Windows 10: Create File Explorer UWP app Shortcut in Windows 10

Discus and support Create File Explorer UWP app Shortcut in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create File Explorer UWP app Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a UWP File Explorer app Shortcut in Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Cliff S New Member

Create File Explorer UWP app Shortcut in Windows 10

How to: Create File Explorer UWP app Shortcut in Windows 10

How to Create a UWP File Explorer app Shortcut in Windows 10

Windows 10 Insider Preview build 14936 includes a new Universal Windows Platform (UWP) File Explorer app that is still an unfinished early version. It is a touch oriented app, with no Ribbon, toolbar, or any shell extensions like the File Explorer app in Windows 10 Mobile.

This tutorial will show you how to create or download a UWP File Explorer app shortcut in Windows 10.

Give the early version of this UWP File Explorer app a play with, and please post about your findings and thoughts about the app so far.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Download a UWP File Explorer app Shortcut
    • Option Two: To Manually Create a UWP File Explorer app Shortcut

EXAMPLE: Universal Windows Platform (UWP) File Explorer app

Create File Explorer UWP app Shortcut in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Download a UWP File Explorer app Shortcut
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .zip file below.
    Universal_File_Explorer_shortcut.zip

Download
    2. Save the .zip file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .zip file.

4. Open the .zip file, and extract (drag and drop) the shortcut to your desktop.

5. If you like, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Manually Create a UWP File Explorer app Shortcut
    1. Right click or press and hold on an empty area on your desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.

2. Copy and paste the location below into the location area, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow %windir%\explorer.exe shell:AppsFolder\c5e2524a-ea46-4f67-841f-6a9465d9d515_cw5n1h2txyewy!App

3. Type Universal File Explorer for the name, and click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)

*note You could name this shortcut anything you would like though.

4. If you like, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Sep 30, 2016

2. New file explorer in Fall Creators update, option to disable?

You mean the UWP version (other apps also are thrown into that shell as well)...?

I have not personally used the latest releases, but I would be very surprised if there is not a on/off for it and other apps and the UWP type interface for this release. It may not last forever, but given the

UWP version of File Explorer was able to be ENABLED in "Creators Update"
    , it will likely have a similar "enable/disable" type situation in "Fall Creators Update".

Shenan Stanley, Sep 30, 2016
  3. kth7 Win User
    Launch Path for UWPs

I have a MS wireless keyboard 3000 v2. With the MS mouse and keyboard centre, some of the shortcut keys can be used to trigger specific actions or launch specific apps.

I have not trouble setting shortcuts for win32 apps but not for UWP apps. If I create a shortcut for the UWPs on the desktop and reference to open the UWP via that shortcut I get an catastrophic error prompt.

any ides to launch a UWP?

4. Cliff S New Member

Additional:
    Drag & drop from File Explorer(a text document) into the UWP version to the Public documents, does not work yet.
    Also there is no paste option. Ctrl+v doesn't do it either.

Using the Copy To in the same folder(quick access) worked, then the delete worked too, BUT... It deletes it directly, and does not move it to recycle bin, so BEWARE!

Cliff S, Sep 30, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member

Cliff S, Sep 30, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Search works realllly fast:

Cliff S, Sep 30, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    To get the shortcut in the Start Menu, go to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    and follow Option Two in the tutorial.

It will:
    1.) Place a shortcut in the All Apps column.
    2.) Then just right click and select "Pin to Start"

Cliff S, Sep 30, 2016
  8. linw Win User

There you go, then, it is exciting!!

linw, Oct 1, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    I told you so(in the other thread)*Biggrin

Cliff S, Oct 1, 2016
  10. Edwin New Member
    Universal File Explorer skins! *Biggrin
    Can't do much though, can't even launch an executable.

Edwin, Oct 3, 2016
  11. Edwin New Member
    The UWP File Explorer will render custom icons but not for folders, much like the Start Menu! *Sad
    You can create new folders and move items that will reflect in the Win32 environment.

(That icon pack looks great with a dark UI!) *Wink

Edwin, Oct 11, 2016
  12. Cliff S New Member
    Too bad we can't do this with free software*Wink

Cliff S, Oct 11, 2016
  13. swarfega Win User

I can't seem to enable UWP Explorer any more. I'm currently on build 14393.969.

swarfega, Apr 1, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 1, 2017
  15. swarfega Win User
    Thanks Sean, will try that in the morning. Never do things when you're tired *Tongue

swarfega, Apr 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Create File Explorer UWP app Shortcut in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create File Explorer

2. - Unable to create shortcut - Explorer Windows 10 Shortcut to the internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    - Unable to create shortcut - Explorer Windows 10 Shortcut to the internet: Hello.Summary: Creating shortcut to the internet in a folder fails intermittently. Context: I've been in the habit of creating shortcuts to the internet in a folder for ... over 20 years ?, I guess. Recently, I'm having problems to do so. My computer is a new HP laptop....
  3. - Unable to create shortcut - Explorer Windows 10 Shortcut to the internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    - Unable to create shortcut - Explorer Windows 10 Shortcut to the internet: Hello.Summary: Creating shortcut to the internet in a folder fails intermittently. Context: I've been in the habit of creating shortcuts to the internet in a folder for ... over 20 years ?, I guess. Recently, I'm having problems to do so. My computer is a new HP laptop....
  4. - Unable to create shortcut - Explorer Windows 10 Shortcut to the internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to create desktop shortcuts for Windows 10 UWP apps

in Windows 10 News
    How to create desktop shortcuts for Windows 10 UWP apps: [ATTACH]Microsoft introduced UWP (Universal Windows Platform) apps in Windows OS based on UWA (Universal Windows Apps) to access across all compatible Microsoft Windows devices like […] This article How to create desktop shortcuts for Windows 10 UWP apps first appeared on...
  6. Large spool file is created when printing Windows 10 UWP app

in Windows 10 News
    Large spool file is created when printing Windows 10 UWP app: [ATTACH]Some Windows users might be experiencing issues when printing from Modern UWP App creates a huge spool file when Advanced Printing feature is selected or […] This article Large spool file is created when printing Windows 10 UWP app first appeared on...
  7. How to enable the UWP File Explorer on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable the UWP File Explorer on Windows 10: Microsoft appears to be focused on improving the desktop File Explorer but the software maker is quietly testing UWP File Explorer for Windows 10. The UWP File Explorer is still believed to be actively developed and it’s scheduled to launch with Windows Core OS. UWP File...
  8. Create an app shortcut?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create an app shortcut?: Create an app shortcut? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/create-an-app-shortcut/a60c661c-2fbc-4d54-aa0f-3293e39a2c86
  9. Creating shortcuts freeze explorer / create tmp files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating shortcuts freeze explorer / create tmp files.: Hello, I currently have reformatted & installed Windows 10. I've been having this weird issue where if I rename / create shortcuts my computer will freeze. After about 15-20 seconds, explorer will restart and put files "~ew shortcut.tmp / New shortcut.lnk~RF3cc187.TMP" on my...
  10. Create Startup Apps shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Startup Apps shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Startup Apps shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Startup Apps Shortcut in Windows 10 Startup items are the apps, shortcuts, folders, drivers, etc... that are set to run or open automatically at startup when a user signs in to Windows. Startup items can...