Windows 10: Crazy amounts of searches

Discus and support Crazy amounts of searches in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently had a virus that wreaked havoc with my laptop. I was putting everything back in order when I noticed how messed up File Explorer was. It has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by mkj307, Feb 29, 2016.

1. mkj307 Win User

Crazy amounts of searches

I recently had a virus that wreaked havoc with my laptop. I was putting everything back in order when I noticed how messed up File Explorer was. It has the same folders under different headings. The worse part is under Searches/Everywhere & Searches/Indexed Please tell me there is a way to fix this. I don't think I can safely delete a lot of these files. Please see my screenshots. Please note the immense number of files.*Sad

These are the specs of my laptop:
    TOSHIBA LAPTOP SPECS

SYSTEM MODEL
    Toshiba Satellite L775D PSK4OU-OOGOOP

OPERATING SYSTEM
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 1511 Build 10586.71 IE Version 11.63.10586.0CO
    Chrome Version 48.0.2564.103 m
    IE 11
    Boot Mode: Legacy BIOS in UEFI
    Secure boot not supported

MAIN CIRCUIT BOARD
    Board: Pegatron Corporation TKBSS 1.50
    Bus Clock: 100 MHz
    UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. 1.50 10/18/2011

PROCESSOR
    1.40 Gigahertz AMD A6-34OOM APU with Radeon HD graphics
    Graphics Chipset:AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6520G
    512 KB primary memory cache
    4096 secondary memory cache
    64=bit ready
    BIOS Version:012.043.000.001
    BIOS Part Number:BR40547.bin
    BIOS Date:04/07/2011

DRIVES
    622.92 Usable hard drive
    528.99 GB hard drive free HL-DT=ST BDDVDRW CT31F OpticalDrive
    Hitachi HTS547564A9E384 hard drive 640.13 GB drive O, s/n 110817J2380053CHMYEC, Rev JEDOA6OB
    PCI to USB host controller 3x
    Standard open HCD USB host Controller 3x

MEMORY MODULES
    5612 MB USABLE INSTALLED
    6 GB RAM

LOCAL DRIVE VOLUMES
    C: NTSF on drive O 622.92 GB

CONTROLLERS
    ATA Channel 0
    ATA Channel 1
    Standard dual channel PCI IDE Controller
    Standard SATA AHCI Controller

BUS ADAPTERS
    MS Storage spaces controller.
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host
    DISPLAY
    AMD Radeon HD 6520G Display Adapter
    Generic PnP monitor 17.1” vis.

MULTIMEDIA
    AMD HD Audio Device
    Realtek HD Audio
    Microphone Realtek HD Audio
    Speakers Realtek HD Audio
    Toshiba Web Camera – MP

OTHER DEVICES
    MS AC Adapter
    MS ACPI -Compliant Control Method Battery
    HID-Compliant Consumer Control Device 2x
    HID-Compliant Wireless Radio Controls
    Toshiba Hotkey Driver
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad Mouse
    Send to OneNote 2010
    MS Device Association Root Enumerator
    MS GS Wavetable Synth
    MS IPv4 IPv6 Transition Adapter Bus
    MS Radio Device Enumeration Bus
    MS RRAS Root Enumerator
    USB Composite Device
    USB Root Hub 6x
    Generic Volume Shadow Copy

WIRELESS NETWORKCONNECTION
    Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802
    Teredo Tunneling Psuedo-Interface

PRINTERS
    HP Envy 100 All-in-One D410 Series
    HP Officejet Pro 8600 All-in-One

ANTI-VIRIS PROTECTION
    Norton 360 Norton Anti Virus Version 22.5.5.15
    Malware Anti-Malware Version 2.2.0.1024

:)

mkj307, Feb 29, 2016
  2. meluvsql Win User

No more Print Screen Keyboard Shortcuts on Windows 10???

Yes I've seen this tool but this seems like and emmense amount of work to just get a quick screenshot Search, open tool, more clicks, then select size of snip etc just to get ONE quick screenshot? Crazy.

meluvsql, Feb 29, 2016
  3. Only some photo tags working

So I just got done tagging the crazy amount of photos I have only to find that not all the photos are there when I search for a specific tag.

I double checked to make sure they are all tagged correctly, but they still won't show up and it's only some of them. On others the tags work fine. Anyone have any ideas?

StormyJames, Feb 29, 2016
  4. b1rd Win User

Hi mkj307,

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but a large number of those entries seem to be shortcuts only. All of the files that have that small arrow on it, are shortcuts and should be safe to delete.

I noted when I was looking at your screenshots, you had a couple of Registry modification files on your Desktop. If you merged these with the Registry while you were putting things back together, then perhaps that might account for some of this. If so, you might want to look at using System Restore and see if that helps.

5. mkj307 Win User
    Thanks for your answer. I didn't change the registry but Norton "fixed" it. What should I do with the registry items? Do you know?

