Windows 10: Create custom shell folders for Windows 10

Discus and support Create custom shell folders for Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello friends! I've posted this before in EightForums with no luck, so I thought I'd try again here. Is there a known way to create your own... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by davidvkimball, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Create custom shell folders for Windows 10

Hello friends!

I've posted this before in EightForums with no luck, so I thought I'd try again here.

Is there a known way to create your own custom shell folders or "special folders?" Default shell folders are Documents, Pictures, Downloads, etc. The benefit of a shell folder is you can place it in a Users' Personal Folder, but have the location actually be in another location (even another drive).

An example of a program adding a shell folder would be Zune with "Podcasts."

A shell folder can be identified by its "Location" tab in the properties menu.

Create custom shell folders for Windows 10 [​IMG]

I'd like to create my own shell folders to things like "Books" or "Programs" etc. with kinds of files I make. Sort of like a library.

Let me know if this is possible!

Thanks,

David

:)

davidvkimball, Aug 12, 2015

2. How do I change the default view for Windows 10 File Explorer search results?

Update:

You can choose which columns display by default (for each folder-type separately or all folder types) and the column width.

But it requires creating a new folder, customizing it, finding the Bag# of that folder, and applying its "Colinfo" binary value into Allfolders\shell key. It's doable.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 12, 2015
  3. DKamensek Win User
    [BUG] Windows 10 AU folder personalized settings are not copied!!

This BUG has been fixed in build 15019 - look at:

Folder attributes/customization lost on copy or move in Windows 10 1607 (Anniversary Update)

Until bugfix comes to release, solution provided by "llandyw" seems
    pretty practical:

Problem copying customized folders - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

Putting this:

to a .reg file and merging it to registry creates right-click command "Set folder read only"
    for selected folder (or folders) and can be used to quickly restore "lost" folder icon customisations.

DKamensek, Aug 12, 2015
  4. QUO
    Quo Win User

Create custom shell folders for Windows 10

Thema:

Create custom shell folders for Windows 10

1. Create custom shell folders for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create custom shell

2. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder: Tried to move some files between drives to free up space on C. Ended up transferring the entire Desktop Shell to D. When I moved it back, it merged Desktop with User and now the User Shell Folders in Registry are a bit of a mess.I moved Desktop back into its own User Shell...
  3. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder: Tried to move some files between drives to free up space on C. Ended up transferring the entire Desktop Shell to D. When I moved it back, it merged Desktop with User and now the User Shell Folders in Registry are a bit of a mess.I moved Desktop back into its own User Shell...
  4. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to create a new Downloads Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create a new Downloads Shell Folder: I was trying to relocate my default "Downloads" folder to another directory and accidentally named it and pointed it to my E:\ drive. Now windows won't let me correct it so that the default download location should be E:\Downloads. I get an error that tells me I can't put the...
  6. How to create a new Downloads Shell Folder

How to create a new Downloads Shell Folder: I was trying to relocate my default "Downloads" folder to another directory and accidentally named it and pointed it to my E:\ drive. Now windows won't let me correct it so that the default download location should be E:\Downloads. I get an error that tells me I can't put the...
  7. Cannot assign custom folder icon in shell folders as of October 2022 Windows 8.1 Update

Cannot assign custom folder icon in shell folders as of October 2022 Windows 8.1 Update: How can I change the folder icon in windows 8? a. Right-click on a folder that you want to change the icon. b. Click on properties. c. Click on customize tab. d. Under folder icons, click on change icon. e. Choose an icon that you prefer from the list of options you get. f....
  8. Help with Open Shell customizations

Help with Open Shell customizations: I've managed to set almost everything like I want except two things: I'd like the menu to be higher (it's currently lower than how it is in W7), and I'd like to change the behaviour of the "Control Panel" button in the menu: it always opens Control Panel with the "View by"...
  9. Create custom Windows 10 branding

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Create custom Windows 10 branding: I'm starting a new small business where I sell clients custom computers based on their needs. I would like to find a way to have some branding on windows 10 install. For example, there's software/drivers that HP has automatically installed on the computer, as well as a...
  10. Customizing items in shell desktop folder?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customizing items in shell desktop folder?: Hi, I hope this is the right forum. Is it possible to remove/add items in the shell (virtual) desktop folder? I can't find any information anywhere on how to do this, only the "This PC" folder. This is the folder/items I'm talking about [img] 101509

Users found this page by searching for:

1. creating custom shell windows 10

2. windows 10 custom shell folder

3. create shell folder in windows 10

4. windows create custom shell,
  5. windows10 user shell folders,
  6. create custom shell folders windows,
  7. win 10 create shell folder