Windows 10: Cortana's Broken. Help, Please

Discus and support Cortana's Broken. Help, Please in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I click in the search box down in the Task Bar brings up The Cortana Window. Typing frequently brings up anything but what I'm asking for. Space... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Wiley Coyote, May 25, 2017.

1. Cortana's Broken. Help, Please

When I click in the search box down in the Task Bar brings up The Cortana Window. Typing frequently brings up anything but what I'm asking for. Space bar will make it close completely and sometimes disappear from the Task Bar. Sometimes it closes while typing. Click in the bar further over and it will come back. Restarts and a complete shutdown & start up have had no effect. Reliability Monitor simply says Cortana Stopped Working. No Solutions are available.

Here's the sequence of this mornings events:

Successfully download and install the 2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4020102), without incident.

Check the Store and download and install update to the MS Solitaire Collection.

Run Disk Cleanup. Removing the leftover Windows Update files.

I ran the same update on Gayle's laptop without the Store update and cleanup. Cortana is still working there, but not now on this machine.

Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, and AdwCleaner all come up clean. Cortana is not listed in the "Apps & Features" list, so the Reset Apps Tutorial won't help. I'm at a loss, and really apprehensive (nice word for scared) about any of the Windows Reset, Repair, Refresh routines. Remember, I really do not know what I'm doing. Frustration is mounting and that's not helping.

Can someone please help here?

:)

Wiley Coyote, May 25, 2017

2. Cortana Not Working Properly

So, i've had window's 10 for a while now, and Cortana was working properly until 2 weeks ago. Now I'm unable to click on the search bar or the voice search on the Taskbar. Is Cortana broken? If not please help me fix it

SomeGuyWithWindows10Problems, May 25, 2017
  3. Rubaiet Win User
    Lumia 630 cortana problem

I have a Lumia 630 and have a great dream to use Cortana in it. But it never works out for me. Search every thing and tried every single thing but won't work. Finally I gave up . Is there any way to get to Microsoft attention to get this done to my 630.
    Please help me to get the 'Cortana'. Please help me out if there any software engineer feeling my heart broken pain. help me....

Rubaiet, May 25, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

Cortana's Broken. Help, Please

Not sure where to tell you to start but I would suggest you check your setting and turn off any voice activation just in case it might be picking something up from the background:

Cortana's Broken. Help, Please [​IMG]

5. Hey thanks. Just went thru all that and it was/is now off. One thing, clicking in the search box at the bottom doesn't bring up the empty result window. It's either the Home page with various things offered. Let's try something else?

6. WOT
    WOT Win User
    I'm not really sure what you mean because I normally don't use Cortana but here is what I get when I click in my search box:

Show me what you see.

7. Cortana's Broken. Help, Please [​IMG]

It goes off when I try to do a Snipping Tool capture. BTW, forgot to mention SFC /SCANNOW found no integrity violations.

8. WOT
    WOT Win User

WOW, it looks like you are getting a view for a cell phone but I'm not sure. Do you have bluetooth and/or are other devices somehow paired or connected to you PC?

For example, I made the mistake of plugging my android tablet into my laptop for charging and I start to get (offered) Windows 10 mobile updates. I reloaded a system image to stop those offers.

Anyway, I don't know why yours is different but I am sure someone else around here will know... now that they can see what you are getting.

I'm off for the afternoon.

Good luck,

9. Bluetooth not enabled. Only for the MS mouse on Gayle's laptop. That screen came up from either clicking on Home or Notebook in Cortana. Haven't figured out how to get rid of it.

thanks for your time and efforts.

10. Getting worse. English isn't on the list for languages in Cortana and the same thing is happening when I type in the Search box on the Settings pages.

11. The more I tried to figure out what was going on with Cortana, the issue was spreading even into the Search Box at the top of the Settings pages. An Uninstall of the update seems to have solved all but one of the problems, as far as I can tell. Only remaining issue is Cortana's initial Home Page display, seen in Post #5. If I can't figure how to make this return to normal, I can live with it. For now I think this one may well be resolved. Will mark is as such after a little time passes without incident.

Question now is, am I going to get this KB4020102 Update again? If not what's the consequences of that?

12. Next thing, How do I turn on Location For Cortana? It's greyed out

And I can't find what needs to be set to turn it's location setting on.

Again, can someone help?

Wiley Coyote, May 26, 2017
  13. Cortana's Broken. Help, Please

OK, I've turned on everything but the House Outside Lights and now Cortana's location is on. I'm declaring this one solved for now. Anything else comes up and I will start another thread.

Thanks to those that contributed and offered help. I do appreciate it.

Wiley Coyote, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cortana's Broken. Help, Please - Similar Threads - Cortana's Broken Help

2. Computer Broken Please Help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Broken Please Help: I am trying to factory reset my computer. Every time I start up my computer it states"No Input" on the monitor when I see this I restart the computer again and again until I get the Automatic Repair and get brought to a menu where I can boot up safe mode and factory reset the...
  3. Computer Broken Please Help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Broken Please Help: I am trying to factory reset my computer. Every time I start up my computer it states"No Input" on the monitor when I see this I restart the computer again and again until I get the Automatic Repair and get brought to a menu where I can boot up safe mode and factory reset the...
  4. Cortana is disabled Please help

in Cortana
    Cortana is disabled Please help: I need help whenever i go on Cortana it just says "Cortana is disabled" is there anything i can download to reset Cortana or something Please help me I need to use Cortana...
  5. Cortana is disabled Please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana is disabled Please help: I need help whenever i go on Cortana it just says "Cortana is disabled" is there anything i can download to reset Cortana or something Please help me I need to use Cortana...
  6. Cortana is disabled Please help

7. Please help me with cortana

in Cortana
    Please help me with cortana: My problem is that I cannot access Cortana settings. I am able to open the Cortana window and use the app but that is it. after lots of googling, people said to open the search bar and click on the notebook. when I open the search bar it looks like an ordinary search bar and...
  8. OOBE broken. Please HELP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OOBE broken. Please HELP: I've made similar threads already but I will keep making them until I get a response. I did a factory reset of my win10 laptop. Windows reinstalled fine. But the OOBE is broken. After I choose my keyboard layout, it tells me "Something went wrong, try again" and just keeps...
  9. Cortana broken

Cortana broken: Hey Guys and Gals, I have a windows 10 pro system and about 2 weeks ago sfc /scannow found corruption and could not fix it. I then ran multiple Dism commands and DISM fixed the corruption. But now Cortana is being dumb and stops letting me type searches and displays black...
  10. "Run as Administrator" is broken. Please help

in Windows 10 Support
    "Run as Administrator" is broken. Please help: None of the methods(right click, ctrl+shift, etc) work. With things like powershell and cmd, nothing happens at all. however, when I try to , say run an executable (a install for example) as an administrator, everything freezes. navigating to file location , clicking...