Windows 10: Couple of Q's from a W10 newie

Discus and support Couple of Q's from a W10 newie in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, Can anybody tell me why the transfer rate from my W10 PC to a USB flash drive is so terribly slow? Gawd, nearly an hour to transfer 14Gb.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lffoar, Jan 11, 2018.

1. lffoar Win User

Couple of Q's from a W10 newie

Hi all,
    Can anybody tell me why the transfer rate from my W10 PC to a USB flash drive is so terribly slow?
    Gawd, nearly an hour to transfer 14Gb.
    And how the hell can I remove the infernal rectangle of translucent colour around desktop icon when I hover over them.
    Tried the system/advanced/performance trick, unclicked everything, tried various things but still there *Mad
    TIA

:)

lffoar, Jan 11, 2018

2. Windows 10 upgrade

I received the W10 upgrade(from 8.1) a couple of months ago. Very happy with it. Then a couples of weeks ago I received a new W10 upgrade.

Today, the new upgrade has disappeared and gone back to the original version of W10. Its not a problem but seems strange!

Any thoughts?

RobG1228pa, Jan 11, 2018
  3. Nokia 6500 Slide - couple of Q's

Hi

I have been using my 6500s (Firmware v8.30) on Orange for a couple of weeks now and have had no problems as such but I do have a couple of questions which I hope I can get answered in this forum?

Ok, first one is with regard to keeping the # key pressed to go into the Silent Mode. My previous 6300 did this ok and my wife's new 6500s (Firmware v8.30) on Virgin also goes into 'silent mode' after pressing the # key but when I press my # key, all I get
    is the # key.

Any reason why this is happening?

Also, as stated above, my wife's new 6500s on Virgin has a PTT icon in the menu, but that icon is missing from my menu. I only noticed this when setting up her phone and I've no doubt that there may be icons that I have and are missing from her 6500s but, PTT
    is not a new option and I would have thought that Orange would have supported it?

Regards

Brave01Heart

Message Edited by brave01heart on 29-Dec-2008 04:39 PM

brave01heart---01, Jan 11, 2018
  4. Couple of Q's from a W10 newie

Are you certain you were using a USB 3 stick in a USB 3 port?

My machine has multiple USB 2 & USB 3 ports (expansion card).

On my W7 PC, it would take:
    • Roughly an hour to transfer that much data using USB 2
    • Roughly 6 minutes to transfer that much data using USB 3

lehnerus2000, Jan 11, 2018
  5. EdTittel Win User
    I won't enter into the "infernal rectangle" (great word choices, tho! ;-) but as far as USB flash drives go, that depends on the speed of the USB connection, and the speed of the USB flash device itself. If you'd care to be more specific about your host PC, USB type, and make/model of flash drive, I (and other forum regulars) may be able to opine about whether or not what you're experiencing is par for the course, or if it represents some kind of potential issue.
    Thanks!
    --Ed--
    PS added 37 minutes later: I'm guessing it's no coincidence that Lehrnerus's math points out that 1 hour (give or take) is par for the course for USB 2. Still want to have you confirm what you've got, though.

EdTittel, Jan 11, 2018
  6. lffoar Win User
    Thanks men,
    The one that took all the time was 14Gb to a Sandisk Cruzer 16Gb (USB2) in a USB3 port
    Just did a run with the same 14Gb to a Sandisk Extreme 16Gb (USB3) in a USB3 port.....less than seven minutes *Smile
    Soooo, who's an impatient little boy then? *Rolleyes

OK, happy with that but what about these rotten rectangles around the desktop icons? *Mad
    Grrrrrrr, I want my W7 back *cry

lffoar, Jan 11, 2018
  7. CountMike New Member
    What about what rotten rectangles around the desktop icon ?I have none.

Couple of Q's from a W10 newie [​IMG]

CountMike, Jan 11, 2018
  8. mrgeek Win User

"And how the hell can I remove the infernal rectangle of translucent colour around desktop icon when I hover over them."

??? If this is what you mean, that's the normal highlighter when you hover mouse over icon and stays there if you single-click it. It goes away with a mouse-click on empty desktop area until you hover over a different one or double-click to open shortcut.

mrgeek, Jan 11, 2018
  9. lffoar Win User
    ??? If this is what you mean, that's the normal highlighter when you hover mouse over icon and stays there if you single-click it. It goes away with a mouse-click on empty desktop area until you hover over a different one or double-click to open shortcut.

