Windows 10: CPU is stuck in OC mode and not stepping down

Discus and support CPU is stuck in OC mode and not stepping down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Asus G752VY, I76700HQ @ 2.60, 32 gb Ram, NVidia 980m, Samsung 960 Pro 500 GB Windows 10 Pro 1709 16299.98 Two things I'm noticing first off using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Clintlgm, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Clintlgm Win User

CPU is stuck in OC mode and not stepping down

Asus G752VY, I76700HQ @ 2.60, 32 gb Ram, NVidia 980m, Samsung 960 Pro 500 GB Windows 10 Pro 1709 16299.98

Two things I'm noticing first off using HWinfo 64 and CPUID HWmonitor, and Performance monitor, my I76700HQ @ 2.60 CPU is stuck in OC mode and is not stepping down at all, the only stepping is 3.0 to 3.3.
    In addition I have Core 1 running 90% + 100% of the time.
    Resource Monitor is showing that System NT Kernel & System has 207 threads running and aver ageing 12.29% CPU nothing else in Resource monitor stands out.

My power setting advanced CPU Min 5% Max 100%

This is the 2nd time this has happen on this notebook, the first time it was after a windows update. A 2nd update came out a few days later fixed it.

This time it started with a BIOS update. I have run the latest windows update hoping it would do some magic but no joy.

Are there any other windows setting I can check or set to get the CPU Stepping again?

So this problem was going on for a couple of weeks, today after posting this issue. I decided I would go into my BIOS and see if there was any setting that would effect the CPU Usage or Clocking. I checked every nook and corner of that BIOS and nothing there about the CPU and any settings at all. So I closed out with out saving and guess what my CPU is stepping normally my core 1 is working normally I have no issue. I also have no Idea why this issue happen in the first place I do know is started with the BIOS update. I have no Idea how just opening up this BIOS again and looking through every setting possible finding nothing to help my issue closing with out saving? I'm Fixed?

CPU is stuck in OC mode and not stepping down [​IMG]

:)

Clintlgm, Dec 2, 2017

2. g3258 deathloop

im using g3258 cpu on H81m-e33 motherboard with latest bios. VGA is gigabyte gtx 660. i think this problem begun after this update June 2015 Intel CPU microcode... everything works with 1 core enabled
    or default OC settings. but if i enable 2 cores and OC cpu ist deathloop ant windows logo. need fix for that or maybe its posible somehow unnistall this update on windows 10 10240???

MaksimKriukas, Dec 2, 2017
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    I have just bought a new computer with i7 - 5930k. I just wanted to know what is stable overclock for my i7 processor.

Try an overclocking specialty site. This site is more for day to day Windows issues.

- I can say that not all cpu's are created equal. You never know what OC it will handle until you test it.

Also know that whatever level you can safely OC to it will reduce the life expectancy of the cpu to some degree.

Higher voltage and clock speed results in higher temps regardless of the capability of the cpu, and this

impacts on lifespan.

Most OC enthusiast probably don't keep their machines long enough to experience the reduced life expectancy of

their cpu though (unless they go extreme, or are not lucky ) .

- If you don't already have an aftermarket cooler you will need a good high end air or liquid cooler.

- Having just had a quick look at a review... If you are using DDR4 RAM this can reduce the OC potential of this cpu.

- What graphics card are you using ? Are you wanting to run 4K or 1080 ?

- Personally. I've never OC'd and never had a problem with a cpu bottleneck (I do tend to use 'k' series because

of the perception of a higher binned cpu being better quality than one they would not select for unlocking though).

BossDweeb, Dec 2, 2017
  4. doorules Win User

Cstates enabled in bios, speedstep also can should be enabled, although they would usually be enabled by default. These can most times be found under cpu power settings or some such heading.

doorules, Dec 2, 2017
  5. HI,
    So you didn't use optimize defaults and if not why not ?

ThrashZone, Dec 3, 2017
  6. Clintlgm Win User
    Asus don't give us many setting in the UEFI/BIOS on these gaming notebooks, I still have no idea how just opening and closing the BIOS with out any changes solved my issue.

