Windows 10: Crash/Freeze Seems Random after adding a second USB external NTFS HDD

Discus and support Crash/Freeze Seems Random after adding a second USB external NTFS HDD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently added a USB WD MyBook external HDD. Also have a USB My Passport HDD. A few days after adding the MyBook, and every few days after that I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by lrw, Mar 1, 2018.

1. LRW
    lrw Win User

Crash/Freeze Seems Random after adding a second USB external NTFS HDD

I recently added a USB WD MyBook external HDD. Also have a USB My Passport HDD. A few days after adding the MyBook, and every few days after that I am getting system freeze, where the mouse and keyboard (also USB wireless) stop responding. Only way is to power off/on to get the system back. *Mad

I have tried a few UEFI tweaks with CPU power management but I confess, I don't have much clue what to do and if that is even helpful but it seems to be getting more frequent in the last day or two, maybe as a result of these adjustments.

If anyone has had a similar issue and fixed it, please point me in the right direction to get this solved. It will be much appreciated. I have attached the DM logs.

:)

2. FuzTheCat Win User

Windows 10 system thread exception not handled (ntfs.sys) on Dell XPS8700 Desktop COmputer

I am having exactly the same problem, also with the ntfs.sys driver.

It occurs on the original computer when I boot.

So I removed the hard drive from that computer and with a USB caddy, plugged it into another computer. After about 4 seconds, exactly the same error came up. Plugged the USB caddy into yet a THIRD computer. Again as soon as the HDD was plugged in and initialised
    that computer also immediately crashed with: system_thread_exception_not_handled (ntfs.sys).

So ... here we have a problem with the ntfs.sys driver that with a certain type of error in the ntfs file system of an attached drive, it will just crash.

OK, attached the drive to a Win 7 computer, no crash. Could then run chkdsk <driveletter:> /f to fix the NTFS errors. Connected back to Win 10 computer, not crashing Win 10 anymore, problem fixed.

NOTE: it would seem to me that there has been a regression in NTFS.SYS from Win 7 to Win 10 in that it now cannot gracefully handle situations it previously could.

FuzTheCat, Mar 1, 2018
  3. Windows10 Pro x64 Crash BSOD

Windows 10 seems not being able to handle USB external Hard Disk drives

OS crashs with a blue screen with a memory error, and then reboots and even if i leave the External HDD on, and pluged in, it boots up and fails to recognize a drive is plugged in.

The External HDD is fully functional and working with no problem with my other Win7 machine.

RicardoRSW, Mar 1, 2018
  4. Ztruker Win User

No dumps in the zip you uploaded. I do see lots of these though:

Code: 3/1/2018 11:41 PM Application Error Faulting application name: AI Suite II.exe, version: 1.0.2.51, time stamp: 0x00000000 Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.16299.248, time stamp: 0x13ae3814 Exception code: 0x0eedfade Fault offset: 0x001008c2 Faulting process id: 0x1dc4 Faulting application start time: 0x01d3b1b63307b878 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite II\AI Suite II.exe Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll Report Id: 5c06adfd-07ec-4840-b02c-fbc60a2b8aea Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:[/quote] Code: 2/23/2018 9:35 PM Application Error Faulting application name: AsSysCtrlService.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4cc00d4c Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.16299.248, time stamp: 0x13ae3814 Exception code: 0x0eedfade Fault offset: 0x001008c2 Faulting process id: 0xcdc Faulting application start time: 0x01d3acedf1715236 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsSysCtrlService\1.00.11\AsSysCtrlService.exe Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll Report Id: c90550b0-be05-4077-9463-1b04d7bd0002 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:[/quote] Both are part of ASUS AI Suite II . I suggest uninstalling it and see if that helps your problem.

Also, your Nvidia driver is version 388.13 dated 10/26/2017. Remove and install latest Nvidia drivers:

I suggest completely uninstalling the Nvidia display drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from WagnardMobile (near bottom of page) then get the latest driver for you Nvidia card here: NVIDIA Driver Downloads

Then do a custom install of only the NVidia graphics driver and the PhysX driver.

See if that gets rid of the problem.

