Windows 10: Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10 How to Create Elevated App Shortcut without UAC Prompt in Windows 10 When you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by rangergord, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10

How to: Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10

How to Create Elevated App Shortcut without UAC Prompt in Windows 10

When you open an application file with UAC prompt for approval before the app is allowed to run with elevated rights.

In addition, Windows will not allow elevated apps to run at startup by default.

If you want to run an app as administrator (elevated) without getting a UAC prompt or at startup, then you can create an elevated task to run the application as a workaround to do so.

This tutorial will show you how to create a shortcut of an elevated task to run an app as administrator without getting a UAC prompt in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to create and use the elevated shortcut.

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog, type taskschd.msc, and click/tap on OK to open Task Scheduler.

2. Click/tap on Task Scheduler Library in the left pane of Task Scheduler, and click/tap on Create Task in the right Actions pane. (see screenshot below)

Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. In the General tab, type a name (ex: "Elevated command prompt") you want for this task, and type an optional description of the task. (see screenshot below)

*note Make note of this task name. You will need to know it in step 8 and when you create a shortcut of this task in step 13 below.

4. In the General tab, check the Run with highest privileges box. (see screenshot below)

5. In the General tab, select Windows 10 in the Configure for drop down menu. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on the Actions tab, and click/tap on the New button. (see screenshot below)

7. Type cmd.exe in the Program/script field. (see screenshot below)

*note This is what is being used to open the elevated shortcut from, so it cannot be changed to anything else.

8. Type the command below into the Add arguments field, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow /c start "Task Name" "Full path of application file"

*note Substitute Task Name in the command above with the task name (ex: "Elevated command prompt") you used in step 3 above.

Substitute Full path of application file in the command above with the actual full path of the application file you want to run as administrator.

For example: /c start "Elevated command prompt" "%windir%\System32\cmd.exe"

9. You will now see this new action listed. (see screenshot below)

10. Click/tap on the Conditions tab, uncheck the Start the task only if the computer is on AC power box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

11. You will now see this new task (ex: "Elevated command prompt") listed in the Task Scheduler Library. You can now close Task Scheduler if you like. (see screenshot below)

12. Right click or press and hold on your desktop, click/tap on New, and click/tap on Shortcut.

13. Type the command below into the location field, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow schtasks /run /tn "Task Name"

*note Substitute Task Name in the command above with the task name (ex: "Elevated command prompt") you used in step 3 above.

For example: schtasks /run /tn "Elevated command prompt"

14. Type a name (ex: "Elevated command prompt") you want for this shortcut of the task, and click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

15. Right click or press and hold on the new shortcut on your desktop, and click/tap on Properties.

16. Click/tap on the Change Icon button in the Shortcut tab. (see screenshot below)

17. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

18. Click/tap on Browse, navigate to and select the application file (ex: "%windir%\System32\cmd.exe") you want to run as administrator, click/tap on Open, select the icon you want for the shortcut, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

*note You can use any icon you want for this shortcut.

19. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

20. You can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this elevated shortcut to where you like for easy use.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

rangergord, Jan 24, 2017

2. User Account Control

We are volunteers willing to help you try to resolve this issue.

Use this an put it in your start for that program.

This is the best tutorial I have seen :

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/57690-creat...

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Jan 24, 2017
  3. Disable UAC for 1 Program only

HI,

This should work. If not check with the support for that program.

Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Jan 24, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 24, 2017
  5. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I have anther question about these prompts.
    Why do some apps require the prompt and some don't?
    For example, I have two file managers, FreeCommanderXE which requires the annoying prompt both in the Admin and Local users and, FoldViewer, which does not have the prompt in either for the Admin or the Local User.
    Was something written into the code or is there a setting?

rangergord, Jan 27, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It comes down to if the app is programmed to request for elevated rights (aka: "Run as administrator") to run.

If it does, then you'll get prompted by UAC.

Brink, Jan 27, 2017
  7. Draegor Win User
    Thanks. This allowed me to setup Speedfan to run on startup on windows 10.

Draegor, Feb 13, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm glad it could help Draegor, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Feb 13, 2017
  9. Draegor Win User
    Nice reply time. Made an account to show my appreciation.

Draegor, Feb 13, 2017
  10. I've tried the OP's directions and was successful at setting up a shortcut for VirtualBox on a standard user account.

