Windows 10: Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10 Desktop Icon Settings... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Gary, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Gary Win User

Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10

How to: Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10

How to Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10

Desktop Icon Settings allows you to add or remove and change the icon of the common This PC, User's Files, Network, Recycle Bin, and Control Panel desktop icons.

You can also set to prevent or allow themes to change these desktop icons.

This tutorial will show you how to create or download a Desktop Icon Settings shortcut in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Download a Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut
    • Option Two: To Manually Create a Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut

EXAMPLE: Desktop Icon Settings

Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Download a Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .zip file below.
    Desktop_Icon_Settings_shortcut.zip

Download
    2. Save the .zip file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .zip file..

4. Open the .zip file, and extract (drag and drop) the shortcut to your desktop.

5. If you like, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Manually Create a Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut
    1. Right click or press and hold on an empty area on your desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.

2. Copy and paste the location below into the location area, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,0

3. Type Desktop Icon Settings for the name, and click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)

*note You could name this shortcut anything you would like though.

4. Right click or press and hold on the new Desktop Icon Settings shortcut, and click/tap on Properties.

5. Click/tap on the Shortcut tab, then click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)

6. In the line under "Look for icons in this file", copy and paste the location below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow %windir%\System32\desk.cpl

7. Select the icon highlighted in blue above, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot above)

*note You could use any icon that you would like instead though.

8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

9. If you like, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Oct 26, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Oct 26, 2019
  5. How to create an icon for Yahoo mail on desktop in Windows 10?

Hello Barbara,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

From the above description, I understand you want to place a Yahoo mail icon on your PC’s desktop.

Before assisting further, when you say “icon for Yahoo mail”, do you mean to create shortcut of the mail application on desktop?

You can create desktop shortcuts for all the system applications and web pages on Windows 10.

To create a shortcut for Yahoo mail, I suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Right click on empty space of the desktop and hover the mouse pointer over at
      New from the context menu.
    • Select Shortcut and type https://mail.yahoo.com web address in the address bar.
    • Click on Next and Finish.
    • Check if the shortcut icon is created on the desktop.
    • Double click on the created shortcut icon and configure the browser in which you like to open the page in.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Frick Win User
    Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

Keyboard shortcuts to open programs:

Create a shortcut on the desktop to whatever program you want. Right click -> Properties and fill in the field there. Sadly the shortcut needs to remain on the desktop, but you can hide it.

Fun fact: If you had keyboard shortcuts for programs pinned to your Windows 7 start menu, those shortcuts still work when you update to Windows 10.

Frick, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Desktop Icon

2. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  3. Windows 10 Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Desktop Shortcut Icons: Hello, I hope someone can help; I've been trying to fix this problem for months. I have about 70-80 shortcuts on my Windows 10 PC Desktop. I keep them arranged to my taste, and when I make any changes, I create a new restore point, just in case. I have also started taking...
  4. How to create a desktop shortcut to this settings menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to create a desktop shortcut to this settings menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/PleasantSport [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e9z9xi/how_to_create_a_desktop_shortcut_to_this_settings/
  5. Desktop icons and files are missing, unable to create shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons and files are missing, unable to create shortcut: Hi everyone. I am having a problem after virus infecting (actually it happened few months ago). After removing the virus, my desktop icons and files on desktop are not shown, while they are still in Desktop folder. Also, I can't create new shortcut. So how can I fix it? Thank...
  6. Creating a desktop shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Creating a desktop shortcut: All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder, either an exe or lnk, to the Desktop it does not launch when clicked, or when I click open or run as Admin. Sometimes I cant...
  7. Create Desktop Shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Create Desktop Shortcut: O.k. I give up...can someone tell me how to create a desktop shortcut ? using Edge browser....also how do you move something from the favourites bar to the desktop?......it must be possible surely ?........Del. 73345
  8. Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows: How to: Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows How to Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows The drives. This tutorial will show you how to change the icon for the Send to > Desktop (create shortcut) context menu item to any icon...
  9. Need Help With Creating Icons for Desktop Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Need Help With Creating Icons for Desktop Shortcuts: In trying to create desktop shortcuts to websites that have recognizable icons, instead of Microsoft's generic, look-alike ones, I tried to follow this excellent, step-by-step YouTube video which was generously submitted by Edwin, however I got stuck at one point, and don't...
  10. Create Settings shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Settings shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Settings shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Settings shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information Most of the settings you'll want to change in Windows 10 are in Settings. Settings is organized into the separate System, Devices, Network & Internet,...