Windows 10: CPU recommendations for a lot of video conversions

Discus and support CPU recommendations for a lot of video conversions in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there anybody got any ideas on what's a good CPU to use for a whole slew of Video conversions --essentially converting losslessly from m2ts to mp4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Nov 5, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

CPU recommendations for a lot of video conversions

Hi there
    anybody got any ideas on what's a good CPU to use for a whole slew of Video conversions --essentially converting losslessly from m2ts to mp4 / mkv or with slight loss to HEVC H265.

Poor old laptop with i5 cpu running jobs overnight isn't the right tool for this job --my NAS server also doesn't have a very powerful CPU (not needed for things like file share / media streaming).

I was thinking of looking at an older dual XEON Mobo (if I can find one) as I think the multi-threading is proibably better than just the number of cores - but I'm open to suggestion here. Bog standard i7 probably won't be significantly be better than the i5 for this job unless it has a load more cores as well as hyper threading.

Thanks guys - in advance.

I'm quite OK at building kit --it's the CPU I'm basically interested in here -- the graphics card per se doesn't have to be special as it's not going to be a gaming rig.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 5, 2017
  2. Dirge-san Win User

Video conversion

Try Handbrake. Its free, converts almost any format, and has presets for devices including the iPod. The software can be a little intimidating at first but its easy once you get the hang of it. It also has a tremendous amount of user control if you want
    to customize your videos. Video conversion takes a lot of processing power, meaning the faster the CPU, the faster to video conversion. A slower CPU will work. It'll just take a longer time, possibly longer than the video.

Dirge-san, Nov 5, 2017
  3. N96 very slow to upload movies

I'm going to guess that you are using Nsuite or PC Suite or OVI suite to load the video.

This is a normal, yet very frustrating experience.

The best way to load videos into your N96 is to use a dedicated Video encoder and converter and then use Mass storage to load the video.

There are many video encoding solutions out there, if you like I can recommend some. Some are free, some are not. It all depends on how much you want to spend in time or money.

For the detailed settings to use for N96
    go this this post

For instructions on how to download and use SUPER (a free very powerful encoder)

go HERE

OVI suite is a little bit better at handling video conversion than Nsuite or previous Suites, so you may want to try that. But don't expect great experience.

In general while video conversion is taking place you don't want to be using the PC as encoding is very CPU intensive. IF you use the PC you will make the process take longer!. Also keep the conversion utility or program as the forefront of WIndows otherwise
    the priority will be lower.

el_loco---01, Nov 5, 2017
  4. CPU recommendations for a lot of video conversions

the i5 should have plenty of power to do the job. i was converting videos overnight using a core2duo e8400. if you're looking for a cheap cpu for the job try what i have a amd fx 6300. i have and am very pleased with this builds performance.

xXWhackerXx, Nov 5, 2017
  5. pparks1 Win User
    I would look at a ryzen cpu for that type of task. The 1700x and 1800x keeps you in the $300-$500 bracket.

A threadripper 1920x will do very well with this task around $800.

pparks1, Nov 5, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    The choice for a CPU, will depend on the conversion software you will use.
    Some software leverages speed, and other cores/threads.
    Also some will leverage your GPU more(OpenCL), there a 1070 or better a 1070Ti could be enough.

Cliff S, Nov 5, 2017
  7. no need to spend 300 much less 800. first should find out if his mobo will handle an i7.

xXWhackerXx, Nov 6, 2017
  8. pparks1 Win User

Well considering his i5 was in a laptop, I think you can pretty much ascertain that it's not going to upgrade to an I7.

pparks1, Nov 6, 2017
  9. alright fair enough, but make no mistake he does not need to spend that kind of money on a processor. right now he can get an i7 laptop for under 800, so should be able to get a really good amd3+ laptop for less.

xXWhackerXx, Nov 6, 2017
  10. Hi,
    Only question I have are you looking for a processor for your laptop or a new laptop with that processor or are you starting a new build entirely ?

Any of the X series chips will work I'd imagine also thread ripper is another valid suggestion too *Smile
    Issue with the X series is mostly heat delidding cures that issue but does void the warranty too.

