Windows 10: Cortana's frozen or dead on main user profile. Not language issue.

Discus and support Cortana's frozen or dead on main user profile. Not language issue. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; *Eek Build 10240. On my main user profile Cortana is just unresponsive. The first night she was working fine now she sits in the task-bar, but it shows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Anonymous7x7, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Cortana's frozen or dead on main user profile. Not language issue.

*Eek Build 10240. On my main user profile Cortana is just unresponsive. The first night she was working fine now she sits in the task-bar, but it shows no mic option and it shows Search the web and Windows, instead of Ask me anything. Neither does the live tile do anything or respond when left-clicked, it just wont open. Lastly when I go into settings and get to the Cortana & Search settings and click the option it brings me back to the initial page of the settings instead. Inside of my task-bar when I right-click its supposed to have a Cortana section where you can hide, show Cortana icon, or show search box. Instead the menu is labeled Search to get to those options. It says show search icon instead of Cortana. Its like she is gone and no trace.

I suspect something may have broke in the registry. I've tried Powershell > Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocati
    on)\AppXManifest.xml"} and it fixes tile and start menu issues, but not Cortana.

I also tried an elevated cmd and ran gpedit.msc Computer Configuration>Administrative Template>Windows Components>Search> and enabled Allow Cortana and Allow search and Cortana to use location. Initially they were off. Enabling them and rebooting didn't make a difference to anything though.

Cortana works fine in my other user profiles. Here I can compare with screenshots.

Primary profile

Cortana's frozen or dead on main user profile. Not language issue. [​IMG]

Secondary profile

Cortana's frozen or dead on main user profile. Not language issue. [​IMG]

Also notice the difference in the actual bar. No mic and no Ask me anything. Unresponsive when clicked. Any suggestions?

:)

Anonymous7x7, Jul 27, 2015

2. Unable to set speech lanuage to English (UK) on Windows 10.

Hi,

Please reply, did you change Country & region and Language to UK and check if the issue persists?

If you have tried setting Country & region and
    Language to UK and facing the above issue, check if similar issue persists on another user account.
    This is only to check if the issue is specific to user profile or the OS installed on the computer. Refer to
    Set up accounts article to create a new Microsoft user account on the computer.

The corrupted user profile does not function normally such as not launching
    Start menu, Cortana, Search bar, Store and other
    Windows applications. In such cases creating a new profile and checking for the same will help in identifying if the is specific to corrupted user profile or the OS.

Write to us with the status of setting English (UK) language on the computer for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 27, 2015
  3. Problem in using Hebrew language with second User account on Windows 10

Hello Liron,

We understand your concern in this regard. Let us know few things to analyze the issue.

• You mean to say, it is working fine with Main User Profile?
    • Did you try changing Hebrew language as default language?
    • If yes did you try removing and reading it?
    Give us these details to assist you better.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jul 27, 2015
Thema:

Cortana's frozen or dead on main user profile. Not language issue.

1. Cortana's frozen or dead on main user profile. Not language issue. - Similar Threads - Cortana's frozen dead

2. User profile cannot be loaded issue.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User profile cannot be loaded issue.: Hello, today i reset my pc, it took an hour or two to finish. Once i started it up and logged in, it displayed “User profile cannot be loaded” error, I tried to open regedit in safe mode, but the screen was flickering. I am scared to reset it again because it might cause an...
  3. User profile cannot be loaded issue.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User profile cannot be loaded issue.: Hello, today i reset my pc, it took an hour or two to finish. Once i started it up and logged in, it displayed “User profile cannot be loaded” error, I tried to open regedit in safe mode, but the screen was flickering. I am scared to reset it again because it might cause an...
  4. Folder path user profiles issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder path user profiles issue: We have user profiles in windows 10 system stored on D: partition.However they are logically stored on D:\UserData, but actual physical path is D:\Users.It means if I browse to D:\UserData, I am redirected to D:\Users. Path on windows explorer address bar shows "This PC >...
  5. Folder path user profiles issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder path user profiles issue: We have user profiles in windows 10 system stored on D: partition.However they are logically stored on D:\UserData, but actual physical path is D:\Users.It means if I browse to D:\UserData, I am redirected to D:\Users. Path on windows explorer address bar shows "This PC >...
  6. Backup data, perhaps user profile, from dead enscrypted PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Backup data, perhaps user profile, from dead enscrypted PC: HelloWe have recently started deploying all new PCs with Secure boot and encryption.Now, one is dead motherboard it seems and we need to get out the users data, preferably the whole user profile!/SB...
  7. User profile Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User profile Issue: I was trying to change my username in C: drive instead I ended creating two folders with all my files and now windows has created a TEMP folder and all of my new details are being saved into that folder. Please Help on how to have a permanent user name folder with a desired...
  8. User profile issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User profile issue: Hello all So when I restart my laptop, I have the option to login as administrator or there is another username. I can login as administrator but apparently all my files are under the other profile. The password I previously used says it's wrong. When I login as admin, I...
  9. Problems gaming on my main user profile

Problems gaming on my main user profile: Since like mid 2017 i've had problems playng CSGO on my main Windows user profile. The game stutters massively and have very high input lag. The CPU clock speeds go below 1.9 GHz (2.6 GHz is the usual) so I assume it's thermal throttling. But it only happens in my main user!...
  10. New user profile issue

New user profile issue: In my work we have a 1 desktop/laptop, that are connected to a domain, per user. In some cases someone has to sign on to another users PC. This is when the issue arises. As soon as another user logs on to the PC the windows search does not work, when you search for anything...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortana broke in user profile