Windows 10: Cortana/Windows Search Issue: default directory, crumb argument error?

Discus and support Cortana/Windows Search Issue: default directory, crumb argument error? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'd like to be able to search for the term "maxthon" and have the shortcut I keep in my Links folder (Users > > Links) show up as the first result so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Coaxsist, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Coaxsist Win User

Cortana/Windows Search Issue: default directory, crumb argument error?

I'd like to be able to search for the term "maxthon" and have the shortcut I keep in my Links folder (Users > > Links) show up as the first result so that I may hit return to select that result, follow the shortcut and run the program. This exact process worked perfectly in my Windows 7 installation before my Windows 10 upgrade.

I've outlined the process that I encounter that I'd like to fix below
    • I type "maxthon" expecting my shortcut within the "Links" folder to appear as the first result
    • instead a link to maxthon.com is displayed as the top result immediately followed by the directory in which I keep the installer for the maxthon browser
    • below those two results are a bunch of web search suggestions
    • not having found what I intended to search for, I click "My Stuff"
    • this returns only (with the default, widest search parameters active) the aforementioned directory in which I keep the maxthon installer
    • still not having found what I intended to search for, in the section "Other places to look" I click "File Explorer"
    • a window opens with "Search Results in Local Disk (CCortana/Windows Search Issue: default directory, crumb argument error? :); .minecraft" in the address & title bars. the results displayed are the aforementioned directory in which I keep the maxthon installer, the installer itself and FINALLY the shortcut I was expecting to find in the beginning... even though that, or the other files I've confirmed are not in that directory.
      • note the actual file path for this window is the following file I've attached: Search Issue Address Bar.txt
    Why does it appear Windows is searching only the ".minecraft" directory?
    Why are files that aren't in that directory being displayed as if they were?
    How can I fix this so it behaves as I expect? Is this an error on my part somehow?

I've already done these to try and fix this myself:
    • rebuild the index
    • deselected some unnecessary folders & removed ".minecraft" from the indexed locations
    • ensured the folders I wanted indexed were indeed selected
    • reinstalled cortana via a powershell command I found (even though that's a bit above my skill level)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

:)

Coaxsist, Aug 19, 2015
  2. MeSo2 Win User

Searching with Windows Explorer in Windows 10 for folders across multiple drives d; e; f; g; h; (roots only, no subfolders)

I have been trying to create a savable search function that will show me search results from across multiple drives, of just the folders -- no files, no sub-folders, no files inside sub-folders.

This is how far I got following the syntax described on this page
    here

CRUMB Argument (Windows)

search-ms:displayname=across%20all%20drives&crumb=locationCortana/Windows Search Issue: default directory, crumb argument error? :D%3A%5C&crumb=location:E%3A%5C&crumb=location:F%3A%5C&crumb=location:G%3A%5C&crumb=location:H%3A%5C

Now I need some sort of LIKE=%*% call. Or maybe a crumb=folderpath call to show only my folder, but I have no idea on how to do that.

Thank you for the help!

MeSo2, Aug 19, 2015
  3. Programs not listed in Cortana search.

I had a problem with a software and had to delete C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Packet.dll. After a reboot, when I tried to search for a program in the Cortana search bar, it didn't show. It was present in its default directory, but disappeared from the Start menu.
    So, I restored Packet.dll. But the problem still persists.

HarshaVReddy, Aug 19, 2015
  4. Coaxsist Win User

After browsing this thread and trying some things, my search capabilities function just as I want.

I noticed search was fixed immediately after I followed this procedure I found on page 13 of the above linked thread:
    • In the window that popped up I saw an option with a check box "Allow service to interact with desktop"

After checking that box and testing search, I noticed. I then UN-checked the box and search still worked though :/. I figured I'd at least post MY fix as it seems to have worked for me. *Huh

Coaxsist, Aug 21, 2015
Thema:

1. Cortana/Windows Search Issue: default directory, crumb argument error? - Similar Threads - Cortana Search Issue

2. Cortana and Search

in Cortana
    Cortana and Search: I deleted Cortana. I now have no search options, apps won't open, and my mouse and keyboard failed a diagnostic test. When I run troubleshooter is says my Windows Search doesn't work. I've tried every suggestion on google search, most I can't try because search doesn't work....
  3. Cortana and Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana and Search: I performed a virus, malware and clean up of Windows using Tronscript. It did the job except for two things- removed the Search icon and Cortana icon from my Windows tray. I can move Cortana to the tray. However, I can't open it. It tells me need permission from the...
  4. cortana windows search

in Cortana
    cortana windows search: Since a couple days ago, my "type here to search" on my taskbar has not been working, the loading wheel comes up when I click on it but nothing happens. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-windows-search/8e7821f8-7570-4468-858e-cec84b74bf11
  5. Cortana & Search

in Cortana
    Cortana & Search: Dear Sirs Recently my Cortana has stopped searching, stating that there is no internet connection. However, the internet connection is fine and and strong and nothing else reports this problem. I have no problems browsing at all. What's going on?...
  6. CORTANA search

in Cortana
    CORTANA search: Hi All, Is there a way to configure CORTANA to search for specific words from a documents contained in specific folder only. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-search/98bd5c7b-8da6-4617-b617-cb347ba56cf7"
  7. Cortana search

in Cortana
    Cortana search: I used to have a cortana search box on my task bar that I used to find files on my computer. Now it's not there. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-search/92876d53-09e6-4d6a-bb7a-6eeee910fc40"
  8. Cortana & search

in Cortana
    Cortana & search: Hello, I have a Lenovo H50-55 Desktop using Windows10 (64bit). I would like to be able to talk to Cortana. The computer did NOT come with a microphone or head phones. My keyboard is NOT wireless. I am thinking about getting a COWIN E7 Pro [2018 Upgraded] #7092...
  9. SearchWithMyBrowser - Open Cortana searches in your default browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SearchWithMyBrowser - Open Cortana searches in your default browser: Hi! Today, I present to you SearchWithMyBrowser, a little tool to open your Cortana searches in your default browser. Since April 28th, Cortana opens Edge, to force Bing upon you. SearchWithMyBrowser fixes this. It redirects searches to your default browser. If you have...
  10. "We're getting search ready" error - Windows/Cortana Search

in Windows 10 Support
    "We're getting search ready" error - Windows/Cortana Search: Hi guys, I have been using Windows 10 build 10240 for a while and I have a big problem regarding search. When I try to search for something from the search box in the Taskbar, I get this message. It is unable to find many of the files and even setting. For example,...