Windows 10: Couldn't upgrade windows 7x64 Pro beacuse of small reserved partition.

Discus and support Couldn't upgrade windows 7x64 Pro beacuse of small reserved partition. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have problem with upgrade of windows 7. Can't do this beause reserved partion has 30MB (ACTIVE,SYSTEM), C: is Boot. First time i see such strange... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by superzegar, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Couldn't upgrade windows 7x64 Pro beacuse of small reserved partition.

I have problem with upgrade of windows 7. Can't do this beause reserved partion has 30MB (ACTIVE,SYSTEM), C: is Boot. First time i see such strange configuration. I can't extend reserved partition any of tools. What can i do?

:)

superzegar, Sep 21, 2017

2. Updating Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 to Version 1703 Error/Issues

“We couldn’t update system reserved partition” error [upgrading] Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...eserved-partition-error-installing-windows-10

Understand (and Get Rid of) the Mysterious Small Partition:

Understand (and Get Rid of) the Mysterious Small Partition

Quickly Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Couldn't Update System Reserved Partition

Best Fix: "We Couldn't Update System Reserved Partition" Windows 10

PA Bear - MS MVP, Sep 21, 2017
  3. Error : we couldn't update the system reserved partition while upgrading from Windows 7 pro to Windows 10.

*Original Title: UPGRADE FROM WINDOWS 7 PRO TO WINDOWS 10

In trying to use the Icon update, I keep getting" we couldn't update the system reserved partition".

Please help.

Thanks,

Ray

RaymondVega, Sep 21, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Couldn't upgrade windows 7x64 Pro beacuse of small reserved partition.

A screenshot of disk management would really help:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

Use Minitool Partition Wizard:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

You will take 100 MB (not GB!) from the front of the partition to the right of the System Reserved Partition, and then extend the system reserved partition into the free space. Hopefully, the C: drive partition is what is to the right of the System Reserved Partition. If there is a recovery partition in the way, you will probably have to move it to the right.

NavyLCDR, Sep 21, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    You will use MiniTool Partition Wizard to move the left edge of the C: drive partition to the right by 100MB (not GB!), that will create 100MB of unallocated space after the System Reserved Partition, that you can then add to it. When you click Apply, MiniTool will reboot the computer and you will get a very scary looking black and white text screen - just let that finish out. Then the System Reserved Partition should be large enough for the upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Sep 21, 2017
  6. Dear All,
    Sorry for my late response. I was on holiday. Minitool, EaseUS tools, AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard all of them are not able to extend partition. Only shrink.
    I
    Couldn't upgrade windows 7x64 Pro beacuse of small reserved partition. [​IMG]

superzegar, Oct 10, 2017
  7. 91fw Win User
    My plan would be to use image recovery which permits adjusting partition sizes. Like this:
    Using a bootable rescue/recovery disk or USB flash from Macrium or similar make an image of your 3 partitions.
    Don't image from running Windows.
    Then verify/validate the image.
    Then boot once more to the recovery.
    Select System reserved partition and tell recovery to change its size to perhaps 1.4gig and make sure to retain Primary and Active flags. Recover it.
    Then recover the Windows and your New partitions, both primary. Disconnect the recovery system and restart.
    Job done.

I can't write details because I suspect the good helpers here can guide you through Macrium steps since that's the favourite imaging on this forum.
    I use another imaging program and have done exactly the procedure I described on a MBR/Legacy drive several times.

One other way is to use gparted from a live Linux boot. But in either case, the Windows and New partitions have to be relocated.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

It's much easier to just resize the existing partitions.

NavyLCDR, Oct 10, 2017
  9. 91fw Win User
    @NavyLCDR,
    Resizing from the left never worked for me in Windows7. But I'm not an expert like you *Smile

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    MiniTool Partition Wizard resizes from the left very easily in Windows 7 or Windows 10. You just adjust the free space you want in front of the partition rather than the end. I'll post a screenshot when not on my phone.

