Windows 10: Crazy nic issue with solid vs stranded cable??

Discus and support Crazy nic issue with solid vs stranded cable?? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ugh. So I just pulled apart my keyhole jack/wallplates. Ran between my basement and office (3 floors) a half dozen times. Finally determined it was my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by klepp0906, Oct 11, 2017.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Crazy nic issue with solid vs stranded cable??

Ugh. So I just pulled apart my keyhole jack/wallplates. Ran between my basement and office (3 floors) a half dozen times. Finally determined it was my cable.

Let me explain.

When I wired my house I had limited funds and so used the solid cable for my patch cables in my office as well. They are all perma ran and zip tied so didn’t really need pliability.

No issues until just upgrading to redstone (build 16299)

I have 2 gigabit nics which I team. Suddenly only 1 is connecting at gigabit. The other only 100mb.

I figured I had a bad cable end on the 100mb one that coincidentally just reared it’s head. I went under the desk and rolled the dice it was the end at the wall.

Changed it out and still only 100mb. Just my luck so I changed the other end. Still only 100mb!

At that point I pulled the cable assuming there was a break somewhere somehow.

I made a new cable out of the solid cat 6 and to my surprise - still 100mb.

The kicker, if I swap in a stranded patch cable, gigabit no problemo. Swap back to solid - 100mb again.

Anyone help me figure this? I can’t understand it and tbh if it weren’t for everything else being solid and me being ocd AF I would just put in the stranded and call it a day.

Thing is everything else is gigabit solid with no problems. Even the other intel nic in the same pc. Add in the fact with CU it was just working fine and I’m at a loss.

Anyone able to reason with that? Lol

:)

klepp0906, Oct 11, 2017
  2. Guido2CE Win User

I want ot add LOCALLY folders to my Win 10 email I don't want OneDrive or anything else in the 'cloud'. But will listen...................

Apologies.....I meant Thunderbird....not Firefox. Edge vs Firefox is another ggggrrrrr it drives me crazy thingy for me .Crazy nic issue with solid vs stranded cable?? :)

Guido2CE, Oct 11, 2017
  3. glossta1 Win User
    Split this strand?

Is it perhaps time for this 'chunk/strand' of discussion to split? So many posts are N8-related, that surely it is now time to separate into 'N-series' and 'other smartphones'? Users of different categories of phones probably do all feel special in different
    ways, and would value recognition of this by Nokia. The excellent support offered by fellow users should not be undervalued - lumping together very different phones could be interpreted as lack of interest on Nokia's part.. Nokia, a comment here?

glossta1, Oct 11, 2017
  4. clam1952 Win User

I'd go for the socket being a bit worn, at a guess the stranded cable's plugs are a tighter fit. Try the "waggle it" test.

clam1952, Oct 11, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    A cable like cat5e is stranded to stop cross talka solid cable can suffer from outside noise and cross talk cross talk will reduce the speed

Samuria, Oct 11, 2017
  6. klepp0906 Win User
    Both good answers and likely the case. Used an entire day mucking around but ultimately went with just changing both nics over to stranded.

This way I get my gigabit and get my ocd placated.

Thought I was losing my mind. Thought it was cable in the walls at first lol. Shoulda tested them all before I drywalled but us middle class folk cut corners. Optimism n all that *Tongue

Thx for the replies guys <3

klepp0906, Oct 11, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Stranded cable needs Stranded connectors. You have to use the Keystone Jacks that need to be punched down. I usually use the back of a razor knife when I do them, if it is just a couple of jacks that I may deal with. As for your speeds, you could have a wire loose in the Keystone or the patch cable, could also be a bios setting. While you are at it, get a loopback tester to allow you to check for all wires are in the blades of the keystone and to check your patch cables. Something like this will work. https://www.amazon.com/Generic-sfg-N...GCTVAJSK3P21YP

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Crazy nic issue with solid vs stranded cable?? - Similar Threads - Crazy nic issue

2. Lan cable issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lan cable issue: Hi, my LAN cable suddenly stopped working despite being perfectly fine the night before. The cable is still plugged in but my laptop isn't recognizing it.I tried check the wires if there's any physical damage, but there's none. I tried following other forums by restarting my...
  3. Lan cable issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lan cable issue: Hi, my LAN cable suddenly stopped working despite being perfectly fine the night before. The cable is still plugged in but my laptop isn't recognizing it.I tried check the wires if there's any physical damage, but there's none. I tried following other forums by restarting my...
  4. Lan cable issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Audio Cable issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Audio Cable issue: So i unplugged the green audio cord on the back of my computer and when i did the audio jack in the front of my pc does not work. It would only work when i plugged it into the monitor. It now does not work with either even when i plugged it in every way i could try and...
  6. I have an Ethernet NIC and a Wi-Fi card set up in a NIC team. If the Ethernet cable is...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have an Ethernet NIC and a Wi-Fi card set up in a NIC team. If the Ethernet cable is...: Title. submitted by /u/LegoLivesMatter [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jrmjxi/i_have_an_ethernet_nic_and_a_wifi_card_set_up_in/
  7. Local NIC pings itself even after disconnecting the cable

Local NIC pings itself even after disconnecting the cable: I am using windows 10, I connect the ethernet cable into NIC port and ping the local NIC i.e. itself and pings successfully. But when I remove the cable disconnect, it still pings the same IP. Although in the previous version such as the Windows XP, it doesnt used to ping...
  8. Displayport to HDMI Cable vs Adapter

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Displayport to HDMI Cable vs Adapter: Getting a new PC next week, which has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (3gb). Want to use the NVIDIA's Displayports on a dual monitor setup (HDMI inputs only). 1. Displayport to HDMI cable or adapter or does it matter ? 2. Any gotacha's I should look out for when buying ? 104342
  9. Wired NIC Issues

Wired NIC Issues: Hi there, I've been having issues with my network card consistently losing connection then getting it back, then dropping again in an almost loop type fashion. The connection grabs an IP for a few seconds then drops back out. The card also disappears from the Device...
  10. Local account - as before - disconnect NIC cable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Local account - as before - disconnect NIC cable: Hi there as before (Win 8 / 8.1) if you want a LOCAL account simply during the setup phase just disconnect the NIC cable (or if on a VM detach the virtual NIC. Then go back a step and it will then prompt you for a local user. Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet....