Windows 10: Create Environment Variables Shortcut in Windows

Discus and support Create Environment Variables Shortcut in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create Environment Variables Shortcut in Windows How to Create Environment Variables Shortcut in Windows Environment variables are a set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Scottyboy99, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Create Environment Variables Shortcut in Windows

How to: Create Environment Variables Shortcut in Windows

How to Create Environment Variables Shortcut in Windows

Environment variables are a set of dynamic named values that can affect the way running processes will behave on a computer. The variables can be used both in scripts and on the command line. Environment variables makes it easy when certain standard directories and parameters need to be referenced but where the actual locations or names can vary from computer to computer.

The variable (ex: "%UserProfile%") is used as a type of shortcut of the value (ex: "C:\Users\<username>").

There are two types of environment variables: user environment variables (set only for current user) and system environment variables (set for all users).

This tutorial will show you how to create or download an Environment Variables shortcut in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*note To set new, edit, or delete system variables, you would need to use Run as administrator on the Environment Variables shortcut.

To set new, edit, or delete user variables, you can just open the Environment Variables shortcut.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Download an Environment Variables Shortcut
    • Option Two: To Manually Create an Environment Variables Shortcut

EXAMPLE: Environment Variables

Create Environment Variables Shortcut in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Download an Environment Variables Shortcut
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .zip file below.
    Environment_Variables_shortcut.zip

Download
    2. Save the .zip file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .zip file..

4. Open the .zip file, and extract (drag and drop) the shortcut to your desktop.

5. You can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Manually Create an Environment Variables Shortcut
    1. Right click or press and hold on an empty area on your desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.

2. Copy and paste the location below into the location area, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
    %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe sysdm.cpl,EditEnvironmentVariables

3. Type Environment Variables for the name, and click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)

*note You could name this shortcut anything you would like though.

4. Right click or press and hold on the new Environment Variables shortcut, and click/tap on Properties.

5. Click/tap on the Shortcut tab, and click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)

6. In the line under "Look for icons in this file", copy and paste the location below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    %windir%\System32\sysdm.cpl

7. Select the icon highlighted in blue above, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot above)

*note You could use any icon that you would like instead though.

8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

9. You can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Scottyboy99, Aug 13, 2017
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

System environment variable won't stick

Running Win10 Home on an Acer Spin 3, 64bit, i7cpu. I try to add a path to the system environment variables by:

1. Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > Environment variables

2. The "Environment Variables" window opens.
    3. In the "System Variables" pane I select "Path" and click the EDIT button.
    4. A list of the current system paths is displayed.
    5. I click the NEW button, browse to the path I want to add which is "C:\Python36-32" and click OK. The path "C:\Python36-32" is added to the list of current system paths.
    6. I click OK and am returned to the "Environment Variables" window.
    7. I click the "X" at the top right to close the "Environment Variables" window.

Now if I click the "Environment Variables" button again (end of step-1) and repeat steps 2-4, the new path I added in step-5 is gone. IOW, adding a new path won't stick.

What am I doing wrong?

3. Searching environment variable in list

I'm using a command that gives me a list of environment variables. When searching in the list, I want to find all environment variables with the word
    EXTERNAL; using the following command all that is occurring is all the environment variables are being listed instead of those environment variables with the word
    EXTERNAL ?

findstr /c "EXTERNAL"

StraightWorld, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Bob_880 Win User

Create Environment Variables Shortcut in Windows

Environment Variable

Hi,

I accidentally deleted the entire environment variables on my windows 10 PC. Resetting the Pc is creating a lot of problems. The reset page would only load 47% and prompted me with a message "undoing changes." Is there a way someone can suggest to resolve
    this problem?

Bob_880, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Edit - Set Environment Variables

Recently I upgraded my Machine from Win 8 to Win 10, but I encountered many problems like virtual boxes related issues that does not create any problems prior to upgrading to Win 10.My mean concern as of now is I cant edit the system variable even I logged
    as the admin of my machine.I would like to add Java Jdk but windows does not allow me to add the path to environment variables.

Is this a bug? Or what are the steps in order to edit environment variables in Windows 10 machine

Ian

ianrusseladem, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Bree Win User
    System environment variable won't stick

Yes, there's an OK button for each step.

Thema:

Create Environment Variables Shortcut in Windows

1. Create Environment Variables Shortcut in Windows - Similar Threads - Create Environment Variables

2. environment variables

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    environment variables: Cant get the modal window when editing my system variables from the environment variables areai get this windowand i want this window https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/07d24fc8-345d-4062-8169-3fa9bb16a049
  3. environment variables

in Windows 10 Gaming
    environment variables: Cant get the modal window when editing my system variables from the environment variables areai get this windowand i want this window https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/07d24fc8-345d-4062-8169-3fa9bb16a049
  4. environment variables

in Windows 10 Customization
    environment variables: I have accidentally deleted all environment variables and now can't reset PC, sound problems and having errors withsoftware installations and running of other apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/3412f031-f141-4fb5-858c-009dd5639860
  5. environment variables

environment variables: Hi, another question from a noob. I see in my PC environment variables at the bottom of the list a sole entry called ZES_ENABLE SYSMAN 1 .I am a sole PC home windows 10 user who only really games a lot. Should this be here, i can only find entries for this in the...
  6. DRM environment variables

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DRM environment variables: Hello, Long story short, I tried to install a develpment kit (QT5 android development) and needed to add a environment variable. I somehow overwrote some other variables (misclicked....) and now DRM content e.g. via the amazon prime app is no longer working (gives me a DRM...
  7. Environment Variables

Environment Variables: I am unable to add USER Variable in windows environment variable setting. Not asking for Path variables in system variables. Help will be appreciated. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/0d063cb8-ccde-465d-8b8b-d5c1ea880c78
  8. environment variable

environment variable: What would happen when we deleted all the environment variable system directory. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variable/723a4cb6-5baf-4907-a56b-614f35d77da5
  9. windows environment variable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows environment variable: I have deleted all thing and every thing from windows environment variable that's why I faces problem in running programe than how can I setup environment variable again?...
  10. Environment Variables

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Environment Variables: what will happen if i accidentally delete one of those environment variables without realizing it ? and how to fix it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/fedbdf36-ce8e-4861-a775-1dc62dd1c67e