Ztruker, Mar 1, 2018
  5. LRW
    lrw Win User
    Code: 2/23/2018 9:35 PM Application Error Faulting application name: AsSysCtrlService.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4cc00d4c Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.16299.248, time stamp: 0x13ae3814 Exception code: 0x0eedfade Fault offset: 0x001008c2 Faulting process id: 0xcdc Faulting application start time: 0x01d3acedf1715236 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsSysCtrlService\1.00.11\AsSysCtrlService.exe Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll Report Id: c90550b0-be05-4077-9463-1b04d7bd0002 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:[/quote] Both are part of ASUS AI Suite II . I suggest uninstalling it and see if that helps your problem.

Also, your Nvidia driver is version 388.13 dated 10/26/2017. Remove and install latest Nvidia drivers:

I suggest completely uninstalling the Nvidia display drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from WagnardMobile (near bottom of page) then get the latest driver for you Nvidia card here: NVIDIA Driver Downloads

Then do a custom install of only the NVidia graphics driver and the PhysX driver.

See if that gets rid of the problem.[/quote] Thanks Ztruker,

I have done the steps to remove the Nvidia drivers and reinstalled only the Graphics and PhysX ones back on. I'll see if that helps. It might take a few days for me to be sure it won't freeze again. I will post back in a few days or sooner if it does.

Cheers,

6. Ztruker Win User
    What about removing the ASUS AI Suite II?

Ztruker, Mar 2, 2018
  7. LRW
    lrw Win User
    I forgot ... but now I don't see it running or any uninstaller for it in Control Panel. Is there a manual method to remove it?

Thanks,

8. Ztruker Win User

Ztruker, Mar 4, 2018
  9. LRW
    lrw Win User
  10. LRW
    lrw Win User
    I'm not seeing any of the processes that are supposed to be ended in task manager. I did see USB 3.0 Boost Service but not the .exe that is in that linked solution.

I did stop the asComSvc service. Attempting to delete the C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\ASUS\ ran into a few locked file issues but used lock hunter to track them down and deleted / stopped a couple more services related to AI Suite and as able to clear the folders. Also cleared out C:\ProgramData\ASUS directory.

I could not find the cleaner.exe and it mentioned in the forum that it has be gone for a few years. I did not attempt ccleaner. I also did not reinstall AI3. I'm not sure if it is needed - is it?

Will reboot after I post this. Hope I'm back *Wink

11. Ztruker Win User
    Hoping that makes a difference.

Ztruker, Mar 4, 2018
  12. LRW
    lrw Win User
    I thought it was OK for a while but it didn't last two days. Froze again and had to hard boot. Should I collect new logs?

13. zbook New Member

1) Please run the beta log collector and post a zip into this thread:
    (use extract > open)
    log collector v2-beta08.zip

The prior logs displayed no BSOD.

2) In the left lower corner search type: system > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings >

a) under performance > click settings > on performance > click the advanced tab > under virtual memory > click change > post an image of the virtual memory window into the thread using a one drive or drop box share link

b) under startup and recovery > click settings > post an image of the startup and recovery window in the thread using a one drive or drop box share link

3) If the computer has Ccleaner > click the windows tab > scroll down to system and advanced > post an image into the thread

4) In the left lower corner search type: clean > open disk cleanup > scroll up and down > post images into the thread

5) In the left lower corner search type: reliability > open the reliability monitor > post an image into the thread using a one drive or drop box share link

zbook, Mar 5, 2018
  14. LRW
    lrw Win User
  15. zbook New Member
    1) For Ccleaner un-check:
    a) Memory Dumps
    b) Windows Log Files
    c) Close Ccleaner
    d) After the next reboot reopen Ccleaner and confirm the settings > post an image into the thread

2) For Virtual Memory:
    a) Move the dot from Custom size to System managed size
    b) Check Automatically manage paging file size for all drives
    c) reboot
    d) open the virtual memory window and confirm the new changes > post an image into the thread

3) For Startup and Recovery:
    a) un-check automatically restart
    b) Change write debugging information from Kernel memory dump to automatic memory dump
    c) reboot
    d) open the startup and recovery window and confirm the changes > post an image into the thread

4) Uninstall Avast:
    Avast Uninstall Utility | Download aswClear for Avast Removal