It won't let me post a reply on here.

mkj307, Feb 29, 2016
  6. b1rd Win User
    Hi mkj307,

If you're asking about the registry modification files on your Desktop, which are visible on your screenshot, those should be fine to delete if you don't need them for anything. In fact, it appears that it's just one file and one shortcut to another (or same) reg file.

These:

Crazy amounts of searches [​IMG]

Are you saying that Norton was able to fix the issues that you originally posted about?

b1rd, Mar 1, 2016
  7. mkj307 Win User
    I am saying it got rid of the virus but only fixed the registry.

mkj307, Mar 1, 2016
  8. b1rd Win User

I do apologize, but I'm still unclear as to exactly what issue is.

I've looked over your screenshots a couple of times and I think I'm missing the problem. Admittedly, I'm not as familiar with Windows Search as many others, as I use a third party utility, but I just don't see or realize the problem.

To me, it appears that you have your Search folder open with the Navigation Pane displayed along the left side. In screenshot #1, of your first post, you have the Recycle Bin selected from the entries along the left pane. The files in the middle of screenshot #1 are the contents of the Recycle Bin.

I'm wondering if perhaps you never had the Navigation Pane activated before, so the folder perhaps looks more full or crowded than before?

Crazy amounts of searches [​IMG]

b1rd, Mar 1, 2016
  9. mkj307 Win User
    I'm sorry the first screenshot is incorrect. The second one is Under searches/indexed & so is the third item. Here is a screenshot of This PC/C:/users/mkj/searches/everywhere & in the far right column is over 263,000 files:

Attachment 67274

mkj307, Mar 1, 2016
  10. b1rd Win User
    Yes, they appear to be Internet temp files associated with your User folder.

I tried to duplicate what you did, however I don't seem to have a folder titled "Everywhere," so am not able to go further then the Searches folder. Again, I'm not too familiar with Windows search, so I might be off in the directory.

Anyhow, I still don't think there's a problem, at least not that I can see. From the above screen shot, those files within the center all seem to be website related, and could very well be temporary files that you can delete.

You might try running the Disk Clean up utility and then re-check it (Type in Desk Clean Up within 'search')

The files within the middle of the window will be associated with which ever folder that you have selected to the left. That should give you an idea of what type they might be.

11. mkj307 Win User
    I already deleted all temporary files & the recycle bin. It didn't affect the massive number of files under searches.
    I haven't tried disk clean up yet I'll do that Thank you for your help.

mkj307, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Crazy amounts of searches - Similar Threads - Crazy amounts searches

2. Im getting a crazy amount of crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Im getting a crazy amount of crashes: hello I have been getting crashes everytime I play any game sometimes its instantly sometimes its like 30 minutes in. sometimes it just reboots and others it goes to BSOD Ive swapped MOBO, Ram from 64gb kit to a 128gb kit doing 1,2, and 4 sticks from both kits the problem...
  3. Im getting a crazy amount of crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Im getting a crazy amount of crashes: hello I have been getting crashes everytime I play any game sometimes its instantly sometimes its like 30 minutes in. sometimes it just reboots and others it goes to BSOD Ive swapped MOBO, Ram from 64gb kit to a 128gb kit doing 1,2, and 4 sticks from both kits the problem...
  4. [w10 Search Service is crazy ] It constantly Auto search every folders in explorer.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [w10 Search Service is crazy ] It constantly Auto search every folders in explorer.exe: hi everyoneI have an updated and active w10drivers are updated already & so the win ... the search service is the problem . If I only disable it everything works "fine" but I need the searching feature regularly ... so why they don't fix this annoying thing ? in w7 you could...
  5. [w10 Search Service is crazy ] It constantly Auto search every folders in explorer.exe

[w10 Search Service is crazy ] It constantly Auto search every folders in explorer.exe: hi everyoneI have an updated and active w10drivers are updated already & so the win ... the search service is the problem . If I only disable it everything works "fine" but I need the searching feature regularly ... so why they don't fix this annoying thing ? in w7 you could...
  6. [w10 Search Service is crazy ] It constantly Auto search every folders in explorer.exe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. This is crazy . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    This is crazy . . .: I noticed there are no icons on my desktop? I have, a slideshow running. But, that's it? If I run, "quick access". I can see, everything. All, the files. All, the folders? When I click on, desktop. I see, all the icons. Just the way, they are. When there on, the desktop....
  8. Mail App - Search Goes Crazy

Mail App - Search Goes Crazy: Hello Everyone, Thanks for looking at my post .. I have a strange one that is confusing me .. I have a user who when she does a search in the mail app items show up with no trouble , but when you click on one of the emails all of sudden the program goes crazy and things...
  9. This is crazy . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    This is crazy . . .: It's not happening, on this Forum. But it does happen on other screens. Example: Movies, Videos and Music. What, I'm talking about, is a small rectangular window, on the bottom, right side of my screen. It's running, all the time!. It shows commercials, and other things....
  10. Cortanna search going crazy

Cortanna search going crazy: Whenever I search for something with Cortana I get results that include my Thunderbird email how do I stop that 46150