Windows 10: CPU speed at 0.48Ghz during low battery

Discus and support CPU speed at 0.48Ghz during low battery in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, On my laptop, I have noticed that the CPU speed is dramatically reduced from 1.98Ghz to 0.48Ghz whilst low on battery. As soon as I plug the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by soopg, Oct 23, 2016.

1. soopg Win User

CPU speed at 0.48Ghz during low battery

Hi,

On my laptop, I have noticed that the CPU speed is dramatically reduced from 1.98Ghz to 0.48Ghz whilst low on battery. As soon as I plug the laptop in, the CPU speed returns to 1.98Ghz. This loss of CPU speed has a great impact on system performance, rendering the laptop near useless.

My laptop is running an Intel Core i3, and I believe that the technology which controls the speed of the CPU is called SpeedStep. There is no option in the BIOS to turn this feature off. I have also tried to change this setting in the 'Power Plan' options (in Windows). I changed the minimum processor state to 100% and the cooling policy to 'Active'.

I would like to keep my CPU running at 1.98Ghz. Any suggestions?

(see this photo for clarification)

Many thanks.

:)

soopg, Oct 23, 2016
  2. maybei Win User

CPU and GPU clock speeds drop under load

I'm having a weird problem with my laptop where, every few seconds during playing high-load games, the CPU and GPU both drop speed sharply for a second, causing a big slowdown in framerate. (For instance, the CPU speed will suddenly drop from about 3.4 GHz
    to less than 0.8 GHz). At the same time, the screen's brightness will dip as well, which suggests to me that it's related to my power settings. It also seems to happen more frequently when I'm charging a low battery than when the battery is full - I've even
    had it happen while streaming video when I'm charging from a low battery.

I've tried switching my power plan settings so that everything is the same for "On battery" and "Plugged in", which solves the brightness changing but does not solve the speed drop. I've also tried monitoring the temperatures of the GPU and CPU but they never
    seem too high. I've tried clean installs, updating drivers, etc. I don't have anything overclocked. I've had the laptop for a about a year and the problem is quite new, and seems to be getting worse.

System:

Gigabyte P55 WR7 notebook

Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.8GHz

16 GB RAM

NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

[Moved from: Windows/ Gaming on Windows 10]

maybei, Oct 23, 2016
  3. N82 Processor vs. N78 Processor

All mobile CPUs will set their frequency into a low level after an amount of free time to save battery life. So if you want to check check the speed, it will mostly return the lowest one.

fineday---01, Oct 23, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

That can happen and is somewhat normal depending upon how the manufacturer implemented it. I have done it and seen others do it by changing the power scheme to an always-on Desktop. Of course that depletes the battery much faster. But then Windows takes a lot of its settings from what the BIOS makes available.

Berton, Oct 23, 2016
  5. soopg Win User
    Hi there,

Many thanks for your reply.

What do you mean by an always on power scheme? How would I go about enabling this?

soopg, Oct 23, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    Haven't needed it but it worked on WinXP in the Power Options in Control Panel, just need to check Power Options, Balanced, Change plan settings, Change advanced power settings. Some Notebooks may not have exactly the same thing as brands can have their own version of controls.

Berton, Oct 23, 2016
  7. soopg Win User
    Hi there,

Sorry, but I am still not sure what your point is.

If I go to "Control Panel, just need to check Power Options, Balanced, Change plan settings, Change advanced power settings" and change the minimum CPU state to 100%, no change happens, as I stated in my original post. You can see my settings in the screen shot linked to the original post.

Thanks

soopg, Oct 24, 2016
  8. Berton Win User

Guess it's time for a new machine but maybe try a new battery?

Berton, Oct 24, 2016
  9. Bree New Member
    Power management and battery saving isn't the only thing controlling the CPU speed, there's also the cooling policy. Passive cooling reduces clock speeds to keep the heat down while active cooling favours boosting the fan speed. You should see 'System cooling policy' in your advanced power management settings.

10. soopg Win User
    Hi there,

Thanks for both of your replies.

Regarding Berton's reply, the laptop is only about a month old, so defiantly not time for a new one yet!

As for Bree's reply, the 'System cooling policy' is now set to active. However, the laptop continues to go to 0.48Ghz when low on battery.

Thanks again to both of you. *Smile

soopg, Oct 25, 2016
  11. Bree New Member
    Perhaps a silly question, but there's a 'Maximum processor state' setting there too. What's that set to?

12. Berton Win User
    A month old? Should be in warranty, battery also, 1-year unless extended was purchased. But most replacement batteries carry only a 1-year warranty.

