Windows 10: Cortana - Unable to sign into MS account

Discus and support Cortana - Unable to sign into MS account in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi I've upgraded to Windows 10. I'm trying to set up Cortana (in UK) and I'm stuck with a sign in problem with MS account. I know my MS account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Energise, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Energise Win User

Cortana - Unable to sign into MS account

Hi

I've upgraded to Windows 10. I'm trying to set up Cortana (in UK) and I'm stuck with a sign in problem with MS account.

I know my MS account password but the next window asks for my previous password, which I don't remember. In fact, I didn't have to log in to my local account. I've tried several different passwords and I've tried it 'blank' but to no avail.

So, I'm stuck! I can still use my machine ok but I can't finish setting up Cortana

I'm hoping someone can help, please. It would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

:)

Energise, Aug 30, 2015
  2. Samuel_Sam, Aug 30, 2015
  3. Unable to sign into anything with ms account on windows 10

This has been annoying me greatly. I upgraded to Windows 10 the other day and at face value it seemed like there were no issues, so I was pretty excited about the whole thing.

Then Windows did what Windows tends to do and completely baffled me yet again.

I figured that changing my user account to my Microsoft account would be a good idea so I could access all the features I wanted instead of signing into everything separately like I did in Windows 8.1, especially since Cortana requires this and I wanted
    to try that new feature out.

Unfortunately this is where the issues began. When I went into the settings, then users and accounts and tried to click on the, "sign in with a microsoft account" button I got an error saying "Something went wrong" then telling me to try again later. -_-'
    Thanks for the awesome description of the deficiency Microsoft. So I figured that I would deal with this later and just sign into each app separately like I had in 8.1. No such luck there either though. I get the same error with anything I try to sign into.
    Just a generic, "Something went wrong". I tried to go at it a different route and connect directly through Cortana and that offered the same error, wasn't really expecting good results there.

I can, however, access my Microsoft account through the internet on my computer just fine. I can login, and do whatever I want through the Microsoft website. The issue seems not to be with my account, but with Windows itself.

After this discovery I figured the issue might have been with my user account, so I figured I could just create a new account to link and switch over. It'd be a little bit of work but not really a big deal. So I went into my settings again, then into family
    and other users and clicked "Add someone else to this pc" only to once again be thwarted by the message, "Something went wrong".

Now I'm realizing my problem is rooted somewhere deeper than I thought. So I wondered if the issue was with the Windows 10 GUI not responding correctly. So I opened a command prompt and through Net User commands added a new user that way and to my elation
    the account was created successfully!

Finally one of my issues was resolved and I was getting somewhere. So I logged out of my main user account and into the new account. After putting in the credentials for this new user I was greeted with the message "User Profile Service failed the logon".
    A big smack in the face from Windows 10 directly to me.

Now I'm having a hard time believing that this string of errors is coincidental and unrelated. So after all of this I'm left with no real option but to come here for help. I've perused various forums and chat rooms and have come up with no solution to my
    problem.

Now I'd rather not reinstall Windows, I'm looking for a solution and not a do-over.

Thanks in advance for any help you could offer.

GregSmithGregSmithGregSmith, Aug 30, 2015
  4. Energise Win User

Bump

I'm still hoping someone can help, please?

Thanks

Energise, Sep 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Cortana - Unable to sign into MS account - Similar Threads - Cortana Unable sign

2. Can't sign in to ms account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't sign in to ms account: Some hours ago I just installed windows 22h2, and after that, this been happening. This was happening in the older version 21h2 as well. I had to always reset the PC, which is bad for the health of my SSD. I'm, tired and frustrated from this buggy windows, please somebody...
  3. Can't sign in to ms account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't sign in to ms account: Some hours ago I just installed windows 22h2, and after that, this been happening. This was happening in the older version 21h2 as well. I had to always reset the PC, which is bad for the health of my SSD. I'm, tired and frustrated from this buggy windows, please somebody...
  4. Can't sign in to ms account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to Sign Into Cortana

in Cortana
    Unable to Sign Into Cortana: When I tried to Sign into Cortana on PC, this is what it said "Minors aren't allowed to use their accounts here. You can still use this account to sign in to Microsoft services such as ........ If you're actually an adult visit account.live.com/ep to change your age." I...
  6. Account unable to sign in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Account unable to sign in: Hello, My admin account is not showing on sign in screen and when I try to sign in using local account an error displayed showing 'The user profile service failed the sign in'. I try to boot in safe mode but the problem remain same .Please help....
  7. Unable to sign into Samsung Smart Home with Cortana

in Cortana
    Unable to sign into Samsung Smart Home with Cortana: I am attempting to link my Samsung account with Cortana so that I will be able to use my Samsung SmartThings hub. The Samsung Smart Home Cortana skill leads me to believe I can do this. When I invoke the skill, Cortana prompts me to sign in with my Samsung Account. I then...
  8. Unable to sign in to cortana

in Cortana
    Unable to sign in to cortana: I am 17 years old as of now and I tried logging in into Cortana. But i am getting a message that I am a minor. As far as I know anyone above 13yrs can use Cortana. Also I have recieved error 0x80190005. I am looking forward for a solution to my problem. Thank you...
  9. Unable to sign in to Cortana to turn it on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to sign in to Cortana to turn it on: I chose not to use Cortana when I upgraded to Windows 10 recently. I decided to turn on Cortana now because of a particular issue. I reach the point of "Before we get started, I'll need you to sign in with a Microsoft account". I click the "Sign in" box. A grey/black box...
  10. MS account to try out Cortana ?

in Windows 10 Support
    MS account to try out Cortana ?: Hi all I run win 8.1 as my main OS and have a MS account for that. I run win 10 in a VM on local account, have not tested out Cortana as let , now that i have 10074 and its a bit more stable (not that i have had 1/4 the probs that some have) . I would like to test run...