Windows 10: Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

Discus and support Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; what I refer to is: - the usb device is inserted, windows pops up the device according to autoplay settings. you defer/ditch the action - Rufus goes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Stephanie, Oct 9, 2014.

1. cognus Win User

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

what I refer to is:
    - the usb device is inserted, windows pops up the device according to autoplay settings. you defer/ditch the action
    - Rufus goes to access the device to begin the process: as soon as Rufus initializes [not sure what the under-hood first commands are], Autoplay will again "recognize" a device change and access the device, defeating Rufus. It will bail saying the drive is open by another program. wash/rinse/repeat until one defeats the auto-action

thx again

cognus, Aug 11, 2015
  2. cognus Win User

ok I must be wrong about this. here Is the Rufus log - still getting the volume-open fail

Format operation started
    Requesting disk access...
    Opened drive L: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1 for write access
    Will use 'E:' as volume mountpoint
    I/O boundary checks disabled
    Analyzing existing boot records...
    Drive has a Zeroed Master Boot Record
    Volume has an unknown Partition Boot Record
    Deleting partitions...
    Clearing MBR/PBR/GPT structures...
    Erasing 128 sectors
    Partitioning (MBR)...
    Closing existing volume...
    Waiting for logical drive to reappear...
    Formatting (NTFS)...
    Using cluster size: 4096 bytes
    Quick format was selected
    Volume is in use
    Format error: The device is in use by another process. Please close any other process that may be accessing the device.
    Re-mounted volume as 'E:' after error

there is nothing else obvious going on with the system that would be accessing that device.
    should I try rebooting in safe mode or ?? how about delete the volume first, then try?

cognus, Aug 11, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 11, 2015
  4. cognus Win User

got it going now. I took the sd to another system and cleared the partition, reformatted to fat32 and gave it another try. 'tis ok now.
    appreciate the assist
    c

cognus, Aug 11, 2015
  5. Dch48 Win User
    I downloaded the .iso with the Media Creation tool and first burned it using BurnAware free to a DVD-RW. It completed in 10 minutes burning at a max speed of 4X. I then used Rufus with the same .iso to create a bootable USB drive on my 4GB Sandisk. It took 11.5 minutes. Granted I do not have USB 3 functionality nor UEFI and putting anything on a flash drive always is slow. I then tried booting first from the disc and then the USB. They both worked but the disc booted a lot faster. The USB drive tests at 18mb/s read and 8mb/s write.

I'm going to burn to a regular DVD+ disc which I'm sure will go much faster than 10 minutes since they burn at max 8X. USB flash drives are just really slow for me.

Dch48, Aug 11, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. *Party

Brink, Aug 12, 2015
  7. acmanten Win User
    Dch48: I am saving this info... and thanks Cliff M.

acmanten, Aug 25, 2015
  8. Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

Hi. I used the Media Creation tool and chose the "Create installation media for another PC". After it installs to the USB drive (14GB), the box says "your USB flash drive is ready". I click on "finish" and get a box that says "Modern Setup Host Has Stopped Working", etc.

I suppose I should not use the USB drive for installing Windows 10, until that message does not show after doing it again.
    What has happened? What do I do to fix it?

theoldfarter, Aug 26, 2015
  9. Wynona Win User
    Have you tried re-downloading to the flash drive? If not, I'd try that and see what happens. If you have one, you might try another flash drive.

Wynona, Aug 26, 2015
  10. I tried 5 different USB sticks. 2 failed (both 8GB) with the 'setup host' error. 3 worked, 2 x 16Gb & 1x 4GB. All formatted as Fat32 before I used them. The sticks that failed work fine as storage, playing MP3's & videos. Why some failed and others didn't, is beyond me. Thanks for your help.

theoldfarter, Aug 28, 2015
  11. acmanten Win User
    Is there any special program for a 16gb US to make it bootable... ??
    and if so where at or URL for it ???
    or do you just need to copy the OSI file to a USB - then execute it ?
    Thanks Cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 13, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Cliff, *Smile

Did you already see if using OPTION TWO with Rufus will work for you?

Brink, Sep 13, 2015
  13. acmanten Win User

Brink:

No not yet, but I will now... Thanks for this reminder. ...and I may have time to do that tonight.
    tks... cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 13, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Please let us know how it went.

Brink, Sep 13, 2015
  15. acmanten Win User
    I purchased two Dane-elec 16GB USB today, and have downloaded Rufus 2.3.709.
    Rufus will be testing it 4 times, and it is doing that now on the first USB.
    if it is OK, with you I can post a ascii file of the logs also. more later.. cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 14, 2015
Thema:

1. Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Bootable USB

2. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a bootable flash drive: Hello beautiful people I'm creating a bootable thumb drive because I have 2 new computers and one is having issues. So going by the answers in these forums I have been unsuccessful fixing the issues and the next on the list from here was to do this . My question is How long...
  3. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a bootable flash drive: Hello beautiful people I'm creating a bootable thumb drive because I have 2 new computers and one is having issues. So going by the answers in these forums I have been unsuccessful fixing the issues and the next on the list from here was to do this . My question is How long...
  4. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart

Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart: Hi, Its great to see the addition of Option 4 (Diskpart method) in the Create Bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10 Tutorial . Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 There's an extra command directly after the clean command, "convert mbr". Is this...
  6. Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart: Hi, Its great to see the addition of Option 4 (Diskpart method) in the Create Bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10 Tutorial . Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 There's an extra command directly after the clean command, "convert mbr". Is this...
  7. Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive

Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive: Hi All, Ive decided to use Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive instead of using the Media Creation Tool to create the Windows 10 media. Im just going to use the Media Creation Tool to download the iso image and diskpart to prepare the flash drive. Are the following...
  8. Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...

Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...: I have followed instructions to create my own Windows 10 To Go flash drive. I have two suitable USB 3.0 flash drives: Corsair Voyager GTX and Super Talent RC4, both 128 GB versions. The Corsair Voyager GTX is not a certified Windows To Go drive, whereas the Super Talent...
  9. Format drive before creating a bootable USB flash drive?

Format drive before creating a bootable USB flash drive?: Hi, If your USB flash drive has data on it or maybe an earlier version of the Windows 10 installation media for example. Do you have to format the USB flash drive manually in windows (right click and format) before using the Windows Media Creation Tool to create the Windows...
  10. USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10?

USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10?: Good morning, Prior to beginning I am making this post to ask a few questions concerning Brinks' tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html I am using an All-In-One HP Pavilion 23-g017c (x64) AMD A6-5200 APU w/Radeon HD Graphics, running Windows 10,...