Windows 10: create folders in start menu to organize

Discus and support create folders in start menu to organize in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; In W7 I have created folders in the start menu so I can organize by topic. I can't figure out if/how to do that in W10. Any clues? 7446 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ruggb, Jun 26, 2015.

1. ruggb Win User

create folders in start menu to organize

In W7 I have created folders in the start menu so I can organize by topic.
    I can't figure out if/how to do that in W10.
    Any clues?

:)

ruggb, Jun 26, 2015
  2. d0gknees Win User

Start STILL doesn't do folders

Creating folders in the start menu to organize our application shortcuts as we wish.

d0gknees, Jun 26, 2015
  3. How to create folders in Windows 10 Start Menu? Problems with shortcuts

I have restarted many times the computer after creating the folder without no result. However, I had done it more than one time before without any problem.

PereCasanellas, Jun 26, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jun 26, 2015
  5. You have to navigate to the All Users Start menu

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Create folders per your organization - they'll still be sorted alphabetically so plan the names
    Then move the specific application folder to your newly created folder(s).

Universal apps have a mind of their own, but you can organize Desktop apps in the menu list.

create folders in start menu to organize [​IMG]

It's not perfect *cry

Slartybart, Jun 26, 2015
  6. ruggb Win User
    that may work in W8 but it doesn't seem to work in W10.
    Any changes I make in that folder or the one under appdata do not appear on the all apps list.
    Where are these hiding now?

ruggb, Jun 27, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    You need to go to the specified location, (highlighted), and create folders and shortcuts of the one you want to show on the Start Menu, then possibly 'hide' the rest.

create folders in start menu to organize [​IMG]

Edwin, Jun 27, 2015
  8. ruggb Win User

let me try it again......
    SMF = C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    AUSMF = C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    MYSMF = C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    AA = All Apps
    I am logged in as Bill

It appears that SMF is a duplicate of AUSMF - i have not verified the whole thing
    SOME of what is in SMF is in AA
    SOME of what is in AA is NOT in SMF
    It appears that NONE of what is in MYSMF is in AA nor is it in SMF
    If I put something in a folder under SMF it will not appear in AA even if I do a reboot. It will appear in AUSMF

Bottom line, either my install (10130) is broken or ur answer is wrong.

The other troubling issue is that a folder in SMF that appears under AA will not show sub folders. Instead all item, for example, under UTILITIES and its sub folders (other programs), appear under UTILITIES - It is like a file cabinet with drawers but no hanging file folders or folders.

In W7, items in AUSMF and MYSMF appeared in SMF and SMF items appeared on the start menu with the folder structure - as u r describing - not yet correct in W10.

The folders that appear r names I gave the install program when I installed a program. IE, WinZIP was listed "Utilities\WinZIP" and "Utilities" appeared. I guess that is why no other folder name appears. I would have to enter "Utilities\WinZIP\WinZIP" for the files to appear in AA\Utilities\WinZIP"

ruggb, Jun 28, 2015
  9. ruggb Win User
    Another issue - I managed to get a folder into the AA by placing it directly under AUSMF. It appeared under SMF however, W10 has no clue where it is. The links don't work. If I go to the SMF I can clk and open the program.

Sounds like an ant hill to me. lot's of bugs.

ruggb, Jun 28, 2015
  10. I'm experiencing the same issue. Instead of creating a folder under All apps, it will pin the folder or shortcut to the start menu, as in Pin to Start. Have you found a solution yet?

AntonAnton, Sep 30, 2015
  11. mykou Win User
    Hi

why not give a try with classic shell menu ?

