Windows 10: Create Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10 How to Create a Custom Recovery Image used to Refresh Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by whs, Feb 19, 2015.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

Create Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10

How to: Create Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10

How to Create a Custom Recovery Image used to Refresh Windows 10

Create Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10130 released on May 29th 2015.

The "C:\Windows\System32\recimg.exe" file has been removed in build 10130, and will not work even after copying the file from a previous build into build 10130 or later.

We can still create a custom reset recovery image.

Information If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you can try to refresh, reset, or restore it.

By default, here's what happens when you refresh your PC:
    • Your files and personalization setting won't change.
    • Your PC settings will be changed back to their defaults.
    • Apps from the Windows Store will be kept.
    • Apps you installed from discs or websites will be removed. Basically all installed desktop apps.

The recimg.exe command line tool lets you configure a custom recovery image for Windows to use when you refresh your PC. When you create a custom recovery image, it will contain the desktop apps you've installed, and the Windows system files in their current state. Recovery images do not contain your documents, personal settings, user profiles, or apps from Windows Store, because that information is automatically preserved at the time you refresh your PC.

Basically, a custom recovery image let's you refresh Windows 10 as usual with your current Windows, but also lets you keep your desktop apps and Windows system files as they were when the recovery image was created.

When you create a custom recovery image, recimg will store it in the specified directory, and set it as the active recovery image. If a custom recovery image is set as the active recovery image, Windows will use it when you refresh your PC instead of the default OEM recovery image (if present) or Windows installation media. All recovery images have the filename CustomRefresh.wim. If no CustomRefresh.wim file is found in the active recovery image directory, Windows will fall back to using the OEM recovery image or Windows installation media when you refresh your PC.

This tutorial will show you how to create a custom recovery image that is set to be used to refresh Windows 10 to the state it was at when the recovery image was created when you refresh your PC.

Note You cannot reset your PC using a custom recovery image. Custom recovery images can only be used to refresh your PC.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to create a custom recovery image.

Here's How:

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. In the elevated command prompt, type the command below, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow recimg -createimage "Drive letter:\CustomRecoveryImage\Date"

Note Substitute Drive letter in the command above with the actual drive letter you want to save the created CustomRefresh.wim file to.

Substitute Date in the command above with the actual current date and/or time. This will be used as a subfolder in the CustomRecoveryImage folder to be able to keep multiple custom recovery images from different dates to have handy to set to use to refresh with as needed.

For example, I would use the command below to create and save a custom recovery image (CustomRefresh.wim) on my F drive for today (February 19th 2015).

recimg -CreateImage "F:\CustomRecoveryImage\02-19-2015"

3. When finished, you can close the command prompt.

Note This may take a while to finish creating the custom recovery image. At the Writing image line the progress stays at 1% for a bit and then increases slowly until finished at 100%.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. Linney Win User

Recovery drive won't boot in windows 10

See, "Use a recovery drive to reinstall Windows"

Recovery options in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Creating a recovery drive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-10/create-a-recovery-drive

How to Create a System Image in Windows 10

Create System Image in Windows 10

Custom PC Refresh images in future?

Custom PC Refresh images in future?

This is what I see from an Administrator Command Prompt in Windows 10.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]

(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>RecImg.exe /?

'RecImg.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>RecImg.exe

'RecImg.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

Maybe you need third party software to make a custom image in Windows 10?

Windows 10 - Creating custom recovery image

Windows 10 - Creating custom recovery image

Linney, Feb 19, 2015
  3. Windows 10 - Creating custom recovery image

If Windows 10 has the same Refresh feature as Windows 8.1, that would still rely on a recovery image that Windows has. Which in 8.1 can be customized through the recimg.exe via command prompt. So I'd imagine Windows 10 would still have some means of modifying
    the image Windows Refresh would utilize is what I was figuring.

As the article you linked primarily refers to creating a system recovery disk, which would be a different method of recovery than Windows Refresh. If one modifies the image Windows Refresh uses, then Refresh would remove 3rd party software other than what
    was included within the customized image.

