Windows 10: CPU throttle, even on 'high performance' power plan

Discus and support CPU throttle, even on 'high performance' power plan in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello tenforums! I have been having some really annoying performance problems after upgrading my laptop from win8 to win 10. My laptop is a asus... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Linkyyy, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Linkyyy Win User

CPU throttle, even on 'high performance' power plan

Hello tenforums!

I have been having some really annoying performance problems after upgrading my laptop from win8 to win 10.
    My laptop is a asus ux32vd, with an Intel i7-3517U cpu.(normal core speed: 1.7ghz, turbo: 2.4ghz)

CPU-Z is showing ~990mhz constantly, no matter how high load there is on the cpu, and what temperature it is(usually around 50-60C).

I just cant figure out what is going on, and why it keeps throttling. Everything is running really slow, chrome is slow, facebook is like a pain in the ass to scroll through. Tried resetting the power plans to default, that didnt work. sometimes it helps changing power plan, and the restarting, but its not consistent at all.

Anyone who know what it could be?

:)

Linkyyy, Nov 15, 2015
  2. Herman2 Win User

Resource Monitor and Task Manager showing incorrect CPU usage, or is my CPU capped at 33%?

Your CPU is not running at maximum frequency. See the first screenshot in the top next to the blue bar graph. I'd suggest to check the power settings of the laptop, and set it to "High Performance" (in windows 10 you will need to go to 'additional power
    settings'). You can also check the settings of the power plan to confirm it is not throttling the CPU, under advanced power settings and then processor power management. The CPU may also be throttled because of high temperatures.

Herman2, Nov 15, 2015
  3. Win10 CPU Throttling

You should be monitoring temperatures anyway

I have not noticed any weird throttling

I use ssd's and a high performance power plan with the proper ventilation and cpu cooler melting a cpu is not likely going to happen CPU throttle, even on 'high performance' power plan :)

Your computer would shut down before that would happen

Of course stock cooling from manufactures especially laptops all bite CPU throttle, even on 'high performance' power plan :)

ThrashZone, Nov 15, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Go into BIOS. Look for C1E state and disable it.

topgundcp, Nov 15, 2015
  5. Linkyyy Win User
    Im running the newest BIOS version available for my device, version 214.

The BIOS is very limited, there is no "C1E state" option available *Sad

Linkyyy, Nov 16, 2015
  6. Berton Win User
    When I've seen that I usually fixed it by going to Power Options in Control Panel and change the use of the portable to either Desktop or Always on then rebooted. Seems Windows gets stuck on the Speed Step function and needs to be 'woke up'. Sometimes going back to the original setting works but not always, not a problem if a person keeps it plugged in, not traveling with it. Usually the only effect is a shortened charge when not plugged in.

Berton, Nov 16, 2015
  7. Maugli Win User
    Two suggestions spring immediately to mind: 1) perform a thorough virus and malware check with a proprietory antivirus checker. Make sure it is up to date first. Spyware and malware are notorious at slowing down otherwise roadworthy PCs. 2) Maybe you need more RAM. Go on Crucial.com - DRAM, solid state drive (SSD) memory upgrades for Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq, Lenovo, Acer, ASUS and run the ram tester to see if you can install more RAM. You don't need to actually buy it there necessarily!
    Also you could try checking in system monitor if there are any processes which seem to be taking up a lot of memory. Rogue processes sitting in RAM could slow down your PC a lot.
    Having said this my PC did also slow down noticably when I upgraded to Windows 10. I hope that helps somewhat.

Maugli, Nov 16, 2015
  8. Linkyyy Win User

Thanks for you answers!

Berton, hmm yea that might be a fix, but that is not really a proper fix. :/

Maugli, I started scanning it now to see if there is any malware.
    i have 10gb of ram in it, that should not be an issue.

Ive noticed that in ressource monitor is states that its max cpu frequency allowed is 40%. I also noticed when i ran a stress test through cpu-z, task manager only showed 40% cpu usage. So somehow there is a lock on the cpu frequency. the power plan is allowing 100% cpu usage with/without charger connected..

Linkyyy, Nov 16, 2015
  9. Maugli Win User
    It could be your DRAM settings and your Front Side Bus. these could be set by the manufacturer in the factory for safety reasons. To prevent overheating. There are forums concerning "overclocking" e.g. Latest OCAU News - Overclockers Australia I can't recommend any or vouch for the results however. It might be that the type of RAM you are using or the RAM timing is preventing the CPU going any higher. Laptops are difficult to overclock unless you have a top end latop that supports overclocking. As you say some CPUs are locked by the factory settings.

