Windows 10: Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

Discus and support Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I purchased two Dane-elec 16GB USB today, and have downloaded Rufus 2.3.709. Rufus will be testing it 4 times, and it is doing that now on the first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Stephanie, Oct 9, 2014.

1. acmanten Win User

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

I had to stop the usb new formatting and chacking by rufus last night but I started it agaain this morning and it will be finished for the first usb by the time I arrive home today... I will check it then, and this morning I told it to be bootable and also add the OSI file. tks Cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 14, 2015
  2. acmanten Win User

I formated both the new USB and They worked just fine. the log file data from Rufus says they are ok.
    thanks Cliff

acmanten, Sep 15, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news Cliff. *Smile

Brink, Sep 15, 2015
  4. myuption Win User

I tried this, I gave fat32 fotmat to my usb, but when I try to create the bootable drive it says the ISO downloaded doesn't support it.

Either way I tried the suggested version, it runs, but once it is about to install it says i should format to fat32, I have partitions with info inside, am I suppose to format the whole drive?

Thanks

myuption, Sep 23, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello myuption, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

I'm afraid that the USB will need to be completely formatted to create a bootable Windows 10 installation USB with it.

Brink, Sep 23, 2015
  6. donetao Win User
    Hi Don't know if this will help, but here's what the files look like for W10 USB. I know mine works.
    Sorry! The attachment didn't work!

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 [​IMG]

donetao, Sep 23, 2015
  7. myuption Win User
    Hello, thanks for answering, actually, it seems the whole hard drive need a new format. I tried burning a DVD and the results were the same, but now I got an error message saying the hard drive is protected by GPT.

Searched around and it seems you can do some changes directly via command, but I don't know if it will only work on one partition or the whole drive. In the meantime I'm making a full backup of my other partitions... after that is done I might try that command line to change it or simply reformat the whole disk. Now it seems a bad idea to have a 1TB disk with multiple partitions and the system, next time I'll get a drive only for the system.

After windows 10 update from win 8, should I maintain those virtual drives with recovery info -no longer used, at least the guys at Dell told me- and extras? Dell support was awful this time, they gave me no solution, they even said I should buy Win 10 for a new license, which seems to be useless if you activated before with the same hardware. *Tongue

Thank you!

myuption, Sep 24, 2015
  8. donetao Win User

Hi! I'm totally confused! I though this thread was about creating a USB with W10 on it!
    I follower this tutorial by Brink. I used a 16GB PNY flash. I had no trouble at all. The USB works great. I also made a DVD with W10 on it and had no problems. Sorry if I'm out of line!!
    PS I don't know why you would want to keep recovery partitions that are no longer needed!! It has been my experience that not all makes of flash drives will work. I have found that PNY is my best choice*Wink for these kind of things!!

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-to-install-windows-10.7452/

donetao, Sep 24, 2015
  9. Wynona Win User
    Same here. But I use el Cheapo Lexar and they're great. I have four 8 GB ones that I sort of rotate and I have some 16 GBs and a couple of 32 GB ones. I've never had to format any of them; I use Rufus and he formats 'em for me.

Wynona, Sep 24, 2015
  10. donetao Win User
    I have never had the need to use Rufus. I guess I should give it a look. I have always just used disk manager to format my drives and DVD's
    I created the USB and DVD with W10 on them and they both work great. Rufus looks a little more complicated. I like simple.
    KISS! LOL For me I have found that cheap is not the way to go for these things ; but if they work, why not save a couple bucks!

donetao, Sep 24, 2015
  11. donetao Win User
    Hi Wynona! Don't want to get to far off topic, but I just use disk management to format my DVD's and flash drives. So far it's always worked for me. Just right click and format.
    Brink may have further comments if he's watching this thread. This is the way I learn new things! Once again my attachment didn't post. Don't know why??? Must be some thing to do with my post count??*Confused
    Maybe Brink will fix my attachment*Wink

donetao, Sep 24, 2015
  12. myuption Win User
    I made a couple of noob mistakes, I never dealed with this, so I had to learn the hard way.

First, check 2 times Partition scheme and target system type. Second, after fighting with my Dell, I forgot to restore the boot option to UEFI. Once I did that I was able to install.

Thanks for your comments.

myuption, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Bootable USB

2. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a bootable flash drive: Hello beautiful people I'm creating a bootable thumb drive because I have 2 new computers and one is having issues. So going by the answers in these forums I have been unsuccessful fixing the issues and the next on the list from here was to do this . My question is How long...
  3. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a bootable flash drive: Hello beautiful people I'm creating a bootable thumb drive because I have 2 new computers and one is having issues. So going by the answers in these forums I have been unsuccessful fixing the issues and the next on the list from here was to do this . My question is How long...
  4. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart

Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart: Hi, Its great to see the addition of Option 4 (Diskpart method) in the Create Bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10 Tutorial . Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 There's an extra command directly after the clean command, "convert mbr". Is this...
  6. Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart: Hi, Its great to see the addition of Option 4 (Diskpart method) in the Create Bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10 Tutorial . Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 There's an extra command directly after the clean command, "convert mbr". Is this...
  7. Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive

Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive: Hi All, Ive decided to use Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive instead of using the Media Creation Tool to create the Windows 10 media. Im just going to use the Media Creation Tool to download the iso image and diskpart to prepare the flash drive. Are the following...
  8. Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...

Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...: I have followed instructions to create my own Windows 10 To Go flash drive. I have two suitable USB 3.0 flash drives: Corsair Voyager GTX and Super Talent RC4, both 128 GB versions. The Corsair Voyager GTX is not a certified Windows To Go drive, whereas the Super Talent...
  9. Format drive before creating a bootable USB flash drive?

Format drive before creating a bootable USB flash drive?: Hi, If your USB flash drive has data on it or maybe an earlier version of the Windows 10 installation media for example. Do you have to format the USB flash drive manually in windows (right click and format) before using the Windows Media Creation Tool to create the Windows...
  10. USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10?

USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10?: Good morning, Prior to beginning I am making this post to ask a few questions concerning Brinks' tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html I am using an All-In-One HP Pavilion 23-g017c (x64) AMD A6-5200 APU w/Radeon HD Graphics, running Windows 10,...