Clintlgm, Dec 3, 2017
  7. Clintlgm Win User
    Actually when running this BIOS update it automatically set everything to default. On boot up after the BIOS install the Notebook wouldn't boot. I had to go back in to the BIOS and set SATA to AHCI and turn off fast boot.
    I don't use optimized default on this Gaming notebook because it came with SATA set for RAID to run the m.2 ssd. I Had just lately reinstalled and had it set to run then NVME driver SATA set to AHCI. Also I don't like fast boot. Some how after a couple of week with this issue, just me opening the BIOS and going through it no changes at all and exit without saving any changes solved the issue. I have no Idea why, wish I had thought of it sooner. But I know these BIOS's and Asus doesn't give us any setting for CPU there at all. I know this. But I said to myself I'll go look just incase there was something new in the 304 BIOS. If not I was prepared to roll back to the 303 BIOS. But when I booted back up after the check the CPU has started working correctly again. Sometimes you just never know.

Clintlgm, Dec 3, 2017
  8. Clintlgm Win User

Thanks for all the quick responses to my issue

Clintlgm, Dec 3, 2017
  9. Helmut Win User
    In Power Options. Manufacturers often add in sections for a specific Laptop.
    If you remove ASUS specific stuff you may have problems and/or settings issues.
    For that processor it has a configurable TDP-down and this is usually configured by manufacturers.
    In Processor power management there should be System Cooling Policy, and Max/Min processor state.
    System cooling policy matters as well, in mine Active/Passive.

You can make up your own plan, several, to test out options.

In Laptops they restrict what you have access to in the UEFI as you can make a terrible mess.
    Your illustration looks OK.

Helmut, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. CPU is stuck in OC mode and not stepping down - Similar Threads - CPU stuck mode

2. My pc is stuck in this recovery mode, pls tell step by step how do i repair it and how to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc is stuck in this recovery mode, pls tell step by step how do i repair it and how to...: Pls help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-is-stuck-in-this-recovery-mode-pls-tell-step/7088f876-d668-4c4b-87ec-210c0eeb5bcf
  3. My pc is stuck in this recovery mode, pls tell step by step how do i repair it and how to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc is stuck in this recovery mode, pls tell step by step how do i repair it and how to...: Pls help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-is-stuck-in-this-recovery-mode-pls-tell-step/7088f876-d668-4c4b-87ec-210c0eeb5bcf
  4. Hi, I'm stuck at this step of the check. Previously, this step was skipped and then the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi, I'm stuck at this step of the check. Previously, this step was skipped and then the...: Fixing D: Stage 2: 100% 2 of 2; Total: 58%; ETA 0:03:57 ... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-im-stuck-at-this-step-of-the-check-previously/c8eb1bc5-78ab-4f8d-a427-a78521755f0d
  5. Hi, I'm stuck at this step of the check. Previously, this step was skipped and then the...

Hi, I'm stuck at this step of the check. Previously, this step was skipped and then the...: Fixing D: Stage 2: 100% 2 of 2; Total: 58%; ETA 0:03:57 ... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-im-stuck-at-this-step-of-the-check-previously/c8eb1bc5-78ab-4f8d-a427-a78521755f0d
  6. CPU stuck at 50 percent like a step sis.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU stuck at 50 percent like a step sis.: I have a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10. My specs are - i3 3110M 2.4GHz, Nvidia GeForce GT 720M, 8GB RAM. Sometimes when I use my laptop extensively, suddenly my CPU gets stuck at 50%. When I am playing Valorant, suddenly my fps drops from 60 to 25-30, then I check my CPU...
  7. creating OC assembly

in Windows 10 Customization
    creating OC assembly: Hello. My name is Max. I am 15 years old. I want to make my build of Windows 10 ultralight. I want to remove all components, functions and services completely. For this, I need to know which Windows components belong to which services and functions. I need your help. Tell me...
  8. OCS app error

OCS app error: Hello I have recently instal OCS application and when I tried to start a video I received an error message : error=MF_MEDIA_ENGINE_ERR_SRC_NOT_SUPPORTED: HRESULT-0xC0262500 I tried to reinstalled the application but the problem remain ... What could I do ? Thank...
  9. KB4100347 breaks OC on specific CPU's - What to expect?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB4100347 breaks OC on specific CPU's - What to expect?: Greetings. New Microsoft/Intel microcode update KB4100347 breaks Haswell-E and Broadwell-E overclocks Recording to Guru3d.com Microsoft update KB4100347 breaks the OC and return the CPU to default clock. What is likely to happen at this issue? A new BIOS/Firmware or a new...
  10. CPU not stepping/clocking down when Idle?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU not stepping/clocking down when Idle?: I just noticed that my i7 2600K (overclocked) is not stepping down when idle in Win10 (10166). I haven't even checked in another build. But when switching back to win 8.1 no problem. Stepping down in MHz and Volt. I have minimum to 5% and max to 100% in power settings in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should I overclock if processor is not stepping down