Windows 10: CPU usage when PC is idle

Discus and support CPU usage when PC is idle in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This is not an issue but more a curiosity. I have the old Windows cup / ram monitor running as a gadget on Windows 10. When the PC is idle for a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Scottyboy99, Dec 12, 2015.

1. CPU usage when PC is idle

This is not an issue but more a curiosity. I have the old Windows cup / ram monitor running as a gadget on Windows 10. When the PC is idle for a few minutes I notice the cup usage always spikes to around 10-13% and stays around that mark. As soon as I touch mouse and move it it then plummets to 0 or 1%. Is this normal? I wonder what it could be doing. It's not as if I can use task manager to see because as soon as I move the mouse or go to use the PC the usage returns to 0 or 1? I presume Windows is doing housekeeping stuff and it's a non issue?

cheers, Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Dec 12, 2015

2. CPU Usage 100%

PC starts with 100% cpu usage. It won't come down even cpu is left idle. Cpu fan won't stop, when temp are normal.

Vivek Rajbhar, Dec 12, 2015
  3. Windows 10 100% Disk Problem on Task Manager

"However I believe 100% disk usage on task manager is not normal. "

It's definitely not normal. When your system is idle (not working on anything), the CPU usage should be 1% or less.

Now sometimes there is background work that happens -- there's thousands of things the computer does on-schedule. So sometimes it's not going to be completely idle. I explain what those things are in my post about High CPU Usage in Windows 10:
    PSA: Windows 10 High CPU Usage

But outside of those things (or when those things are done working), the CPU should go back down. If not, that page will show you how to tell what background process is hogging the CPU and

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Dec 12, 2015
  4. CPU usage when PC is idle

Ok, I left task manager open and waited for a few mins in front of computer not touching anything. The service that starts up is system and compressed memory. It's always about 13% and seems constant when machine isn't in use. Like I say, as soon as I touch the mouse and move it the service reduces to 0. The actual memory amount this service consumes is only about 50 mb.

UPDATE - so I left it idle quite a while, about 20-25 minutes. Long enough for my screensaver to kick in. Of course when I touched the mouse to resume desktop cpu usage was at 0. What was interesting is I looked at c: drive (SSD) which had consistently been 247 Gb free but it had risen to 252 gb. And when I left the machine idle again for about ten mins the cpu usage stayed at 0. So maybe whatever the system was doing got enough idle time to finish. It'll be interesting to see after shutdown tonight whether this cpu usage rises again when I switch on again tomorrow - am hoping not. I guess it's similar to what I saw on Windows 7 (still faithfully on my older laptop) where I would notice the available free space, on occasions, fluctuate (mainly rising) after a decent amount of idle time. I'm not one to leave my machine on for prolonged periods when not using it and as the Windows 10 desktop is newish and I'm almost always doing stuff/installing stuff at the moment to bring it to similar functionality to my other laptop (mainly games) it gets very little idle time for more than a few minutes at most. So I wonder if this process also has something to do with disk space clean up too. For what it's worth fast startup is enabled on my machine (it was on by default - boy is startup fast!), I doubt it's relevant to this but maybe worth mentioning .

Scottyboy99, Dec 12, 2015
  5. Snakeyes Win User
    Might be swap file adjustments that are causing the change in your SSD storage. Try setting max and min for swap file at the same size and this fluctuation should disappear. The system and compressed memory is generally always active and its level of percentage CPU and memory usage is possibly linked to your CPU speed and physically installed memory.

Snakeyes, Dec 12, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
  7. I rebooted earlier and the cpu usage did not spike to 13% after leaving alone for about twenty mins so I guess whatever that service needed to do was finally given time to finish. I'll be keeping an eye on this but it seems all is well

Scottyboy99, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

CPU usage when PC is idle

1. CPU usage when PC is idle - Similar Threads - CPU usage idle

2. "System" process increases CPU usage when PC is idle or locked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "System" process increases CPU usage when PC is idle or locked: Hello there. I have had this nagging issue that's been ongoing for months now and I can't seem to find a reason why it's happening. It happens pretty much all the time and I can almost reproduce it on demand by either letting my PC sit idle on the desktop for a few minutes,...
  3. "System" process increases CPU usage when PC is idle or locked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "System" process increases CPU usage when PC is idle or locked: Hello there. I have had this nagging issue that's been ongoing for months now and I can't seem to find a reason why it's happening. It happens pretty much all the time and I can almost reproduce it on demand by either letting my PC sit idle on the desktop for a few minutes,...
  4. PhoneExperienceHost.exe high CPU usage when pc idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PhoneExperienceHost.exe high CPU usage when pc idle: Hi,When I come back to my laptop and it's gone into idle mode screen off I can hear the fans running fast, but as soon as I move the mouse the fans die off. I tried to figure out for a while what was happening and eventually set up perfmon to record what processes were...
  5. PhoneExperienceHost.exe high CPU usage when pc idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PhoneExperienceHost.exe high CPU usage when pc idle: Hi,When I come back to my laptop and it's gone into idle mode screen off I can hear the fans running fast, but as soon as I move the mouse the fans die off. I tried to figure out for a while what was happening and eventually set up perfmon to record what processes were...
  6. High cpu usage while idle.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High cpu usage while idle.: So for a while, I have been noticing that my CPU usage has been extremely high while idle. I have tried using commands such as DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth andsfc /scannow, and have also tried a malware scan on multiple antiviruses Avast, Malwarebytes, Windows...
  7. High CPU usage of System process when idle

High CPU usage of System process when idle: Hi my pc:108500K stock 4800mhz 2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming 1 TB SS I have updated Windows 10 to H20,the newest version. I installed windows 1 month ago with new pc. But have new issue....
  8. High CPU usage of System process when idle

High CPU usage of System process when idle: The System process uses amost a whole thread of CPU after PC is idle for a few minutes, and stops using CPU as far as I do something such as moving mouse or pressing keyboards. I tried to see the CPU usage per thread of System process by using a process explorer running in...
  9. 80% cpu usage idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    80% cpu usage idle: Title... over an hour of wmi provided host taking 30% anti malware taking 30% and other windows processes taking 20. Causing pc to thermal throttle to 83 celicus this is after the windows 10 June 9th update. submitted by /u/SmallPeensUNITE [link] [comments]...
  10. High CPU Usage at Idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU Usage at Idle: Hey guys, recently my W10 PC seems to be using a fair bit of CPU. I noticed this because my Battlefield 1 fps appeared to have dropped. First thing I did was roll back my nvidia drivers to the previous version, but then I noticed my cpu usage. I seem to be using 35-45% cpu...