Windows 10: Could a DCOM error be causing this BSOD?

Discus and support Could a DCOM error be causing this BSOD? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, new here. I've gone through a long, tumultuous drama with my desktop PC and a certain blue screen. I will try my best to be brief but here's a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ScottyMcGee, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Could a DCOM error be causing this BSOD?

Hi, new here.

I've gone through a long, tumultuous drama with my desktop PC and a certain blue screen. I will try my best to be brief but here's a detailed history. My specs are in the usual spot, as detailed as possible from Speccy.

-Computer is now a little over a year old. Had a BSOD about kernel security check failure right from the get-go. I thought it was because Windows didn't update these optional updates. I downloaded those optional updates and it was fine for a long time.

-I can't pinpoint exactly when, but sometime this past summer the BSODs happened again. I believe it has to do with Windows 10 because they became more frequent after the automatic update. The BSODs happened one of three ways - 1: my USB drivers would suddenly stop working, and then the BSOD would happen soon, 2) whenever I downloaded a large file over the Internet (i.e. a game over Steam or Battle.net, etc) the installation would take forever because I kept getting interrupted by a BSOD or 3) I'd leave the PC idle for a long time and return to it having restarted because of a BSOD

-Over time, the BSOD ONLY HAPPENED in situation number 2. This still became intolerable when I wanted to download a really big game - the new Doom through Steam. It wouldn't reach 3% without hitting a BSOD.

-I learned about Event Viewer and saw many DCOM errors. I tried fixing the DCOM errors by changing permissions and making sure that the properties under DCOM Config were set to Local Activation and Local Launch, like everybody says. The awkward part - they were already checked. So I was confused and unsure what to do. Other times I couldn't find the DCOM key or whatever in the DCOM Config (but that could just be me starting to lose my sanity at that point). I also used BlueScreenView but that didn't help much because I tried EVERYTHING to diagnose the issue - SFC scan now, chkdsk, device manager, anti-virus and malware check - ALL OF THAT came out okay. I even checked to see if everything inside the computer was attached correctly.

-It gets stranger - I went on safe mode with networking to download Doom. No BSOD! I was able to reach 20%. I stopped though because IMO there was no sense in fully installing it because I didn't want to just ignore this problem by finding some lazy bypass.

-I reinstalled Windows 10 but saved my files - still got BSOD afterwards. This time I was trying to download something as innocuous as Firefox. Still got interrupted twice in a row.

-I then wanted to reinstall Windows 10 and delete EVERYTHING (I backed up my files in my laptop). The computer went haywire and kept throwing BSODs at me every time I wanted to reinstall a second time. For a few minutes, I couldn't access Microsoft Edge or even ACCESS THE WIFI. But then, sporadically, I was able to reset the entire computer and start from a clean slate.

-Clean slate - PC is practically void of anything except Windows 10. I go to download Firefox - get BSOD yet again. At this point, I am starting to think I am in hell.

-Event Viewer is cleared up EXCEPT FOR ONE DCOM error. NO OTHER ERRORS EXCEPT THIS ONE, which I shall post here right now:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
    and APPID
    {F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

-I tried installing Windows 10 updates but got interrupted by yet another BSOD. The Event Viewer showed that this DCOM error occurred right after I clicked to update.

-Like before, I tried fixing the DCOM error in the DCOM Config but, like before, everything is already checked for Local Activation and Local Launch. The odd thing is I can't reverse the ownership of F726 blah blah blah back to TrustedInstaller, which worries me because I don't want to screw anything up so I just stopped fiddling with DCOM Config and regedit.

I'm completely beat a this point. I haven't slept well in the past two nights because this issue kept me up working on it. So I found this site and this is my one last cry for help.

Attached are the necessary files. These are after the first reinstall though. If I should have one from my PC now after the clean slate, let me know. I'll get it later today after work.

Final note: The BSOD is 99.99% of the time a kernel security check failure. I think only once or twice throughout the entire history of owning this PC was it something else, but I unfortunately never bothered to write it down (but I believe one was a driver error)

Final final note: I can't remember if this was before or after the resurgence of blue screens this past summer, but I fell for using a driver update program called Driver Easy, or Booster, something stupid like that. It took me a couple weeks to realize it wasn't doing anything because it would say the same drivers it just updated were outdated for years, which didn't make sense. I hope that wasn't the reason or the catalyst in screwing things up. I mean, if I did a clean install and removed every single thing, wouldn't Driver Easy's effects be long gone by now?