5) Turn on Windows defender

6) Uninstall AI Suite II

7) Run HD Tune:
    HD Tune website
    Post images into the thread for results of the tests on these tabs:
    a) Heath (SMART)
    b) Benchmark
    c) Full error scan

8) Run memtest86+ version 5.01 for at least 8 passes. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    This may take hours so plan to run it overnight.
    a) Please make sure you use the Memtest86+ version 5.01 with the link below.
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    The testing is done not by time but by passes.
    The more passes the better.
    There are a significant number of false negatives if fewer than 8 passes are made.
    A false negative is a test pass when there is malfunctioning RAM.
    There is 8 GB of RAM on the computer.
    Memtest86+ version 5.01 testing takes approximately 1 - 2 hours /GB RAM
    Just 1 error is a fail and you can abort testing.
    Then test 1 RAM module at a time in the same DIMM each for 8 or more passes.
    b) When Memtest86+ version 5.01 has completed 8 or more passes use a camera or smart phone camera to take a picture and post an image into the thread.
    Memory problems. - Microsoft Community
    MemTest86+ - Test RAM Windows 10 Tutorials

Code: Event[469]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2018-02-13T22:25:29.492 Event ID: 51 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Larry-PC Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR13 during a paging operation.Event[470]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2018-02-13T22:25:29.492 Event ID: 51 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Larry-PC Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR13 during a paging operation.Event[471]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2018-02-13T22:25:29.492 Event ID: 51 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Larry-PC Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR13 during a paging operation.[/quote]

zbook, Mar 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Crash/Freeze Seems Random after adding a second USB external NTFS HDD - Similar Threads - Crash Freeze Seems

2. external USB HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFS - This external USB HDD was in a PC...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external USB HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFS - This external USB HDD was in a PC...: Can you help...?===1Have Problem: RAW & 0 bytes --- external HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFSThis external USB HDD was in a PC, but when I have it plugin for the first time on other PCs has appeared as: RAW & 0 bytes===2afterapplied from cmd prompt as admin:chkdsk /f...
  3. external USB HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFS - This external USB HDD was in a PC...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external USB HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFS - This external USB HDD was in a PC...: Can you help...?===1Have Problem: RAW & 0 bytes --- external HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFSThis external USB HDD was in a PC, but when I have it plugin for the first time on other PCs has appeared as: RAW & 0 bytes===2afterapplied from cmd prompt as admin:chkdsk /f...
  4. external USB HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFS - This external USB HDD was in a PC...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PC crashes to BSOD randomly after adding page file to secondary hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashes to BSOD randomly after adding page file to secondary hdd: Hi, I was facing BSOD that said unexpected store exception. I have an acer aspire 3 laptop. It just randomly froze and showed BSOD mentioned above. Actually this occured some days after i added page file to my secondary drive which was a hard drive because i wanted to run a...
  6. PC crashes to BSOD randomly after adding page file to secondary hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC crashes to BSOD randomly after adding page file to secondary hdd: Hi, I was facing BSOD that said unexpected store exception. I have an acer aspire 3 laptop. It just randomly froze and showed BSOD mentioned above. Actually this occured some days after i added page file to my secondary drive which was a hard drive because i wanted to run a...
  7. External HDD/USB.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD/USB.: Hello. I have an external HDD docking station connected to my PC thru USB. Devine manager sees it. But Windows explorer does not. Suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hddusb/b0404c2e-056a-4c66-b461-1e5113dc9275
  8. Computer will not boot after adding second HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer will not boot after adding second HDD: I added a new HDD to my desktop. My computer started fine, but did not pick up the new HDD, so I restarted my computer. However, it did not boot. I disconnected the new HDD, but it is still not booting. I keep coming to this screen. [img] I tried solving the issue using...
  9. Hard Freeze's that seem random

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Freeze's that seem random: Hi there, For a little while now I have had trouble with my computer locking up randomly, this usually occurs while I am watching a video of some sort or playing a video game. But I have also come back to it being on with nothing running only to find it has locked up...
  10. Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS?: My toshiba 1tb external hard drive currently says it is a raw file system and i cant seem to format it no matter what i do. I dont care for what is inside (only one word file) but i just want to be able to use it again. Is there anyway i can format the HDD and make it usable...