EDIT: Oh and I wouldn't trust the software that is telling you it is only running at 40%. May not be 100% accurate.

Maugli, Nov 16, 2015
  10. Linkyyy Win User
    Well it was working fine, scaling like it should etc. on windows 8, so i dont see how any hardware related shouldve changed by formatting to windows 10.
    So far i havnt had a single moment where i was convinced that the upgrade to win10 was worth it, it has only been dissappointment after dissappointment since i installed it..

EDIT: no malware was found.

Linkyyy, Nov 16, 2015
  11. Geneo Win User
    Check the Minimum and Maximum, processor state in the Performance power plan's advance setting. Make sure they are both 100%. Sometimes they get mixed up when switching between plans.

Geneo, Nov 16, 2015
  12. Berton Win User
    So you've ruled out the feasibility of doing that long enough to accomplish your task then returning to the defaults?

Berton, Nov 16, 2015
  13. toto1er Win User

Exactly the same problem here, same computer, same CPU, etc., no solution found. The only finding I made is that when I change the power setting, the CPU acts normally for maybe 10 minutes, then come again to 0.98ghz with a full load at only 40%. I made all the update and upgraded the drivers. What can be the problem ?

toto1er, Mar 14, 2016
  14. Linkyyy Win User
    Hey toto1er.
    I thought i got it fixed but it still didnt work properly. I actually formatted my harddrive and rolled back to win8.1 again. One user replied to my topic on reddit a few months ago, saying that he installed the DPTF win8.1 drivers and got his to work again. Here is the link to the topic: after upgrade to win10 CPU is constantly throttled : techsupport

Please report back if you try this!

Linkyyy, Mar 14, 2016
  15. You can always try a little and awesome tool called ThrottleStop *TongueProbably some kind of throttle by either turbo settings/power limit/tdp. Check that out.

andrer2926, Mar 15, 2016
Thema:

1. CPU throttle, even on 'high performance' power plan - Similar Threads - CPU throttle 'high

2. No "High Performance" power plan.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No "High Performance" power plan.: When choosing a power plan, only the "balanced" plan is available. Also, when creating your own plan, they offer a balanced one. The question is how to fix this and set more “Maximum performance”?...
  3. No "High Performance" power plan.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No "High Performance" power plan.: When choosing a power plan, only the "balanced" plan is available. Also, when creating your own plan, they offer a balanced one. The question is how to fix this and set more “Maximum performance”?...
  4. High performance power plan disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High performance power plan disappeared: Hi, My name is Miko , I have dell G15 with Windows 10I was using High performance mode in power plan from control panelBut suddenly it disappeared so I chose the balanced modeNow I can't restore it and the laptop is running slowI need help and I need to restore and use high...
  5. High performance power plan disappeared

High performance power plan disappeared: Hi, My name is Miko , I have dell G15 with Windows 10I was using High performance mode in power plan from control panelBut suddenly it disappeared so I chose the balanced modeNow I can't restore it and the laptop is running slowI need help and I need to restore and use high...
  6. High Performance Power Plan Disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High Performance Power Plan Disappeared: I am using the latest version of Windows 11 and I changed my power plan to "Balanced" just to try it out and when I went back into Control Panel to change it back to "High Performance", it was not there anymore. I tried a lot of suggested fixes that are on the internet but...
  7. High Performance Power Plan Disappeared

High Performance Power Plan Disappeared: I am using the latest version of Windows 11 and I changed my power plan to "Balanced" just to try it out and when I went back into Control Panel to change it back to "High Performance", it was not there anymore. I tried a lot of suggested fixes that are on the internet but...
  8. High performance power plan missing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High performance power plan missing: Hi, so it seems like high performnace power plan is missing in my new pc. I've tried a lot of methods, but they didn't work.PS: I already made a post about this, but no one replied....
  9. autounattend.xml High Performance power plan

in Windows 10 Support
    autounattend.xml High Performance power plan: In previous versions of Windows 10, a default installation would have 3 power plans, and you could simply make a choice. Now only the "Balanced" power plan exists and you have to create whatever plan you want. Using Windows System Image Manager, I created an autounattend.xml...
  10. High Performance Power Plan and Ultimate Performance Power Plan.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High Performance Power Plan and Ultimate Performance Power Plan.: What is the real difference between the High Performance Power Plan and Ultimate Performance Power Plan? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-performance-power-plan-and-ultimate/6625509a-a16e-4c61-a36f-a7c9a5d7ce5c

Users found this page by searching for:

1. either turbo settings/power limit/tdp