ThrashZone, Nov 6, 2017
  11. pparks1 Win User
    If he wants to significantly improve his performance, it won't happen on a sub $800 laptop. I was making a suggestion based on improving his performance dramatically.

pparks1, Nov 6, 2017
  12. Hi,
    Yep I liked your suggestion *Smile

ThrashZone, Nov 6, 2017
  13. CPU recommendations for a lot of video conversions

This is from someone who has a laptop encoding at any given time ( Me *Smile ) :

1 - The more cores the better .
    2 - Threads are virtual blahs and would only give a marginal gain if you plan to encode multiple files at same time .
    3 - i7 does better than an i5 on same clock speed (That was the intention really) .
    4 - GPU Acceleration if supported by encoder significantly increases encoding speed up to x2 .
    5 - NVIDIA encoding acceleration does better than AMD encoding acceleration .
    6 - No need for a cutting edge GPU presence , a GPU does a significant difference but the faster the GPU gets is really marginal (NVIDIA 840M acceleration vs GTX1060i were almost identical) .
    7 - The optimization of the encoding program itself does a significant difference , and even program version , here is a list sorted to my preference :
    a - Any Video Converter Ultimate 6.2.0 or 5.9.3 (The fastest out there , more optimized for NVIDIA)
    b - Avidemux 2.5 (The most reliable version , the rest have instabilities , performs similar to above but with a marginal loss of quality)
    c - VSDC Pro 5.7.7.694 (More optimized for AMD GPU and may freeze with NVIDIA)
    d - Sony Vegas Pro 13 (Doesn't recognize GPU acceleration)

nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 6, 2017
  14. not even remotely true as i said i was doing what he's doing on a core2duo e8400 system, so yes on a "SUB" 800 i7 system he can greatly increase his performance.

xXWhackerXx, Nov 6, 2017
  15. pparks1 Win User
    He is on a core i5 already and its taking much longer than he wants. Clearly, you can process on lower end cpus, or older e8400s like you have, but if he wants it to run dramatically faster, he needs a good size jump. Since he was considering a dual xeon mobo, he's looking for a significant processing improvement.

First and foremost, getting off a mobile cpu and mobo will provide more processing performance. I would always use a desktop over a laptop for this type of task if i could.

pparks1, Nov 6, 2017
Thema:

1. CPU recommendations for a lot of video conversions - Similar Threads - CPU recommendations lot

2. Is Zamzar.com recommended for 3G2 file conversion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Zamzar.com recommended for 3G2 file conversion: Is Zamzar.com safe and recommended for 3G2 file conversion https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-zamzarcom-recommended-for-3g2-file-conversion/1b267987-2489-4103-95fb-230201bc535e
  3. Is Zamzar.com recommended for 3G2 file conversion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Zamzar.com recommended for 3G2 file conversion: Is Zamzar.com safe and recommended for 3G2 file conversion https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-zamzarcom-recommended-for-3g2-file-conversion/1b267987-2489-4103-95fb-230201bc535e
  4. Video conversion

Video conversion: I have many family videos on DVD In the Video TS format. They have become useless in that format won't play on win 10 PC and I need to convert the files so they can be played anywhere.I need help and suggestions as to do this using Video Conversion software. The videos are so...
  5. Video conversion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Video conversion: I have many family videos on DVD In the Video TS format. They have become useless in that format won't play on win 10 PC and I need to convert the files so they can be played anywhere.I need help and suggestions as to do this using Video Conversion software. The videos are so...
  6. Video conversion

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. video conversion

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    video conversion: Any reason why I can no longer download and convert video files on windows 10? Thank you for whoever has any advice. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-conversion/6750b377-2a8c-47d3-9dd5-10e75a3c51f6
  8. Please recommend a Video Editor?

Please recommend a Video Editor?: I have some videos of me talking, and I wanted to find a FREE Video Editor application/software that has video templates where I can insert my videos into it, and make nice professional looking videos? Does such a free video editor exist for Windows 10? Or only paid ones?...
  9. Recommended video software apps?

Recommended video software apps?: I'm being told that Movie Maker is not available for Windows 10, and so is the rest of the Windows Live suite. So now what? What's the alternative for Movie Maker up at this point? 12092
  10. Recommend Video Card

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Recommend Video Card: Converted a Dell XPS 630i to win 10 at owners request and am having trouble with the dreaded VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (nvlddmkm) BSOD. It has 2 x Geforce 8800 GT cards in it. A lot of people seem to be having this problem. Can anyone please recommend a lower end card that has...