NavyLCDR, Oct 10, 2017
  11. Jimmyb Win User
    If you opt for a "Clean install" Windows 10 software will let you delete partitions, which you then "unallocate" these will joined together to be a single large unallocated drive (or partition) and off you go.

Jimmyb, Oct 10, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    How would the OP activate the clean install of Windows 10?

NavyLCDR, Oct 10, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

@91fw,
    This is resizing from the left in Windows 7 with MiniTool. You can adjust the number in the box for "Unallocated space before" box, or click and drag the left edge of the partition.

*Name: Capture.JPG Views: 1 Size: 164.4 KBAttachment 157470[/quote] @superzegar,

You have to shrink the partition next to the reserved partition by 100MB from the left (as shown in my example above, but only 100MB) before you can extend the recovery partition into the 100MB free space that will be created.

NavyLCDR, Oct 10, 2017
  14. 91fw Win User
    @NavyLCDR,
    Wow. What a nice tool *Smile
    The image recovery would be doing the same thing - before and after and size job, so this is a nice one step thing, though it does say backup first.

You are suggesting just 100 meg extra space to be eventually added to the Active system partition.
    Is that really enough? On my ThinkPad laptop when I had had just Win7, 639 meg was used, and now dual boot with Win10 it's 640MB out of a total of 1.46 GB initially built by Lenovo. Just curious about the large size differences (superzegar has just 30) ... this might be getting OT by now.

15. NavyLCDR New Member
    130 MB total for a System Reserved partition that contains only the boot files is plenty. Anything larger than that required would be to include recovery files.

NavyLCDR, Oct 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Couldn't upgrade windows 7x64 Pro beacuse of small reserved partition. - Similar Threads - Couldn't upgrade 7x64

2. Couldn't Update System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Couldn't Update System Reserved Partition: Every time I Try to Update, I Get the Error Message: We Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition I tried Deleting My Fonts but It Still Shows the Error...
  3. Couldn't Update System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Couldn't Update System Reserved Partition: Every time I Try to Update, I Get the Error Message: We Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition I tried Deleting My Fonts but It Still Shows the Error...
  4. System Reserved Partition too small

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Reserved Partition too small: I have a windows 10 build 1909 ... two years ago I had trouble updating to 1909 due to System Reserve Partition too small. At the time I worked with a program and probably have made a mess. 1909 has reached end of support and once again I have the same issue ... I want to...
  5. System Reserved Partition too small

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Reserved Partition too small: I have a windows 10 build 1909 ... two years ago I had trouble updating to 1909 due to System Reserve Partition too small. At the time I worked with a program and probably have made a mess. 1909 has reached end of support and once again I have the same issue ... I want to...
  6. System Reserved Partition too small

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. we couldn't update the system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    we couldn't update the system reserved partition: Trying to download Windows 10 (I have Windows 7) here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 I go through that DL process and it shoots an error message: "we couldn't update the system reserved partition" and I find this is a pretty common error message...
  8. Windows Couldn't update the system reserved partition

Windows Couldn't update the system reserved partition: I kept getting the error message in the title line at Windows Update to version 1607, and I assumed that it was because there was little space in my SSD. I've now increased capacity and continue to get the error message. How do I overcome this? What do I need to look for...
  9. "We couldn't update the system reserved partition" win10 upgrade error

"We couldn't update the system reserved partition" win10 upgrade error: Hi, I am running win 8.1 and I want to upgrade to win 10. It show me this message: [img] This is my HD: [img] Any idea how to solve this problem??? 11844
  10. Win 10 Upgrade Error: Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition

Win 10 Upgrade Error: Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition: I have a Vaio laptop and migrated my factory Windows 7 install to an SSD about a year ago, which apparently left me with no system reserved partition. I used these instructions to create a new system reserved partition, but I'm still getting the same 'Couldn't Update the...