Windows 10: CPU throttling broken on Intel BayTrail tablets

Discus and support CPU throttling broken on Intel BayTrail tablets in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have reported this already about 8 months ago while being in the insider program over the Microsoft feedback tools, so I am very pleased that this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mkdr, Aug 1, 2015.

1. mkdr Win User

CPU throttling broken on Intel BayTrail tablets

I have reported this already about 8 months ago while being in the insider program over the Microsoft feedback tools, so I am very pleased that this bug still is present in the final version...

The problem is simple, and I have two friends whos Venue 8 Pro show the same behavior after upgrading to Windows 10.

I have tried a clean install too, I have tried the newest drivers for the Intel Z3700 series Dell had put online for Windows 10, without any success.

The problem is simple:

1.) Let Windows idle
    2.) Open TaskManager (or for example CPUz) and monitor CPU throttling

Under Windows 10, the CPU throttling seem to be broken for at least an Intel Atom BayTrail (3700 series). The CPU always stays around 1.3-1.7GHz @ 1-3% CPU load.

The same (normal) idle behavior under Windows 8.1 results in the processor correctly using it lowest energy states between 0.5-0.8GHz. This results in a way noticeable faster battery drain.

2nd bug, mostly related: The battery drain in connected standby is about 3 times higher (~1.1mW/h), compared to Windows 8.1 (~0.33mW/h). The normal drain, by Microsoft itself, is 0.3mW/h for a device supporting connected standby mode.

Heres a video showing problem 1:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...in10cpubug.mp4

You can see how the CPU throttling is not working properly always staying at mid-highe throttling state of the Atom CPU. Normal throttling would be 0.8GHz.

Here is how it should correctly be:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...throttling.mp4

(sorry for the bad quality)

On my desktop PC and my Asus Ultrabook the throttling work fine, so it seems a problem related to the Atom BayTrail drivers under Windows 10 or a combination of things.

:)

mkdr, Aug 1, 2015
  2. ipellant Win User

Lower CPU power throttling states not working correctly for Intel Atom BayTrail tablets

CPU throttling broken on Intel BayTrail tablets [​IMG]

Not a Baytrail problem

Windows 10240 Home on Unisurf 7" Tablet

ipellant, Aug 1, 2015
  3. November update broke my tablet [system_thread_exception_not_handled]

It seems as if most tablets are, at this time, broken by the latest release of Windows 10.

Not too surprising since even 8.1 has multiple driver issues as well and I am going to try Windows 7 on my baytrail...

It is said that, for one thing, the Cpu throttling is broken lately and the tablets overheat. In my case I am thinking if I endure a few more freezez perhaps Windows is learning the hardware for its object orientation . ...

William Landreth, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

CPU throttling broken on Intel BayTrail tablets

1. CPU throttling broken on Intel BayTrail tablets - Similar Threads - CPU throttling broken

2. Battery no longer charges, CPU throttled!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery no longer charges, CPU throttled!: Hello MS ninjas.I recently updated to Windows 11, but longer ago than 10 days, so I can't instantly downgrade to Windows 10.My previously perfectly good battery no longer charges and is on 0%. The laptop will not power up without being plugged in. I've seen that this is a...
  3. Battery no longer charges, CPU throttled!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Battery no longer charges, CPU throttled!: Hello MS ninjas.I recently updated to Windows 11, but longer ago than 10 days, so I can't instantly downgrade to Windows 10.My previously perfectly good battery no longer charges and is on 0%. The laptop will not power up without being plugged in. I've seen that this is a...
  4. cpu throttling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cpu throttling: when I'm at game or some thing that puts pressure on the CPU my CPU clock comes down and my laptop crashes for a few second as long as I continue that work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-throttling/d549268b-acac-4ac1-9d28-07109fe50d60
  5. cpu throttling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cpu throttling: when I'm at game or some thing that puts pressure on the CPU my CPU clock comes down and my laptop crashes for a few second as long as I continue that work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-throttling/d549268b-acac-4ac1-9d28-07109fe50d60
  6. Laptop CPU throttling at low temperature

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop CPU throttling at low temperature: So I have an Asus Zephyrus Duo 16 laptop, with an RTX 3080 Ti 16GB and a Ryzen 9 6900HX, and only recently I've been having stutters rendering some games unplayable- specifically Apex Legends.I found something, at times, my CPU will throttle up when nothing graphically...
  7. CPU throttling

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU throttling: I recently purchased a used HP Stream 14-ax010wm and did a clean win10 install. The issue is that the processor only runs at a maximum 30% .48ghz. When I start in safe mode it's functioning how it's supposed to. I've tried setting minimum cpu usage, disabled low power...
  8. Inspiron 15 3000 cpu throttling

Inspiron 15 3000 cpu throttling: My inspiron has been having so many problems lately. But when i want to record a video the audio is all choppy and popping i wanted to find out why so i i downloaded latencymon and its saying that my cpu could possibly be throttling and i need help on how to fix this cpu...
  9. CPU Utilisation Keeps Throttling Down

CPU Utilisation Keeps Throttling Down: I have no idea how this came about, probably cause of Window updates, though I reinstalled windows and it didn't fix that. I tried doing power options, physically cleaning CPU and reapplying thermal paste. So far, nothing is working and the following problems that come with...
  10. Prevent Cpu throttle on Battery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Prevent Cpu throttle on Battery: Hello, I recently upgraded my Laptop by adding an SSD with windows 10 pro. Now I noticed the computer throttles the cpu frequency whenever I'm on battery even on high performance profile. (In task manager I can see cpu frequency instantly dropping from 2.3-2.5 to 1.2 GHz as...