Josh_Bruning, Feb 19, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Wolfgang,

This is not the same as a recovery partition.

The image is saved as the CustomRefresh.wim file, and is stored in whatever folder path is specified in the command. This can only be used to refresh Windows with. *Smile

Brink, Feb 19, 2015
  5. adamf Win User
    "2015-02-19" (YMD) would sort more logically within the folder after next year *Wink

btw there is no quote button for tutorials in tenforums. Is that deliberate?

adamf, Feb 19, 2015
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    Thanks Shawn. I understand the difference. I was just wondering where they store the factory refresh image.

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    "2015-02-19" (YMD) would sort more logically within the folder after next year *Wink

btw there is no quote button for tutorials in tenforums. Is that deliberate? Well, you can't have the year backwards. *Wink

There's a Reply with Quote option at the bottom right corner of a post for that.

Brink, Feb 19, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thanks Shawn. I understand the difference. I was just wondering where they store the factory refresh image. There should be OEM recovery partition(s) just like in Windows 8 for that. *Smile

Brink, Feb 19, 2015
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    Thanks Shawn. I understand the difference. I was just wondering where they store the factory refresh image. There should be OEM recovery partition(s) just like in Windows 8 for that. *Smile OK thanks, that's what I figured.

10. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Feb 19, 2015
  11. DavidY Win User
    But not on the tutorial itself (unless I need my eyes testing). So if I want to quote a bit of the Tutorial and ask a question on it, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do it?

Edit: I notice that over on EightForums, it is much easier and the reply with quote options (with a slightly different name) are visible- maybe a setting is different here?

DavidY, Feb 19, 2015
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    Just do a little copy/paste...

*Cool

f14tomcat, Feb 19, 2015
  13. DavidY Win User

Yes but being able to reply with quote is better and easier- I just tried a copy and paste and it lost most of the formatting for some reason.

DavidY, Feb 19, 2015
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    Might be your browser. I'm using Chrome. Sorry, only suggestion I have. *Smile

f14tomcat, Feb 19, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Nar, the quote for the tutorial was dropped since to many people quoted the entire tutorial when replying. *Sad

Brink, Feb 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Create Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Custom Recovery

2. HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image: I need help with resetting Windows 10 using a recovery image. I found a lot of instructions in the web but I think they seems to bee incomplete.I made a system image using the dism command:“dism /Capture-Image /CaptureDir:C:\ /ImageFile:D:\windows10\install.wim...
  3. HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image: I need help with resetting Windows 10 using a recovery image. I found a lot of instructions in the web but I think they seems to bee incomplete.I made a system image using the dism command:“dism /Capture-Image /CaptureDir:C:\ /ImageFile:D:\windows10\install.wim...
  4. HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Create custom Windows 10 bootable USB image

Create custom Windows 10 bootable USB image: Hi,I have been trying to create a custom Windows 10 bootable image USB stick.I have downloaded Windows 10 20H2 and I have our own personalised image file as a ".wim" file. This has our own settings and software installed. It is 13.2Gb in size.Please could you advise on the...
  6. How would you create a custom recovery in Windows 10?

How would you create a custom recovery in Windows 10?: So how would the home user do this if they wanted to create a recovery after their Windows 10 upgrade. I know for Windows 8 you could do the recimg thing to create the image file. I tried doing the commands listed in one of the thread to create the provision package but...
  7. Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition: How to: Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition [img] Information Most computers today with OEM pre-installed Windows come with a so called Factory recovery partition. This partition allows users to restore Windows 10 to it's original state, as it was when...
  8. Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10: How to: Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10 How to Create a Recovery Image used to Reset Windows 10 [img] Information If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you can try to refresh, reset, or restore it. When you reset your PC, it will remove...
  9. Show Current Refresh Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show Current Refresh Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10: How to: Show Current Refresh Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10 How to Show Current Custom Recovery Image used to Refresh Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10130 released on May 29th 2015. [img]...
  10. Deregister Refresh Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Deregister Refresh Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10: How to: Deregister Refresh Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10 How to Deregister Current Custom Recovery Image used to Refresh Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10130 released on May 29th 2015. [img]...