- it is free

- you still can access win 10 native start menu ( with middle mousebutton )

- it's skinnable ( taskbar may also have transparency )

- you can create folders subfolders with cascading menus

- very customisable ( use your own icons)

when I come back home I post a screen of mine under classic shell

regards

mykou, Sep 30, 2015
  12. ruggb Win User
    If u place a shortcut directly into the your Start Menu folder it will appear on your Start Menu - slow but does not require a restart.
    If it a shortcut or folder in your Start Menu\Programs folder it will appear in All apps. If it is a folder inside a folder only the app shortcuts in that folder will appear in the top folder.
    If u place it in == C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar == it will appear on the taskbar. The default taskbar items do not follow this. I have no idea where they r.
    I have no idea what this is == C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu Places
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs == a copy of All users start menu
    actual All apps is a combo of C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs +
    C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    HOWEVER, I have at least one item that I cannot find ANYWHERE and since it involves 3D printing it isn't an MS entry.
    that is all I know so far. == == I take that back, it is a windoz app.

ruggb, Sep 30, 2015
  13. ruggb Win User

thx mkou
    I was trying to avoid doing that -- and give MS the benefit of doubt BUT there r still things they can't seem to understand about the concept of "EASE OF USE" and "USER FRIENDLY".

Fortunately, W10 isn't as bad as W8 - but for Tech User Friendly it isn't - hopefully for MS normal user friendly it is, but I haven't heard from my sister yet.

ruggb, Sep 30, 2015
  14. It doesn't work. Instead of showing up under All apps, it pins either the folder or the shortcut to the right side of the start menu, as if one used the function Pin to Start.

AntonAnton, Sep 30, 2015
  15. ruggb Win User
    are u placing it here
    C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs ?
    or u can place it here
    C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

If u place it here
    C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    it will end up on the Start Menu (Metro portion) not All apps

ruggb, Oct 1, 2015
Thema:

1. create folders in start menu to organize - Similar Threads - create folders start

2. Start Menu Subfolder Organization

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Subfolder Organization: So this organization feature from Windows 7 doesn't make sense to have removed in Windows 10: Subfolders in the All Apps list. Now, I cannot speak for Windows 11, but the fact that even after people have brought this up before see this thread back in 2015, and still even...
  3. Start Menu Subfolder Organization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu Subfolder Organization: So this organization feature from Windows 7 doesn't make sense to have removed in Windows 10: Subfolders in the All Apps list. Now, I cannot speak for Windows 11, but the fact that even after people have brought this up before see this thread back in 2015, and still even...
  4. Start Menu Subfolder Organization

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is it possible to create a start menu jumplist out of a folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to create a start menu jumplist out of a folder?: Title. I've tried some thridparty apps like "Jumplist Launcher" and "Jumplist Editor", but they cannot craete a jumplist from a folder- only from a specific program or on the taskbar but not the start menu. submitted by /u/camk16 [link] [comments]...
  6. Organizing Programs in the Start Menu

Organizing Programs in the Start Menu: I have installed a number of online games which now appear separately in the programs list in the start menu as well as tiles. I've consolidated the tiles into a single games folder. How do I do the same thing with the programs in the programs list?...
  7. Create folders in the start menu?

Create folders in the start menu?: I have tried creating a folder in every known location to get an additional folder to show up in the start menu so I can throw some games and what not under it...does anyone have any idea how to do this? I've tried creating a folder named "Games" in the following:...
  8. Create a "Start Menu"...

Create a "Start Menu"...: Here's a way to create a pretty convincing looking Menu using your Taskbar. Try it out yourself. (click on the image 2 or 3 times if you find it hard to read) [img] EDIT: You'll have to loose the Search Box and Taskview as well. 42173
  9. how to create sub-folders in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    how to create sub-folders in the start menu: I would like to organize my All Apps portion of the start menu in W10 as I did in W7. So far I have not figured out how to do this. There are a couple of problems. 1. Some programs just do not appear. I have one folder containing 3 shtcts. 2 appear and Uninstall does not. I...
  10. Organizing Start Menu items

in Windows 10 Support
    Organizing Start Menu items: Hi. New to this forum, I was a previous member of the Seven Forums for years. I have just installed 10 and like what I see so far. Does anyone know how to: - Organize your Start Menu (i.e. delete folders and create your own folders). I am unable to right click to get...