Windows 10: Cortana unresponsive after restart/boot

Discus and support Cortana unresponsive after restart/boot in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; After a restart, and occasionally after SLEEP, Cortana will not respond to voice commands. (Text is okay.) Try again and all is well. This has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by borgus, Oct 19, 2016.

1. borgus Win User

Cortana unresponsive after restart/boot

After a restart, and occasionally after SLEEP, Cortana will not respond to voice commands. (Text is okay.) Try again and all is well.

This has been a continuing problem on two computers, one running HOME and the other PRO 1607, that was evident in earlier builds. The response when this occurs is similar to "I can't connect right now" or "The Internet and I aren't talking."

SFC/DISM are clear. The SEARCH troubleshooter has been run. There are no event viewer error messages

:)

borgus, Oct 19, 2016
  2. Kem Mon Win User

We are trying to recreate the issue
    here at our end but it has different results. However, it seems that the issue is caused by a connectivity issue with Cortana. Kindly try running this command:

• Open
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Type
      net local administrator /add networkservice
      and hit
      Enter.

• Type
      net local administrator /add localservice
      and hit
      Enter.

• Type
      Exit
      and
      restart
      your computer.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you try these

Recovery Options in Windows 10
    and check if there is any changes.

Note:
    Make sure to
    backup
    your files and important documents before performing
    one of these Recovery Options.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Oct 19, 2016
  3. borate Win User

Specifically, which drivers? As far as I know, all are up-to-date.

The failure to connect arises just after a restart, and sometimes after prolonged sleep - but only once, on two different PCs. Thereafter, Cortana responds as it should.

Every troubleshooting step normally suggested has been tested, including running the Net/Internet troubleshooter.

The Windows Update troubleshooter occasionally reports "service registration missing" and fixes it. But that doesn't resolve the issue being discussed here.

borate, Oct 19, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Cortana unresponsive after restart/boot [​IMG]

Hi, do you have that box checked in Cortana, Settings? (Keep my device from sleeping)
    (It was shown checked until I clicked the text and got the pop-up - which is kind of interesting as it's the internal mike on my laptop.....errmm

Here, the device is the mike- mine turns off after each command otherwise. Different to your symptom tho'.

dalchina, Oct 19, 2016
  5. borgus Win User
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    That box was intentionally left UNchecked because I do want the PC or laptop to sleep as scheduled.

The issue occurs whether or not "Hey Cortana" is enabled. If invoked manually it still fails initially after a restart.

borgus, Oct 19, 2016
  6. as ridiculous as this sounds but try updating the nvidia gpu drivers (if not already latest) or if it is installed then consider uninstalling GeForce experience. I read from a user that the early 360 subsets interfered with some of cortana / store features. It's a long shot but worth a try

Scottyboy99, Oct 19, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you may find that text misleading. My laptop (on mains power- not tried battery) still sleeps automatically if that's checked. It makes little sense given the way the text reads. So if I specify 1 minute, I find it takes about 3- the screen goes dark after 1 min. I guess your experience could differ.

It is the only way I've found so far to keep the mike active.

dalchina, Oct 19, 2016
  8. borgus Win User

Appreciate the suggestions.

The issue has been evident through a number of NVidia video drivers - now the latest. GeForce Experience has never been installed.

The 'don't sleep' box was checked, with no change. Cortana still won't respond the first time after a restart...on both machines.

borgus, Oct 20, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, just tried a restart, and for the first time Cortana responds when I say 'Hey Cortana' (which you might then guess I'm not in the habit of doing!). Ok, maybe I will now I can say 'Open Firefox'... but 'Close Firefox' doesn't do that. Hey well.

Here's the top set of settings: I don't think the rest are of interest.

Cortana unresponsive after restart/boot [​IMG]

You can see I use Nvidia from my specs.

Noted quite a bit of discussion on MS forums about Cortana not responding after a restart- no fix found that I've seen.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cortana unresponsive after restart/boot - Similar Threads - Cortana unresponsive restart

2. PC unresponsive after Boot-up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC unresponsive after Boot-up: Hi there,my Pc now ist randomly unresponsive right after Startup. It Boots up fine but as soon as its up none of the Apps launch automaticly or when promted, my Wallpaper Engine won't start, my Taskbar app won't start. As soon as I click the Taskbar it either doesn't respond...
  3. PC unresponsive after Boot-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC unresponsive after Boot-up: Hi there,my Pc now ist randomly unresponsive right after Startup. It Boots up fine but as soon as its up none of the Apps launch automaticly or when promted, my Wallpaper Engine won't start, my Taskbar app won't start. As soon as I click the Taskbar it either doesn't respond...
  4. PC unresponsive after Boot-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My Laptop is Unresponsive after an ordinary restart.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Laptop is Unresponsive after an ordinary restart.: I restarted my MSI laptop yesterday around noon just after I installed pycharm it never asked for update but just after that "Windows is updating and this might take some time don't turn off your pc" was on my screen I was literally quite busy then and never asked for any...
  6. Keyboard unresponsive after restart only.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard unresponsive after restart only.: I have an ASUS RoG laptop. After my profile became corrupt and set up a new profile, the windows tech support put my old profile info in a weird spot. Seeing as how I didn't have a whole lot and my complete set up was messed up, I decided to just do a reset and start over...
  7. Keyboard and mouse unresponsive after boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Keyboard and mouse unresponsive after boot: Hi all, Windows boot to my user login page but the keyboard and mouse do not work. Unplugged and back, no luck. They do work on bios. Legacy usb is enabled. In advanced repair mode (where you end up if you power on and off 3 times...) both work. In safe mode not....
  8. First boot after monthly updates unresponsive

in Windows 10 Support
    First boot after monthly updates unresponsive: Hey All. Wonder if anyone could suggest a way to analyze (to understand why this is like that) the following problem my computer has been having for few months now: After monthly updates, on first boot and on first boot only, after I login, Windows is unresponsive. If I do...
  9. Hey Cortana unresponsive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hey Cortana unresponsive: Hi, I'm not too sure what category this would go under so forgive me if it's in the wrong place. Last night I updated my Acer Aspire V5-571 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I was very eager to use the Cortana feature but after setting everything up the Hey Cortana feature...
  10. Windows boots unresponsive

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boots unresponsive: I performed a clean install two nights ago and everything has been going rather smooth. I just got done downloading grand theft auto and tried installing it from steam. Something didn't seem right when the direct x installer did its thing(first time install) so I restarted....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. first use of cortana after boot takes seconds