However, I tried it for a VPN (Private Internet Access) and it starts fine, but eventually stops with an error that says, to the effect, "Needs Administrator Privileges to Run".

BTW, normally, the user is just prompted for the Admin password, and, when entered, no problem. For obvious reasons, would like to avoid the user from needing to know that password.

At some point in near future I'd like to try the RunAsSpc or elevated RunAs command solutions mentioned in a link above, but would like to know if anyone had any experience with VPNs or other programs that seem to have some hidden call to another program where the Admin rights may not carry over?

How did they overcome this problem?

Was it with one of these two other solutions, and, if not, any tips?

And, are these other solutions likely to bypass that or those calls?

Thanks.

transplanted99, Mar 1, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 1, 2017
  12. Burbla Win User
    Hello Brink, I have used this guide to get GPUtweakII (ASUS GPU tweaking tool) to run at startup without the UAC being prompted, except if I don't manually close the program before restart/shutdown, it will ask for UAC on restart. Is there a way to stop that? Or make GPUtweakII close down on restart/shutdown?

Burbla, Nov 25, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 25, 2017
  14. Burbla Win User
    Sadly that didn't work. I guess it asks for elevated permissions then if I'm understanding

Burbla, Nov 25, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Using the method in this tutorial would normally stop it from giving a UAC prompt to run at startup.

However, with the new behavior for automatically restarting opened apps at startup after you restart or shutdown the PC, that would cause you to get the UAC prompt for the app if left open when you shutdown. Normally, turning off Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart would stop this, but only starting with build 17040.

Brink, Nov 25, 2017
Thema:

1. Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Elevated Shortcut

2. UAC prompts with QuickAssist, elevated Admin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UAC prompts with QuickAssist, elevated Admin: The quick explanation of how to "unblock" UAC prompts on the remote, from the assisting PC, is, from the assisting PC:1 Open cmd.exe non-elevated on the remote computer.2 Execute runas /user:Administrator cmd3 In the resulting elevated prompt, execute all one...
  3. UAC prompts with QuickAssist, elevated Admin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UAC prompts with QuickAssist, elevated Admin: The quick explanation of how to "unblock" UAC prompts on the remote, from the assisting PC, is, from the assisting PC:1 Open cmd.exe non-elevated on the remote computer.2 Execute runas /user:Administrator cmd3 In the resulting elevated prompt, execute all one...
  4. Required Elevation on UAC Credit Prompts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Required Elevation on UAC Credit Prompts: I'm trying to use my computer, and I'm a standard user.If I try to answer with the correct credentials I know they are correct because of the following responseAll i get is red text saying "The required process requires elevation." and i dont know what to do about this.I...
  5. Required Elevation on UAC Credit Prompts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Required Elevation on UAC Credit Prompts: I'm trying to use my computer, and I'm a standard user.If I try to answer with the correct credentials I know they are correct because of the following responseAll i get is red text saying "The required process requires elevation." and i dont know what to do about this.I...
  6. Required Elevation on UAC Credit Prompts

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. UAC will not elevate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UAC will not elevate: This issue is happening on all Windows 10 systems 1909 and 20H2. I have tried DISM repairs, new profiles, a fresh image, a fresh image with no group policy. It will work for about an hour after each reboot, but then it starts to fail again.Users operate under standard domain...
  8. Unable to paste credentials into the elevated UAC prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to paste credentials into the elevated UAC prompt: I recently received a new laptop through work. I have full admin rights, but I have found that I am unable to paste anything in the UAC prompt whether I have regedit/gppolicy Secure Desktop enabled or disabled. I cannot disable UAC as it is against policy and I get a randomly...
  9. UAC Elevation prompts?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC Elevation prompts?: Which is more secure regards to the UAC Elevation prompt? And which one should I select for the Admin account? Prompt for Credentials on the Secure Desktop or Prompt for Credentials? 137776
  10. Create Elevated Command Prompt Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Elevated Command Prompt Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Elevated Command Prompt Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands in an elevated command prompt, you can perform tasks that require administrator...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. elevated shortcut windows 10

2. elevated shortcut program for windows 10

3. create shortcut uac win 10

4. how to create elevated app shortcut without uac prompt in windows 10,
  5. shortcut uac prompt windows 10