[/QUOTE]

So this is a standard thing? Why do M$$ keep changing things that aint broke?
    I'm starting to hate this W10 computer but I do need a new anchor for the boat....hmmmmm???

lffoar, Jan 11, 2018
  10. CountMike New Member
    Icon background changing color at mouseover is there since XP days.

CountMike, Jan 11, 2018
  11. When you select something there needs to be some way to show you what you've selected.
    That's what those "rotten rectangles" are for.

margrave55, Jan 12, 2018
  12. lehnerus2000, Jan 12, 2018
  13. Bree New Member

Yes, it works in 10, but it isn't what you think it means. The 'translucent rectangle' is the box that appears when you click-and drag on the desktop to select multiple items. It becomes a dotted outline instead of a colored box if you turn it off. It has no effect on the 'rotten rectangles' - they're still there even if you turn off all visual effects.

14. lffoar Win User
    I've unticked the bit in the performance options/visual effects, plus did the regedit in Shawn's tutorial but the listviewalpha is already 0.
    Guess I just gotta live with it. Oh for the good ol' days.....XP......W7
    Thanks for your input guys *Smile

lffoar, Jan 12, 2018
  15. CountMike New Member
    If nothing, it's less pronounced on W10. With a wrong setting and theme + background color, on XP they would become unreadable.

CountMike, Jan 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Couple of Q's from a W10 newie - Similar Threads - Couple Q's W10

2. Windows Q&A

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Q&A: Can I download Windows Copilot and Phone Link for iOS and iPadOS on Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-qa/5e7d8c52-44e1-44da-8262-10e643779cb7
  3. Windows Q&A

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Q&A: Can I download Windows Copilot and Phone Link for iOS and iPadOS on Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-qa/5e7d8c52-44e1-44da-8262-10e643779cb7
  4. Rookie Q

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Rookie Q: Hey guys - on my parents' PC - and their windows update keeps failing. Checked the windows version, and it's 1803. No way it can get all the way to 2004, right? That HAS to be the reason. Before I went ahead and started playing with the settings, I checked with MSFT. For...
  5. Printing from website Q

in Browsers and Email
    Printing from website Q: Hi all :) Does this go here? Or is there a "printing forum"? I cant get into specifics about what site, but in a general sense... Please have a look at the (somewhat sloppy) representation of a webpage I put together. Clicking on any of the fields (in the title, vers, or...
  6. Couple of questions on installing an older build of W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Couple of questions on installing an older build of W10: My old laptop (Acer Aspire 9301 from 2006) will not even install the latest builds, and 1803 ran very badly. At the moment I'm back to Vista and Google Chrome. I feel I would like to have a last ditch attempt at running an older build such as 1703 or 1709 (whcih I have used...
  7. A couple of q's - startup programs automatically and broken start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A couple of q's - startup programs automatically and broken start menu: Hello, I'm trying to run programs upon boot in W10 but it doesn't work. I have put them in Start folder and if I go to Task manager I can see the programs are there as well in Startup tab and enabled...but they will not start. I have to manually launch them anyway. I...
  8. A couple of graphics related issues in W10

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    A couple of graphics related issues in W10: A couple of graphics related issues in W10.Firstly, a message often pops up saying ''NVidia graphics driver has stopped responding and has recovered''. Even after downloading most recent driver. Secondly, I have now noticed that when my PC is in sleep mode for any length...
  9. W10 newbie Q: re disksnapshot

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 newbie Q: re disksnapshot: Hello Ten, I found Solved disksnapshot.exe? - Windows 10 Forums and I found What does disksnapshot.exe do? and what is it? - WindowsInstructed. I'm wondering, what does Windows do with the snapshot taken to check the health of the disk. Does Windows record or report disk...
  10. New to W10 - imaging Q

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New to W10 - imaging Q: Hey all *Smile Have been using W7, where I have Acronis to image my C drive. What is the recommended way to image the C drive in W10? Is Acronis still a good way to go? Should I use the W10 imaging system - called ICD, I think? Thanks in advance. 74130