Attachment 112107

:)

ScottyMcGee, Nov 30, 2016

2. Update failing

Hi SampathT,

the DCOM errors can be fixed quite easily by modifying some registry permissions and dcom permissions. Therefor you need to resolve the appid and clsid to an application/program name. Check out this site for a step by step tutorial:

Event ID 10016 The application-specific
    permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

The 2nd dcom error could be the cause of your 0x800F080D error.

Let me know if it helped

ChristianGude, Nov 30, 2016
  3. Error: "'This save slot is corrupt, this could be due to a failed cloud sync" while trying to launch Game Dev Tycoon on Windows 10

Hi,

We appreciate your time spent in resolving the issue.

I recommend you to install the available updates on your device, if found try to install them.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Also, check if there are any updates released for the game from Windows Store.

I suggest you to run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter
    further if in case you are still facing issues and check if it helps.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter, troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 30, 2016
  4. lifetec Win User

Could a DCOM error be causing this BSOD?

Both dumpfile are:
    Code: BugCheck 139, {3, ffffe580c6d7e050, ffffe580c6d7dfa8, 0} Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\MRVW24C.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for MRVW24C.sys Probably caused by : MRVW24C.sys ( MRVW24C+272f1 )[/quote] MRVW24C Mon Oct 29 04:22:31 2007 .
    This driver is from 2007 and (probably) not compatible with windows 10.
    Try to update to a windows 10 driver, else i suspect you need a other compatible windows 10 Wireless USB Network Adapter.

Driver Description: Linksys, NetGear, DLink or Marvell Wireless USB Network Adapter
    Driver Update Site: linksysbycisco.com
    This is your card PNP Device ID USB\VID_13B1&PID_0029\5&1D65B4DC&0&3

Also update this older/outdated drivers:
    ISCTD64 Tue Nov 27 20:52:34 2012
    Driver Description: Intel(R) Smart Connect Technology Device Driver
    Driver Update Site: Info here: Intel® Smart Connect Technology
    Check w/OEM - Also available at Intel Download Center: Search downloads

lifetec, Nov 30, 2016
  5. MRVW24C Mon Oct 29 04:22:31 2007 .
    This driver is from 2007 and (probably) not compatible with windows 10.
    Try to update to a windows 10 driver, else i suspect you need a other compatible windows 10 Wireless USB Network Adapter.

Driver Description: Linksys, NetGear, DLink or Marvell Wireless USB Network Adapter
    Driver Update Site: linksysbycisco.com
    This is your card PNP Device ID USB\VID_13B1&PID_0029\5&1D65B4DC&0&3

Also update this older/outdated drivers:
    ISCTD64 Tue Nov 27 20:52:34 2012
    Driver Description: Intel(R) Smart Connect Technology Device Driver
    Driver Update Site: Info here: Intel® Smart Connect Technology
    Check w/OEM - Also available at Intel Download Center: Search downloads[/quote] Thanks for replying!

The linksys link that you referenced isn't working for some reason. But I did go to the main site and I remember trying this already but unfortunately for my adapter model there's no update or firmware available. Linksys Official Support - Wireless-N USB Network Adapter

This was another thing I noticed that I forgot to bring up. Earlier this year, my mom got a new Linksys router for the house. I still use the old adapter that was part of the series with the old router. Is that enough to cause a BSOD like this? Maybe I just need a new adapter all together since this one is very old. But if this is the case, how come I was able to download that game with ease in safe mode? Is it maybe that a Windows 10 program or process conflicts with my adapter in normal mode?

I will try installing the other driver. If that doesn't work, I should probably then buy a much newer adapter right?

ScottyMcGee, Nov 30, 2016
  6. lifetec Win User
    Yes, i would buy a new adapter, i t is to old and gets only older and with a new adapter you will be future proof the next years.

What about the safemode, i don't known maybe in safemode windows use a standard/different windows driver.

lifetec, Nov 30, 2016
  7. Okay. . .so. . .I'm holding my breath here because I installed a new wireless adapter for Linksys. I now have a Linksys AC1200 Wireless Adapter. Model WUSB6300

When the setup was finished, it got a little wonky. The wifi dropped and wouldn't turn back on. It's treated like a USB stick so I'm able to safely remove it. I did that and plugged it back in again and now it's working fine.

However, Event Viewer is saying otherwise.

It said: The WSWUSB6300 service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly.(Event ID 7030).

I searched for that error and I found a source that said I should go to Services then find the WSWUSB6300 service in the list and in the Properties uncheck "Allow service to interact with desktop." Not sure if that did anything.

Twice Event 7031 came up saying: The WSWUSB6300 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 5000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

But the thing is I wasn't even aware that the service terminated because it was fine during that timestamp.

I turned on Steam to download the game Doom yet again.

IMMEDIATELY WHEN I DID THAT - the same old DCOM error popped up. So. . .here's hoping it's not the DCOM error after all.

I noticed in the Application events it had this to say about my new adapter when it got all wonky after the setup:

Faulting application name: WifiSvc.exe, version: 2.1.0.24, time stamp: 0x51e8ff33
    Faulting module name: WifiLib.dll, version: 2.1.1.22, time stamp: 0x5541f034
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00003464
    Faulting process id: 0x1a34
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d24c2e7bf384e9
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Linksys WUSB6300\WifiSvc.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Linksys WUSB6300\WifiLib.dll
    Report Id: 3e89349d-7d31-442d-8a23-4b23a7e75fdc
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Again, after I plugged it back in again, it seems to be working fine. So maybe I just needed to do that in order for it to work. I already made sure it was updated with the Windows 10 driver. So theoretically there should be any conflict.

So now I'm going to let Steam download Doom and hopefully come back a couple hours to see that nothing shut down.

ScottyMcGee, Dec 1, 2016
  8. Could a DCOM error be causing this BSOD?

Hey! So it worked! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I can download anything now without a problem!

ScottyMcGee, Dec 1, 2016
  9. lifetec Win User
    Great it is solved.
    Could you mark this thread as solved.

lifetec, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Could a DCOM error be causing this BSOD?

1. Could a DCOM error be causing this BSOD? - Similar Threads - DCOM error causing

2. DCOM error that causes pc to crash 10016

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DCOM error that causes pc to crash 10016: Hey guys,I've been getting this error that crashes my pc. Every time it crashes, it's always the same error in event viewer.Event ID: 10016The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID...
  3. DCOM error that causes pc to crash 10016

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DCOM error that causes pc to crash 10016: Hey guys,I've been getting this error that crashes my pc. Every time it crashes, it's always the same error in event viewer.Event ID: 10016The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID...
  4. DCOM error that causes pc to crash 10016

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. DCOM Error

in Windows 10 Customization
    DCOM Error: My system crashes whenever i open a particular game and if i look in event viewer!! i get error like The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54} and...
  6. Sudden BSOD, what could be the causing it?

Sudden BSOD, what could be the causing it?: [ATTACH] The BSOD was apparently caused by ntoskrnl.exe. System Info: OS: Windows 10 Pro version 20H2 build: 19042.789 CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 GPU: RTX 3080 Founders Edition Ram: 16GB DDR4 Cl16 3200Mhz Trident Z Royal Motherboard: Asrock x570 Taichi PSU: Corsair RM850x...
  7. DCOM error

in Windows 10 Customization
    DCOM error: I have an app from Canon which transfers images from my camera to the la[ptop. This has worked seamlessly for a couple of years. All of a sudden after a windows update? it won't run. from my own local administrator account. It will run from other accounts on the laptop. Canon...
  8. DCOM ERROR

DCOM ERROR: My laptop keeps crashing and the only thing i saw in my event viewer is DCOM error 10016 Error 1: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID Windows.SecurityCenter.WscBrokerManager and...
  9. DCOM Error

DCOM Error: Hi i have been having an issue with the following error: My surface pro displays a bluescreen a quick error message the pc has experienced an error. Boots to UEFI and I have to manually restart. I have done all my updates and I even went back to factory default and the issue...
  10. DCOM Error 10016 Causing Windows 10 to Freeze

DCOM Error 10016 Causing Windows 10 to Freeze: Hi, I am a technician that works at a local IT repairs store and we're experiencing increasing numbers of machines that have been bought in because of "freezing". After some investigation we have narrowed the issue down to DCOM throwing the error 10016 which is caused by a...