Windows 10: Couldn't see HDD after SSD reinstallation

Discus and support Couldn't see HDD after SSD reinstallation in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I believe that I have this little issue solved but I'd like some advice to make sure there isn't problem lurking. I've been having a problem with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dsscottage, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Couldn't see HDD after SSD reinstallation

I believe that I have this little issue solved but I'd like some advice to make sure there isn't problem lurking.

I've been having a problem with Win 10 getting corrupted. Making a long story less long, I've replaced my SSD with a new one and did a fresh install of Windows.

After the reinstall, I could see the SSD as drive C: in File Explorer but couldn't see my HDD which used to be drive D: prior to the replacement. The USB ports were labeled D:, E:, etc.

To fix this, I went into Disk Management and changed the drive letter of the USB drive D: to drive I:. Then, I labeled the HDD as Drive D:.

This worked but I got a message from Windows (lower right corner) asking what to do when the "removable drive D: was loaded".

The HDD obviously isn't a removable drive but it seems to work as it should.

Have I done the right thing or do I have a problem lurking?

:)

dsscottage, Aug 23, 2016
  2. dekanako Win User

Can't detect SSD when Installing windows10

i have both HDD and SSD my computer could detect the HDD but couldn't detect the SSD.

i am not sure if it is M.2 or SATA

i am trying to install windows 10 on the SSD but as you can see my PC couldn't detect the SSD so now i have installed windows 10 on my HDD.

Couldn't see HDD after SSD reinstallation [​IMG]

thanks for your helping hope you the best

dekanako, Aug 23, 2016
  3. Windows 10 / second HDD

I have 2 hard drives - SSD and HDD.

Win 8.1 on SSD, Win 8 on HDD.

After upgrading to Win 10 on SSD, I cannot see the second HDD.

I enabled the port in bios (you can see the HDD in Bios, but it was disabled) after that the Win 10 restored to Win 8.1.

Any ideas how can I upgrade to Win 10 + have the second HDD?

Thank you.

michaelmedvedi, Aug 23, 2016
  4. Couldn't see HDD after SSD reinstallation

My issue seems to be resolved.

I did have a problem with the D: HDD and the more things that I did in attempt to resolve it, the worse it became.

In the end, did another fresh install of Windows in the new SSD and formatted the D: drive in the process. (I had a good backup of the data on my HDD)

Now all seems well.

dsscottage, Sep 6, 2016
Thema:

Couldn't see HDD after SSD reinstallation

1. Couldn't see HDD after SSD reinstallation - Similar Threads - Couldn't HDD SSD

2. Second disk HDD not detected after reinstalled Windows 10 on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Second disk HDD not detected after reinstalled Windows 10 on SSD: I have used Windows 10 since I upgraded from Windows 7, but lately I got so many blue screens and restarts, that I today have installed a pure Win 10 20H2 to a new SSD. Fine so far, but the existing second drive, a 1500 GB Seagate Barracuda, is not detected. I went and bought...
  3. Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer: I heard that defragmenting an SSD is a bad thing, as there is no benifit to it and it just stresses the Flash. but as it seems the drive optimizer doesn't defrag an SSD, which would be good if it would actually correctly detect an SSD. my System has technically 1 SSD. the...
  4. Replace HDD with SSD in Laptop - Reinstal Windows 10

Replace HDD with SSD in Laptop - Reinstal Windows 10: I am a home user having HP Pavilion laptop - Windows 10, 1 TB HDD, 8GB RAM I intend replacing internal 1 TB HDD with 240 GB SSD Internal SSD will have only Windows 10, MS Office and other basic software HDD will be converted to external disk for storage. I have Windows 10...
  5. Reinstall after SSD replaced

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reinstall after SSD replaced: I've looked through the forum, but I'm not giving up yet. I refuse to admit I paid so much for a coaster. Dell Inspiron 7737 32GB ram 2TD SSD just turned off Windoes repair activated 1x then nothing SSD failed - I thought that clicking noise was the fan. I reseated the...
  6. Reinstalling Windows 10 on a different HDD/SSD

Reinstalling Windows 10 on a different HDD/SSD: So three years ago I bought Windows 10 on an USB and upgraded from Win 7, as you do. Now I made the decsion back then to save Windows onto my HDD as opposed to my SSD. Now I'm trying to reinstall Windows 10 onto my SSD in order to make my machine run a bit smoother, and It's...
  7. REINSTALL AFTER HDD TO SSD (not procedure question)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    REINSTALL AFTER HDD TO SSD (not procedure question): I had my Dell Inspiron 5559 Toshiba 1tb (came with laptop) stop mechanically working and decided to upgrade to a Samsung 860 SSD. I purchased this laptop refurbished and it DID NOT come with a installation disc. I downloaded windows 10 Home ISO to a thumb drive and got the...
  8. Reinstall windows 10 from hdd to ssd

Reinstall windows 10 from hdd to ssd: I want to install windows 10 on the new ssd, my currently windows 10 is on my hdd. I search on the internet that i have to remove the hdd before the new install but my laptop hdd is a little bit tricky to remove. Is there another way that i don't have to remove the hdd. Can i...
  9. Reinstalling windows 10 OEM after changing my HDD To an SSD

Reinstalling windows 10 OEM after changing my HDD To an SSD: Hi Can i reinstall windows 10 on my laptop if i change my HDD to SSD without losing my OEM windows 10 license ?? Thanx....
  10. See if Disk Type is SSD or HDD in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    See if Disk Type is SSD or HDD in Windows 10: How to: See if Disk Type is SSD or HDD in Windows 10 How to See if Disk Type is SSD or HDD in Windows 10 You can easily check to see if the disk type for your drives are SSD or HDD in Windows 10 without having to physically look at them or use 3rd party software. A...