Windows 10: Create Desktop Background shortcut in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Desktop Background shortcut in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create Desktop Background shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a 'Desktop Background' Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information Your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by dogpark, Sep 28, 2015.

1. dogpark Win User

Create Desktop Background shortcut in Windows 10

How to: Create Desktop Background shortcut in Windows 10

How to Create a 'Desktop Background' Shortcut in Windows 10

Create Desktop Background shortcut in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Your desktop background (also called wallpaper) can be a picture from your personal collection or included with Windows, a solid color, or a slide show playing selected pictures randomly on all displays.

Windows 10 now has you changing your desktop background in the Settings app. This helps to make it easier to do on small screens or touch screens, but it no longer has an option to set a picture for separate monitors like in the Desktop Background settings.

This tutorial will show you how to download or create a Desktop Background shortcut to choose a desktop background for all or specific monitors for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Download a Desktop Background Shortcut
    • Option Two: To Manually Create a Desktop Background Shortcut

EXAMPLE: Desktop Background in Control Panel and Settings

OPTION ONE [/i] To Download a Desktop Background Shortcut
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .zip file you want below.
    Control_Panel_Desktop_Background_shortcut

Download

OR

Settings_Desktop_Background_shortcut.zip

Download
    2. Save the .zip file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .zip file.

4. Open the .zip file, and extract (drag and drop) the shortcut to your desktop.

5. If you like, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Manually Create a Desktop Background Shortcut
    1. Right click or press and hold on an empty area on your desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.

2. Copy and paste the location below you want to use into the location area, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
    (Control Panel)
    *Arrow explorer shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921} -Microsoft.Personalization\pageWallpaper

OR

(Settings)
    *Arrow explorer ms-settingsCreate Desktop Background shortcut in Windows 10 :personalization-background

3. Type Desktop Background for the name, and click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)
    NOTE: You could name this shortcut anything you would like though.

4. Right click or press and hold on the new Desktop Background shortcut, and click/tap on Properties.

5. Click/tap on the Shortcut tab, and click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)

6. In the line under "Look for icons in this file", copy and paste the location below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow %SystemRoot%\System32\imageres.dll

7. Select the icon highlighted in blue above, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot above)
    NOTE: You could use any icon that you would like instead though.

8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 5)

9. If you like, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

dogpark, Sep 28, 2015
  2. Akheel Ahmed, Sep 28, 2015
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 28, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome dogpark. *Smile

Brink, Sep 28, 2015
  5. dogpark Win User
    Found it:
    C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\BingDesktop\themes

& now I can use Slideshow.

Should have tried a little harder before posting *Think

dogpark, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Create Desktop Background shortcut in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Desktop Background

2. Creating Desktop Shortcuts in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating Desktop Shortcuts in Windows 11: I have done many things to try to create desktop shortcuts, and none of them work. When I drag and drop from the Windows app tray, it has the little loading icon for a split second before not working. The same thing happens with the Open file location --Right click--Show More...
  3. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  4. Create desktop shortcuts in Windows. 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create desktop shortcuts in Windows. 11: I don't seem able to drag and drop app icons and shortcuts on windows 11 desktop.Am I missing something?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-desktop-shortcuts-in-windows-11/72ddd1da-1c1b-4067-87bc-b3cfda092d5c
  5. Create desktop shortcuts in Windows. 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create desktop shortcuts in Windows. 11: I don't seem able to drag and drop app icons and shortcuts on windows 11 desktop.Am I missing something?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-desktop-shortcuts-in-windows-11/72ddd1da-1c1b-4067-87bc-b3cfda092d5c
  6. Create a shortcut on desktop with Edge and windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create a shortcut on desktop with Edge and windows 10: I tried to follow the instructions that were posted here, but when I click on the three dots and box comes up and there is nothing on there about opening with IE or open with anything. Now what do I do?...
  7. Creating a shortcut to trigger a shortcut in a background program?

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating a shortcut to trigger a shortcut in a background program?: I am transcribing audio, I have an audio program running in the background while I have a text program open to do the typing. I use ctrl + , as a shortcut in the audio program a lot, its the rewind function, but as it is, I have to keep switching out of the text program to...
  8. Creating a desktop shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Creating a desktop shortcut: All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder, either an exe or lnk, to the Desktop it does not launch when clicked, or when I click open or run as Admin. Sometimes I cant...
  9. Create Desktop Shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Create Desktop Shortcut: O.k. I give up...can someone tell me how to create a desktop shortcut ? using Edge browser....also how do you move something from the favourites bar to the desktop?......it must be possible surely ?........Del. 73345
  10. Create shortcut to windows update on desktop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Create shortcut to windows update on desktop: Can't seem to find a way to do this. Anybody know? 5373