Windows 10: create a USB pen to boot into windows 10

Discus and support create a USB pen to boot into windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I understand there is an option to create a bootable USB pen to run windows 10 from, not talking about installing or repairing, but actually run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by reddwarf4ever, Aug 26, 2015.

1. create a USB pen to boot into windows 10

I understand there is an option to create a bootable USB pen to run windows 10 from, not talking about installing or repairing, but actually run windows 10 from a USB pen......can't remember what it's called, got a 16GB pen ready

thanks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Aug 26, 2015

2. Is there a difference between a Windows 10 home and pro setup disk?

I'm using a USB pen to download the ISO to. Labelling it will be awkward. Would it harm the installation if after creating the USB ISO, I created a txt document and called it Windows 10 home.txt and saved it in the root of the USB pen?

mazdamjmx5, Aug 26, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Not able to download Version 1607

Yes a Pen drive of 4GB or greater is OK

If you create the Installation on a pen drive, boot from the pen drive - change boot order in BIOS or in the case of an upgrade, run setup.exe on the pen drive from inside Windows 10

Alternatively, On Windows 10 you can run an ISO by double clicking it and it will be mounted as a virtual DVD then open Setup.exe to run the upgrade.

DaveM121, Aug 26, 2015
  4. create a USB pen to boot into windows 10

Mark Phelps, Aug 26, 2015
  5. acmanten Win User
    Thanks Mark and I have been wanting to know if it is possible to DO THAT. I suspect most everything is possible, and we or someone, somewhere just needs to keep trying, and invent a way.

SECURITY of my Windows 10 - is a big deal.

This will be on my SHORT list of things to do.... So many things to do and new things to learn more about... With only two more months to work - I will have plenty to do now and learn more later. Don't ever forget that READING is fun.
    All be safe... Cliff M.

acmanten, Aug 26, 2015
  6. reddwarf4ever, Aug 26, 2015
  7. I think you are referring to Windows To Go, but the last I checked, you need one of a few very specific flash drives that were quite pricey. You also will likely need more than 16 GB.

DeaconFrost, Aug 26, 2015
  8. create a USB pen to boot into windows 10

I have a 64gb pen, apparently it's the read speed that's critical......
    will try wintousb and see what happens......thanks

reddwarf4ever, Aug 27, 2015
  9. is this procedure for windows to go ? or just a Boot USB for repair etc.....? tried rufus and all went ok, but did not run from USB just asked if I wanted to install windows 10 !!!

reddwarf4ever, Aug 28, 2015
  10. Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education have an official Windows To Go utility in Control Panel. It will create a Windows To Go drive for you. It has to be a certified Windows To Go thumb drive or the utility won't use it though. My Kingston HyperX USB 3 64 GB thumb drive is rejected. I can however use an old slow IDE laptop drive in a USB enclosure. *really

alphanumeric, Aug 28, 2015
  11. I have windows 10 home, thought it was still possible, if so could do with a tutorial...thanks

12. An unofficial build is till possible, link to tutorial in in the second post. Be advised that if you do this an use it on several different PC's, your likely going to have activation issues. The official Windows To Go utility creates an Enterprise Windows to Go drive.

alphanumeric, Aug 28, 2015
  13. create a USB pen to boot into windows 10

dont see the rational behind MS not allowing this for all W10s but the MS can do anything they want I guess.......
    dont think I will try it as don't want to screw up my activation, especially as running smoothly at the moment...
    thank you

14. It was originally limited to Enterprise customers. Windows 10 Home and Pro restrict you to activation for that License on one PC only. Thus no official Windows To Go for those versions. Enterprise is different as far as licensing goes. Windows to Go lets employees take their work setup home and run it on their home PC. Instead of having to take their work PC home with them. I have access to MSDN so I can run Enterprise if I want. I do on my laptop just so I can create an official Windows To Go drive. Education is a new version, it also has Windows To Go. It will only create an Enterprise Windows To Go though. It won't let you use a Home, Pro or Education ISO. Even if you had the Windows To Go utility in Control Panel, you would still need an Enterprise License to use it. Unless they redo how it works now.

alphanumeric, Aug 29, 2015
  15. thank you for such a good explanation....

reddwarf4ever, Aug 29, 2015
Thema:

create a USB pen to boot into windows 10

1. create a USB pen to boot into windows 10 - Similar Threads - create USB pen

2. Files Inaccessible After Creating Boot USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files Inaccessible After Creating Boot USB: Hello, I recently reinstalled Windows from a USB device. I used a USB device larger than required which had some files on that I couldn't store on the PC due to the intent to format the main hard disk. After successfully reinstalling Windows, the USB device is now...
  3. USB pen not showing in windows explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB pen not showing in windows explorer: Hi I have a 16GB USB pen, which I have used ok before, but decided to format for a different use. Did t show in windows explorer, so used Aome! to delete create and reformat & rename it, worked perfectly, but still not showing in windows explorer, opened disk management and...
  4. Unable to create VAIO recovery on USB Pen drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to create VAIO recovery on USB Pen drive: Unable to create VAIO recovery in my Sony Laptop. When I click "Create Recovery Media" I see no action / processing happening. It was working fine when I had the Windows 8. I am currently on Windows 10. Can you suggest resolution...
  5. Create a boot USB using a mac

Create a boot USB using a mac: Hello, I've just built a new machine and I need to install Windows on it. I am trying to create a boot USB but only have a mac to create it, is this possible? A lot of the tutorials seem to be to create a boot usb to install windows ON the mac. That isn't what I want to do....
  6. How to create a Windows 10 boot USB using XP?

How to create a Windows 10 boot USB using XP?: Hi, My Windows 10 laptop is unable to load windows (due to an automatic update) and is in a failing continuous loop trying to repair. None of the recovery/ repair options are working. I have read that I may be able to repair windows (or at least enter it) using a boot...
  7. creating a cd or usb windows 10 boot

creating a cd or usb windows 10 boot: after having serveral problems, i went from win 7 to the free win10 upgrade when offered. i woud like to create a restore disk/flash/usb drive, but not sure how to do it. also, you SHOUD NOT let companies sell m.1 or 2 drive with less than 64gb. i had to go online to...
  8. Creating USB Boot media Help.

Creating USB Boot media Help.: Hi guys, I've been trying to create USB boot device for W10 but the program closes without warning a little while after it reaches the analysis stage (after 100% download) I've tried 3 times now and can't figure out why its not working. 10188
  9. creating usb pen for dism apply-image

creating usb pen for dism apply-image: I have managed to create a USB pen drive to apply WIM images using the DISM Apply-image command in 64bit so I know it can be done but any ideas how to create a pen to apply 32bit WIM images 24718
  10. Make a multiboot USB pen

Make a multiboot USB pen: I understand that I can use multibootusb to make this, unless there is a better alternative, mainly I want a USB pen with 32 plus 64 bit versions of Linux mint, but would also like macrium reflect as well. is there a solution thanks 76261