Berton, Oct 25, 2016
  13. LMiller7 Win User

It is possible that the hardware is overriding user settings in a low battery situation. If that is the case there is nothing you can do.

LMiller7, Oct 25, 2016
  14. soopg Win User
    I think that I am getting somewhere!

First, I will address each of the solutions.

The maximum processor state is also set to 100%!

I do not believe that the battery or hardware is at fault, so I will not be returning the laptop. *Smile

Yes, I believe that this is the case.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________

Okay, now for what I hope is the solution!

My laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 500-15IBD. I found that this problem is very common among Lenovo laptops, and the only way to solve it is to download a program called ThrottleStop and turn off the 'BD PROCHOT' setting. This had an immediate effect: my laptop is now below 30% (this is the point that it previously throttled) and running at the full 1.98Ghz.

This is the information helped me (from this Lenovo forum)

Let's hope that this issue is now resolved.

Many thanks to everyone who posted, all the help is appreciated. *Smile

soopg, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. CPU speed at 0.48Ghz during low battery - Similar Threads - CPU speed 48Ghz

2. CPU USAGE HIGH,, CLOCK SPEED LOW

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU USAGE HIGH,, CLOCK SPEED LOW: Hey thereSo I have a very strange issueMy PC has a RYZEN 5 5500U Its base speed is 2.10ghz and a turbo boost of 4.0ghzBut for some reason, it's been stuck on 1.81ghz or 1.20 GHz even at 18% utilization I don't know what is bottlenecking itI have another laptop also with a...
  3. CPU USAGE HIGH,, CLOCK SPEED LOW

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU USAGE HIGH,, CLOCK SPEED LOW: Hey thereSo I have a very strange issueMy PC has a RYZEN 5 5500U Its base speed is 2.10ghz and a turbo boost of 4.0ghzBut for some reason, it's been stuck on 1.81ghz or 1.20 GHz even at 18% utilization I don't know what is bottlenecking itI have another laptop also with a...
  4. low cpu usage and fps drop during games

low cpu usage and fps drop during games: First of all if you can answer my question in Turkish I will be happy. Yesterday I upgraded my GPU and bought new m.2 SSD. after that I installed Win 11. Win 11 automaticly installed AMD software that I never use. Because my gpu is nvidia and I am using that. After that I...
  5. Low CPU Speed While Gaming on Battery Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low CPU Speed While Gaming on Battery Mode: Hi, so the problem started recently on my laptop. My CPU speed when not gaming is around 2.3 GHz and above. However, whenever I play a game, my CPU clocks down to 0.79 GHz and stays there until I close the game. I also checked my temperature while gaming, which is around 60...
  6. Low CPU Speed While Gaming on Battery Mode

Low CPU Speed While Gaming on Battery Mode: Hi, so the problem started recently on my laptop. My CPU speed when not gaming is around 2.3 GHz and above. However, whenever I play a game, my CPU clocks down to 0.79 GHz and stays there until I close the game. I also checked my temperature while gaming, which is around 60...
  7. LOW CPU SPEED WHILE GAMING

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LOW CPU SPEED WHILE GAMING: I have a problem with my laptop L340-15IRH Gaming Laptop IdeaPad. it started 2 weeks ago.my CPU goes from 4.19 GHz to 0.9 GHz after 5 min of playing any game like control assassins creed unity/origin/Valhalla/ battlefield 5 / Nioh 2 then sudden FPS from something like 60 fps...
  8. Is high Cpu speed better for games or low?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is high Cpu speed better for games or low?: I opened Task Manager and went to View, then I saw an option called "Update Speed". I clicked it and it had a few options for increasing and decreasing the CPU speed. It worked but my question was that should I increase my CPU speed when gaming? Will it change the game...
  9. CPU Low Utilization and Low Core Speeds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU Low Utilization and Low Core Speeds: I have Dell Latitude E6530 Core i7-3720QM 2.60ghz and nvidia nvs 5200m For the past month or so my cpu core speed won't go above 0.90ghz and CPU utilization stays below 10% .I tried reinstalling Windows Resetting Computer but none worked. Note:I don't know if this relates...
  10. CPU at low speed after windows 10 update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU at low speed after windows 10 update.: hi! I updated my windows today and after update i got the notification that windows could not install the update. So naturally i went and clicked check for update in settings. At this point i realized that my computer was very slow. I opened task manager and my CPU speed had...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my pc CPU speed became 0.48

2. cpu throttled .48ghz

3. does cpu ghz go down when battery is low

4. cpu capped at 0.48ghz,
  5. cpu at .48ghz