Windows 10: Cortana using IE not Edge for web search results

Discus and support Cortana using IE not Edge for web search results in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Ever since Build 14385 and now in 14388, Cortana has been using and opening IE as the browser for showing search web results instead of Edge. Edge is... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by StanP50, Jul 12, 2016.

1. StanP50 Win User

Cortana using IE not Edge for web search results

Ever since Build 14385 and now in 14388, Cortana has been using and opening IE as the browser for showing search web results instead of Edge. Edge is set as the default browser and has been for a long time. Have checked all the settings in both Edge and IE, as well as in Cortana, can find nothing that would or should cause this.

Any ideas?

:)

StanP50, Jul 12, 2016

2. Cortana And Default Browser - Voice Search and Keyboard search behaves differently

I'm aware Cortana is now supposedly supposed to only use Edge as part of your websearch. I'm fine with this as I like Edge more and more (still a lot of progress to do but it's better).

However, I have noticed an odd behaviour :

If I type search (so click "Ask Me Anything in the search bar", type the Text, example BBC), it shows me web result. Those web results, if I click one, will then open, not Microsoft Edge like I would expect, but Internet Explorer 11 along with a Bing search
    (so it uses IE 11 to make the bing search ?) It makes no sense as this browser is neither my default one, nor Microsoft Edge (Edge is my default Browser).

If I however voice search the same, BBC, then Cortana brings me to the BBC website using Microsoft Edge, as expected.

I tried using Bing as my default search engine on Edge, but that didn't change anything (I know Cortana refuses to use your search Engine for your search, which is obviously a stupid move as not consistent, but let's not beat that dead horse already).

Does anyone know of a solution for my keyboard search in Cortana to be relayed to Edge rather than IE ?

RaphaëlHENRY, Jul 12, 2016
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, Jul 12, 2016
  4. StanP50 Win User

Well the saga continues, even with 14390. Tried a little experiment and disabled Internet Explorer 11 altogether, rebooted, and then tried to ask Cortana something to search for on the web, and she didn't move an eyelash, nothing, just sat there and stared at me like, "Well, you deactivated my access to the net, what the hell do you expect". Really...what the heck is going on with this.

Have tried doing a DISM repair on the OS, also did an sfc before that, all turned up nothing. Guess something down deep inside got hosed, and since it appears no one else in the entire world, or at least on this board, has ever seen or heard of the issue, it may require a complete clean install, damn. *Banghead

StanP50, Jul 15, 2016
  5. Winuser Win User
    Winuser, Jul 15, 2016
  6. StanP50 Win User
    Yes, with14385, 14388 and now 14390. Where ever this glitch is hidden, it's staying put, has to be a linked association in the registry somewhere. After the anniversary Update next month, once I have a good esd/iso to create a fresh install usb, will do a wipe and a clean install from scratch.

StanP50, Jul 15, 2016
  7. I just started having this issue as well. It's weird how MS made a huge deal about how Cortana won't work with any browser other than Edge now. That's clearly not true. Every search is turning up in IE now. Did you ever find a fix?

BrooklynBrawler, Aug 11, 2016
  8. Reldel Win User

Starting with Anniversary Build, Cortana also began using IE11 on one of my three machines but not the other two.

All settings appear to be correct for Edge use. Very odd is that with Cortana open, if I click something that Cortana suggests I read,, it opens with Edge, if I use the search bar she opens it in IE11.

Reldel, Aug 11, 2016
  9. StanP50 Win User
    No, have never found a fix for this. It only happens on my main system, a NUC. Have 4 other systems mostly laptops, and one other desktop and none exhibit this. It's got to be a registry bug. Have not had the time to do a complete clean load of 10 on the NUC yet, but will update this thread once I do with the results.

StanP50, Aug 11, 2016
  10. After a recent search to see if anyone had figured out a fix yet, I stumbled upon this:

Cortana search opens Internet Explorer instead of Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Community

I have no clue why this corrects the issue, but it's working for me.

BrooklynBrawler, Oct 13, 2016
  11. Reldel Win User
    Reldel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cortana using IE not Edge for web search results - Similar Threads - Cortana using Edge

2. Is it possible to make Cortana to use Google Chrome instead of Edge for web searching?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to make Cortana to use Google Chrome instead of Edge for web searching?: Title says it all really. Appreciate any advice! submitted by /u/Shapebuster [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m0epoy/is_it_possible_to_make_cortana_to_use_google/
  3. Web search results

in Cortana
    Web search results: Hi, my name is Sumiyuru I am using a windows 10 home operating system hp I have a problem in the search box, as experienced in my other 2 computers when I search something in the web it immediately gives me web results but in my hp computer in the search box when I search...
  4. Use cortana whilst block web search and web results - Group Policy

in Windows 10 Support
    Use cortana whilst block web search and web results - Group Policy: I have Cortana installed on one PC because the use says the sky will fall and the world will end of they can't talk to their computer. Really. When I enable "Don't search the web or display web results in search" group policy (Computer Configuration, Administrative Tools,...
  5. Use cortana whilst block web search and web results - Grou Policy

in Windows 10 Support
    Use cortana whilst block web search and web results - Grou Policy: I have Cortana installed on one PC because the use says the sky will fall and the world will end of they can't talk to their computer. Really. When I enable "Don't search the web or display web results in search" group policy (Computer Configuration, Administrative Tools,...
  6. Cortana web search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cortana web search: Is there any way I can change Cortana settings so when I search for something it brings up a new tab in Google Chrome, not Microsoft Edge with bing. My default search engine is Google Chrome but it still opens up a new tab in Microsoft Edge. submitted by /u/DATBOI___...
  7. Cortana not searching the web

in Cortana
    Cortana not searching the web: Cortana searches files instead of searching the web. E.x searching up 12431x3 it will show files named '12431x3' if it doesn't find files it will show "no result" . It used to search the web and bring up a calculator instead of searching files....
  8. no cortana search results

in Cortana
    no cortana search results: no cortana search results https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-cortana-search-results/a8802319-d2a3-432d-a63b-cd0b4a5885c2
  9. OneDrive - Web use in Edge Browser need to search results by Date

in Microsoft Office and 365
    OneDrive - Web use in Edge Browser need to search results by Date: I am not new to the world of MS and its wonderful software. In fact, I changed completely over to OneDrive for all of my computing storage needs 5 years ago. Liberating to say the least....but, as I am a tad limited on my main PC (a Surface Pro v3) I choose to only sync...
  10. Show Cortana Web Search Results in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show Cortana Web Search Results in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer: How to: Show Web Search Results in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer How to Show Web Search Results in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer [img] Warning This tutorial is no longer valid starting with Windows 10 version 1903. When searching the web from...