Windows 10: Crashes, drives disappearing, no bootable device

Discus and support Crashes, drives disappearing, no bootable device in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Specs: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H rev 1.0 Intel i5 3570K @ stock GIGABYTE Geforce 670 Windforce 2gb @ stock Seasonic M12II 520 Watt Bronze 2x G.SKILL... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by shinray, Sep 24, 2016.

1. shinray Win User

Crashes, drives disappearing, no bootable device

Specs:
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H rev 1.0
    Intel i5 3570K @ stock
    GIGABYTE Geforce 670 Windforce 2gb @ stock
    Seasonic M12II 520 Watt Bronze
    2x G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4GB 1600 @ stock
    2x G.SKILL Ares 4GB 1600 @ stock
    Win 10 x64 Pro
    Win 7 x64 Ultimate
    Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB MKNSSDCR120GB
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB
    Hitachi Ultrastar HUA723020ALA641 2TB

MINIDUMPS HERE:
    https://puu.sh/rn5qY/deb81a44fb.zip

So I've been having issues with my computer ever since I did the upgrade to Win10. After upgrading, I never received my entitlement, and system was slow and unresponsive, had constant crashes and drives disappearing. I also reseated my cpu cooler and updated my bios from F18 to F20e at the time (since reverted).

I've tried:
    -Clean install of W10, fixed most of my instability issues. This led me to discover that my USB 3.0 ports are malfunctioning; will freeze for a second or two every few minutes.
    -drives continue to disappear after several hours. no clear pattern, sometimes will BSOD immediately after boot
    -resuming from sleep only seems to aggravate issues. have stopped sleeping

-reverted overclock on cpu
    -installed modded intel usb 3.0 drivers from WIN-RAID, has fixed issue for intel ports only (via modded drivers do not fix the issue). gigabyte website does not have up-to-date drivers for my board
    -ran memtest86 to completion, no errors
    -bought new hard drives (samsung and hitachi), cloned windows 10 to samsung from mushkin drive, installed win 7 onto mushkin drive. issues persist with gigabyte win7 drivers)
    - swapped sata cables around. NOTE: did not purchase brand new cables, only swapped them from within same system
    -reseated ram (have not tried running with only one DIMM at a time)
    -reverted bios from f20e to f18

ran with driver verifier, had one bsod related to atheros lan driver?
    Attachment 103088

:)

shinray, Sep 24, 2016

2. How to create Windows 10 installation DVD/USB flash drive Step-by-Step Guide

So, ok, now I have the iso on a DVD...but the original computer crashed nd is not bootable...how do I create a bootable something to access a dvd drive...???

george pollock, Sep 24, 2016
  3. Update KB3163018 fail to install and crashes wiping my 3TB HDD desktop pc on windows 10 pro 1511

*O.T.> wiped drive

Update KB3163018 fail to install and crashes wiping my 3TB HDD desktop pc on windows 10 pro 1511 . error, failure to reboot, no bootable device found. I run Seagate tool, wont detected, did all possible test, failure. Insert a bootable cd (no bootable
    device found) was the answer. insert another HDD 1TB from another pc and boot fine. When I hook up both HDD, the 3TB its not detected, Should I assume is dead?

JessieDias, Sep 24, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Latest dump in the zip file you uploaded is 9/18 so it doesn't include any with Driver Verifier activated.

A couple of the dumps indicate a problem with L1C63x64.sys. I think this belongs to your Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter.

I see 10.0.0.329 version dated 2015-11-26 here: Download Qualcomm Atheros wireless driver for AR9287 and 32bit Windows 10

The one you currently have is dated Tue Jul 16 02:56:31 2013.

See if that fixes the problem.

Ztruker, Sep 25, 2016
  5. shinray Win User
    Ah, yes, unfortunately some of the bugchecks do not produce dumps. They hang at 0% for hours and I am forced to reset the system. Possibly the system cannot find the drives to write to...

About the WLAN adapter, I noticed that when I installed Win10, it specified a Qualcomm Atheros adapter, though my card is branded TP-LINK. Maybe it's rebranded?

Anyway, TP-LINK's drivers are older, but from the official website. Should I continue using Qualcomm's?
    edit: yes, apparently the card uses an atheros chipset. will try the latest driver I can find.

edit2: got another bsod, so I I don't think the new drivers changed anything.

shinray, Sep 26, 2016
  6. shinray Win User
    Interesting to note is that the sata drives are not bootable at the time of crash. Restart leads to no boot device. However, simply waiting a few hours resolves the issue until the next crash.

Could be temp related? Cpu temps are fine though, under 55c load

shinray, Sep 28, 2016
  7. Ztruker Win User
    I don't have as much the free time to spend here as I used to which is why my responses are so slow.
    L1C63x64.sys is still dated Tue Jul 16 02:56:31 2013..

Please re-run DM_Log_Collector and post the zip file so I get all the latest files.

Ztruker, Sep 29, 2016
  8. shinray Win User

Attachment 104577

Hey, thanks for the reply.

No worries, I am also rather busy, take your time. Thanks for helping me out!

The L1C63x64.sys driver is I believe related to the Atheros 8151 GigE LAN driver. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any versions much newer than that (the absolute latest one I can find is for win8 dated august 2013...I can try installing that one.

shinray, Oct 5, 2016
  9. shinray Win User
    Unfortunately don't think that solved it. Got another BSoD, no dump either since it couldn't find a drive to dump to. =|

I've now swapped the drive off of the SATA 6Gbps port to a 3Gbps port, seeing if the port is an issue. Fingers crossed.

shinray, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Crashes, drives disappearing, no bootable device - Similar Threads - Crashes drives disappearing

2. No Bootable Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Bootable Device: I went into task manager and accidentally closed window explorer. After that the screen became black. I panicked and press the power button for 10 seconds to switch off the laptop. I immediately powered the laptop back on but it says " No Bootable Device"....
  3. No Bootable Device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No Bootable Device: I went into task manager and accidentally closed window explorer. After that the screen became black. I panicked and press the power button for 10 seconds to switch off the laptop. I immediately powered the laptop back on but it says " No Bootable Device"....
  4. "No Bootable Device"

"No Bootable Device": Hi There ,Yesterday I put my windows at hibernate mode for 2 hours.When I reopened it , a screen appeared showing "No Bootable Device".I turned off my laptop and turned on again but it was still showing.I clicked F2 and entered a menu where I switched to Legacy mode.And it...
  5. "No Bootable Device"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "No Bootable Device": Hi There ,Yesterday I put my windows at hibernate mode for 2 hours.When I reopened it , a screen appeared showing "No Bootable Device".I turned off my laptop and turned on again but it was still showing.I clicked F2 and entered a menu where I switched to Legacy mode.And it...
  6. "No Bootable Device"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. No bootable Device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No bootable Device: Hi While switch on windows screen, its showing NO BOOTABLE DEVICE. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-bootable-device/46180a64-8f09-4376-9bf9-21686ea5af2b
  8. no bootable device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    no bootable device: Hello I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 after a few months, i then migrated to an ssd... everything was fine for a year but now it is saying no bootable device, i cannot retrive my product key or digital id. the os is still on the ssd i have tried recover keys but no...
  9. No bootable device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No bootable device: Can anyone help me with this? [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-bootable-device/0ee1a0af-22e9-45a5-a308-7fab7f847b9f
  10. "No bootable device"

"No bootable device": Hello everyone, I have a problem with my computer not starting. Not being very knowledgable about technology, I would like to ask if there is any way I can still fix it. Since the language on my computer is not English, I hope I translated everything correctly in the...