar search window changed: [img] The width of the initial search window is doubled in size. Is there a way to reduce the width to what it used to be in 1803? Or at the very least, is there a way to change the background color for this window?...
  8. Small taskbar icons and Cortana search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Small taskbar icons and Cortana search: Hey guys *Smile Have a question! When using “small taskbar icons” is their a way to show the cortana search bar? Thanks, greatly appreciated! 105387
  9. Cortana and Search not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Search not working: Hey! Im new to this website so sorry if I do anything wrong, so my problem is, when i try to click cortana nothing opens and when i try to search nothing happens as well. I'm just clicking keys and it doesn't search. Any idea how I can fix this? Thanks 63973
  10. cortana/search not working?!?!

in Windows 10 Support
    cortana/search not working?!?!: just done a fresh install with the latest iso available. here it is the problem using search/cortana... (honestly i didn't care in the past, so i don't it's a normal beahaviour) -loggin in as administrator i can use the search and find settings like "system restore" or...