Windows 10: Create Custom Shortcut Comment Pop-up Description in Windows

Discus and support Create Custom Shortcut Comment Pop-up Description in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create Custom Shortcut Comment Pop-up Description in Windows How to Create a Custom Shortcut Comment Pop-up Description in Windows [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Create Custom Shortcut Comment Pop-up Description in Windows

How to: Create Custom Shortcut Comment Pop-up Description in Windows

How to Create a Custom Shortcut Comment Pop-up Description in Windows

Create Custom Shortcut Comment Pop-up Description in Windows [​IMG]
    Information When you hover over a shortcut of a file, folder, or drive in Windows, a pop-up description) will show displaying basic property details (metadata) such as a shortcut's target location.

You can also specify a custom comment to show instead of the default location infotip when you hover over a shortcut of a file, folder, or drive in Windows.

This tutorial will show you how to create a custom comment pop-up description for a shortcut in Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

Tip If you like, you can customize shortcut infotip details to include this custom comment and all the usual details in the shortcut's infotip pop-up instead of only either the comment or location.

EXAMPLE: Default and custom shortcut comment in infotip pop-up

Here's How:

1. Right click or press and hold on the shortcut (ex: "Notepad") on your desktop or in File Explorer, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

2. In the Comment field, type a comment (ex: "Opens Notepad") you want to show in the pop-up description (infotip) when you hover over this shortcut, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

3. Refresh (F5) the desktop or File Explorer window the shortcut is on to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 18, 2018
  2. Flav---01 Win User

Photo comments and description

After downloading the photos+ app, I see that there is a space to put a comment and/or description but I cannot find a way to include a comment.

Can you please suggest a way to change this apart from copying the photos to a PC and alter the comments there and copying them back to the phone.

Flav---01, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Unable to create shortcuts in Windows 10

Hi Terry,

Provide us with additional information to assist you further:

• Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Does this issue confined to create a shortcut for any specific application?

As a workaround, I suggest you to try creating shortcuts in Safe mode with networking and check if it helps.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Follow the below steps to place the computer in normal mode.

• Press Windows + R keys to open
      Run command.

• Type msconfig
      and press Enter.

• In the System Configuration
      window, click on General tab.

• Select Start-up selection
      as Normal startup, click on Apply and
      Ok

• Follow onscreen instructions.

Reply to the post with the required information and brief description about this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Flava0ne Win User

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

I've created a Batch file which calls on the following VB Script to be able to create a shortcut to my desktop:

VB Script (named createLink.vbs):
    Code: set objWSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") set objFso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") ' command line arguments ' TODO: error checking sShortcut = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(0)) sTargetPath = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(1)) sWorkingDirectory = objFso.GetAbsolutePathName(sShortcut) set objSC = objWSHShell.CreateShortcut(sShortcut) objSC.TargetPath = sTargetPath objSC.WorkingDirectory = sWorkingDirectory objSC.Save[/quote] Batch File Example (for Windows Notepad):
    Code: @echo off cscript createLink.vbs "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Notepad.lnk" "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe"[/quote] But after creating the shortcut using this method, I'm not able to assign a custom icon for the shortcut. I get the following error message when trying to do so:

Create Custom Shortcut Comment Pop-up Description in Windows Error503.jpg

Any help and ideas on what I need to put into the VB Script and/or Batch File to be able to do this would be greatly appreciated! *Big Grin Create Custom Shortcut Comment Pop-up Description in Windows :D

Also, I know that I can simply do this by going to Start Menu\All Programs\Accessories\ right-clicking on Notepad and selecting Send to\Desktop (create shortcut). Easy enough for creating a single shortcut. But I need to create several multiple shortcuts and using this Batch/VBS method would really save me a lot of time in doing so.

Flava0ne, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Create a shortcut to map a network drive windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are willing to create a shortcut to map a network drive. I would suggest you to refer the steps provided in the articles mentioned below and see if it helps.

Create a shortcut to (map) a network drive

Create a shortcut to (map) a network drive

Note: These articles are for Windows 7/8/8.1 but steps holds good for Windows 10 too.

Hope the information provided is helpful. Do let us know if you have any more concern related to Windows. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Oct 26, 2019
  6. cniggeler Win User
    List custom keyboard shortcuts

Hi,

I would like to create a shortcut to Windows Update using CTRL-ALT-U, but when I try to put that in the shortcut key area of the shortcut, it blanks out again. This means I have used that key combo elsewhere, but typing it doesn't do anything. I upgraded
    from Win7 to Win10 and I think I set it for Windows 7 Update.

My questions are,

1. How do I reassign this shortcut?
    2. How do I get a list of custom shortcuts that are already set?

Thanks!

cniggeler, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Create Custom Shortcut Comment Pop-up Description in Windows - Similar Threads - Create Custom Shortcut

2. Folder and File pop-up descriptions bubbles.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder and File pop-up descriptions bubbles.: Is it possible to edit them in some way that allows me to customize the description? I've tried using the Details Tab to edit information but I haven't been able to actually add or remove any information from those values. All I seem to be able to do is select more categories...
  3. Folder and File pop-up descriptions bubbles.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder and File pop-up descriptions bubbles.: Is it possible to edit them in some way that allows me to customize the description? I've tried using the Details Tab to edit information but I haven't been able to actually add or remove any information from those values. All I seem to be able to do is select more categories...
  4. Help Need Asap - Description in Comments

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help Need Asap - Description in Comments: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/killdai [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mjswpq/help_need_asap_description_in_comments/
  5. 100% Disk Usage. Description in comments.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% Disk Usage. Description in comments.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/CallMeTrinity23 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l38xx1/100_disk_usage_description_in_comments/
  6. Create custom shortcut for Ccleaner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create custom shortcut for Ccleaner: Does anyone know how to get these commands into one shortcut that will launch them when clicked? [img] RUNAS regedit /s "C:\Users\Chris\Documents\System Stuff\Ccleaner Reg\Ccleaner.reg" RUNAS regedit /s "C:\Users\Chris\Documents\System Stuff\Ccleaner Reg\Ccleaner2.reg"...
  7. Create custom shortcut for Ccleaner

in Windows 10 Support
    Create custom shortcut for Ccleaner: Does anyone know how to get these commands into one shortcut that will launch them when clicked? [img] RUNAS regedit /s "C:\Users\Chris\Documents\System Stuff\Ccleaner Reg\Ccleaner.reg" RUNAS regedit /s "C:\Users\Chris\Documents\System Stuff\Ccleaner Reg\Ccleaner2.reg"...
  8. How to create custom Keyboard shortcuts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to create custom Keyboard shortcuts in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In the quest to maximize productivity and blitz through the flood of Windows 10 applications at top speed, ‘Keyboard Shortcuts’ aid as one secret weapon. Windows 10 offers you the option to create custom keyboard shortcuts that allow you to [...] This post...
  9. Creating pop ups

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Creating pop ups: I want to create a pop up that reminds me to do a certain thing when I open a specific program. It is something that I always forget how to do and I want it to disappear when I click OK or something like that. Is it possible to do that at all? Thanking you in advance and...
  10. Hide or Show Pop-up Descriptions in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show Pop-up Descriptions in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show Pop-up Descriptions in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show Pop-up Description for Folder and Desktop Items in Windows 10 [img] Information When you hover over a file, folder, drive, or desktop items in Windows, a pop-up description (infotip) will show...