Windows 10: CPU temp -- is this running too hot ?

Discus and support CPU temp -- is this running too hot ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there running a fairly heavy but not unduly load the CPU seems to be running at about 75 deg C peak -- Avg about 61 deg C. Is this likely to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Aug 13, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

CPU temp -- is this running too hot ?

Hi there

running a fairly heavy but not unduly load the CPU seems to be running at about 75 deg C peak -- Avg about 61 deg C.
    Is this likely to cause trouble over prolonged periods.

I know that these devices can run extremely hot but I don't want to break it if adding more cooling can sort it out.

Any hardware gurus out there --is this OK or should I try and take remedial action.

CPU temp -- is this running too hot ? [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 13, 2015
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Nvidia drivers suddenly start to crash constantly

"I deactivate the turbo mode of my bios an that solve the problem."

Good to hear. The stock turbo speeds generally don't cause issues. Perhaps your case cooling is not adequate for the turbo clock speeds,

or your case fan dust filters or cpu cooler fins are clogged with dust ?

Stock cpu coolers are not the best for gaming machines either. If your case has room for an after market cooler using one may also help.

The Coolermaster Hyper 212X (X is the latest version of this well regarded cooler model ) is a good budget model single fan cooler.

Real Temp is a good cpu temp monitoring tool that you can use to verify if the cpu is running a bit too hot... Real Temp

Cheers - BD

BossDweeb, Aug 13, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Fake high CPU usage - High fan usage - Windows 10

If your CPU Temp is at 75°C, it is running hot, that is why the fan is running constantly That processor has a max temp of 105°C and I would expect it to idle at about 50°C So there are 2 possibilities, some process(es) are using a lot of CPU or the thermal
    paste between the processor and the heatsink might need replacing I rather think it is some process is causing this. A couple of things to check: What power plan is set in Control Panel - Power Options, it should be set to balanced, if it is set to performance,
    that would cause your processor to run hot If you open Task Manager, on the performance Tab, with your system idle, what is the utilization and running speed On Task Manager, on the Process Tab, click on the CPU heading so the arrow is facing down, what are
    the top few processes

DaveM121, Aug 13, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Ideally CPU temp should be in 35~45 C and for laptop it will be a little higher. Your temp is high but still within range. However, if you do some heavy Audio/Video Editing then the temp will raise up to hell. Try to clean up with dust blower and double check if the heatsink is properly seated. You might also want to put new thermal paste on the CPU.

Here's what mine look like running @4.7GHZ but again I am using H2O cooling.

CPU temp -- is this running too hot ? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Aug 13, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

That's more like what I'd expect.

I've been doing some video transcoding which is probably quite heavy but cpu at idle still seems to run at around 40 deg C.

I rather am dubious of trying to break it open to add thermal paste etc --the CPU was supplied as a unit with the whole heat sink / fan assembly as a package. I'll also see if a bigger (or another) fan inside the case will make any difference.

The room in which the computer is in runs at around 20 - 22 deg C with the other equipment working so not overtly hot.

Haven't got the luxury of Water cooling on this computer !!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 13, 2015
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    For a veteran of these forums, you don't help by giving the hardware specs of the machine you are enquiring about (slap wrist)!

Have you made sure the chipset drivers are recent Intel/AMD/Nvidia etc., rather than Microsoft generic versions that came with Win 10, jimbo?
    see the stickies at the top of this Drivers and Hardware forum for the main updaters and analysers for your system.

These can make differences with extra wait cycles, CPU throttling etc. The right Rapid storage drivers, and Speedstep configuration all help to reduce bottlenecks, and thus temperature. There may be BIOS adjustments too that may be tweaked, which will make a difference in core temperatures.

As an aside, the P4 in my spec always has been notorious as a CPU that tends to run hot, it regularly soars to above 75 when both the threads are at 100%, occasionally hitting the 90s - and that's in an 11-y-old processor, and when idling gets as cool as 57 deg only. But there is no throttling, so it always gives its all, which is very different from modern multi-core CPUs.

Fafhrd, Aug 13, 2015
  7. That's normal - don't do anything.

All CPUs work much hotter under duress.
    Handbrake in particular is a right ******* when it comes to racking up the core temps!
    Your idle temps are what they should be.
    If these are your maximum temps you are posting then your system is running exactly how it should be... at least temperature wise.

Do it if it gives you peace of mind.
    CPUs switch themselves off before they get too hot.

teachermark, Aug 13, 2015
  8. Antilope Win User

I agree. 40C at idle is normal. 60C or 70C under a load is normal.

I recently purchased a refurbished 4 year old business desktop. CPU temperatures at idle were 60C. I took off the CPU fan/heat sink and the thermal compound was totally dried out. I cleaned heatsink and CPU top surface (an old plastic credit card works great to remove dried thermal compound without scratching metal surfaces) and applied new thermal compound. Now idle temps are 37C to 40C. So if you have a system that is a few years old and unexplained high CPU temps, check the thermal compound.

Antilope, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. CPU temp -- is this running too hot ? - Similar Threads - CPU temp running

2. Cpu hot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cpu hot: Hey,I have msi g65 thin 10UE and today I opened it and was trying to install something and I did but after I installed it my cpu became too hot without doing any tasks and the fans are running like crazy. I thought it was a virus so I did a virus and malware scans using...
  3. Cpu hot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cpu hot: Hey,I have msi g65 thin 10UE and today I opened it and was trying to install something and I did but after I installed it my cpu became too hot without doing any tasks and the fans are running like crazy. I thought it was a virus so I did a virus and malware scans using...
  4. Windows update causing my CPU to run hot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update causing my CPU to run hot.: Good day,So after I did the last update on the 15th of Oct, my PC will be idling and for some reason the CPU usage jumps up to 30% and temp sits at 60degrees.Now the strange thing is, as soon as I open task manager the CPU usage drops down to 3% and the temp goes back to...
  5. Windows update causing my CPU to run hot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update causing my CPU to run hot.: Good day,So after I did the last update on the 15th of Oct, my PC will be idling and for some reason the CPU usage jumps up to 30% and temp sits at 60degrees.Now the strange thing is, as soon as I open task manager the CPU usage drops down to 3% and the temp goes back to...
  6. Windows update causing my CPU to run hot.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. is my pc running too hot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    is my pc running too hot: so is my pc running to hot[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-my-pc-running-too-hot/0a489ccd-1376-45ec-8dab-327042cb19da
  8. How hot should my CPU be running?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How hot should my CPU be running?: So my new laptop's fans are coming on every now and then which I guess is normal... but is it? So for example I'm watching Netflix on the Windows 10 app... fans come on... They're on right now, and this window is the only one I have open Edge, just this one tab I...
  9. Is my CPU running too hot?

Is my CPU running too hot?: I have an Intel NUC. Recently, shortly after I started watching video in Firefox, the computer shut down suddenly. I suspected that it was thermal overload, so the next time I started my computer I looked at the CPU temps using Open Hardware Monitor. They range from 60C to...
  10. CPU Running Extremely Hot

CPU Running Extremely Hot: Hi all, this is my first post to the forum. With Windows 10 showing up on more computers every day, I decided to take the leap and upgrade my operating system. I figured that I would need to know it in order to service my client's computers - however, doing so has provided me...