Windows 10: Create image with USB

Discus and support Create image with USB in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have an HP laptop with 6 gig of RAM and 1 gig hard drive. I use an external hard drive to create an image which uses about 58 gig of space. I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Frank1, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Frank1 Win User

Create image with USB

I have an HP laptop with 6 gig of RAM and 1 gig hard drive. I use an external hard drive to create an image which uses about 58 gig of space. I would like to use a USB instead of the hard drive. Can I get a USB big enough to make an image and if so, about how much would it cost. Thank you. -Frank

:)

Frank1, Dec 12, 2016

2. Create system image to a network usb drive requests username and password

To find out exactly how this works I connected a NAS device to my network and launched an image backup. As you reported, it prompted me for the following details:

- Name of share

- Account name

- Password

The share looks like so on the NAS management console:

Create image with USB [​IMG]

When Windows prompted me for the account details I gave it the name & password I use when opening the NAS managment console. When you log on to your NAS management console then you must supply an account & password too. Use it when Windows asks for it while
    creating the backup image.

Frederik Long, Dec 12, 2016
  3. MikeTinVA Win User
    Create system image to a network usb drive requests username and password

I am running Windows 10 (upgraded from Win 7). I am attempting to create a system image on my network drive which is attached to my router via a USB connection. This network drive works well otherwise: I can read and write to it. However, when I use
    File History to commence the Create a System Image process, I get asked for a username and a password for this drive. Not sure what this is. I tried using the username and password for my wifi signal. I tried using the username and password for my router.
    Both allow the System Image creation to begin, but ends in an error: 0x807800C5 and 0x800703E3.

Create image with USB [​IMG]

I am not sure if these errors have to do with the username/password issue, or if it is something different.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

thx,

MikeTinVA, Dec 12, 2016
  4. NocFA Win User

Create image with USB

@Frank1 Of course, you'll be looking to buy a 64gb stick I assume? They'll set you back about 15 pounds ($20) I'd recommend a SanDisk SDCZ50 B35 64 GB Cruzer as they're reliable and cheap you can also purchase them from Amazon Also, how do you only have 1gig of internal memory? I've never seen a laptop with 6gigs of ram and 1gig of memory.

NocFA, Dec 12, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    External usb flash drives are not as reliable as external usb drives. You are putting all your eggs in one basket.

cereberus, Dec 12, 2016
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

It's probably a typo. Most of these HP Pavillon laptops are outfitted with 500Gb drive or bigger.

Having only the external drive would also be just one basket. Note that 1Gb amounts to a very small egg these days. *Tongue

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 13, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    But at least it would be a much more reliable basket for storage of eggs than a USB flash drive would be.

NavyLCDR, Dec 13, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

Create image with USB

Hi,

Possibly, yes.
    Never had any problem with flash drives failing on me. Some I have are over 10 years old and they're still fine.
    Not favouring flash drive over external hard drives really bit that 1Gb drive is errr...funny.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 13, 2016
  9. Frank1 Win User
    I might have made a typo on this. I'll double check it re-post tomorrow.

Frank1, Dec 13, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm thinking 1 TB. Although I did find an IDE hard drive in the basement that was 850 MB - from about 1990.

NavyLCDR, Dec 13, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    Re. Backups. Point is you should have two independent backups. For really critical stuff even cloud backup (critical files only).

Flash drives and SD cards are less reliable. Using one flash drive only is Russian Roulette.

cereberus, Dec 13, 2016
  12. ME2
    Me2 Win User
    I second cereberus's warnings.

About price: I think 64GB flash drives are around 15$-30$ on Amazon. The 64GB version of the Sandisk Extreme is AFAIK quite a bit faster than some other ones, but if you're only going to use this once in a long time - this might not be that important.

Thema:

Create image with USB

1. Create image with USB - Similar Threads - Create image USB

2. Create custom Windows 10 bootable USB image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create custom Windows 10 bootable USB image: Hi,I have been trying to create a custom Windows 10 bootable image USB stick.I have downloaded Windows 10 20H2 and I have our own personalised image file as a ".wim" file. This has our own settings and software installed. It is 13.2Gb in size.Please could you advise on the...
  3. Creating System Image But USB Doesnt Show

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating System Image But USB Doesnt Show: please help i try to use this guide https://www.windowscentral.com/how-make-full-backup-windows-10 but when i go to select usb to download the windows back up to it does not show anything even after formatting the USB to NTFS and it is plenty large eneough submitted by...
  4. Creating a system image

Creating a system image: Hi, I wanted to create a system image . I have some screen shots for the issue.Note that this has not been an issue before 2004 version. As you can see in the screen shots "Back up and Restore" includes D: in system but in the computer management it is not a...
  5. Create System Image to USB

Create System Image to USB: Just got a new Dell PC with Windows 10 and I want ti create a disk image in case I need to restore my system to factory settings but do not see how I can do that to a USB drive and would appreciate your help....
  6. Creating a system back up ISO image to USB

Creating a system back up ISO image to USB: I've just done a fresh W10 install. I'd like to create an ISO that I can use rufus (or similar/better?) to create a bootable image from USB that I can install Windows that includes all of my essential drivers and programs already installed. Is this possible? What's the best...
  7. windows 10 create system image using usb stick

windows 10 create system image using usb stick: Hello, I'm unable to create a System Image to a USB stick (as a network location). I've set this up using instructions I found here (formatting USB stick to NTFS, changing permissions etc) and the backup wizard finds the path for the drive successfully. However when I...
  8. Create a system image not working for USB drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create a system image not working for USB drive: I recently installed W10 on a new HDD, and also got a new USB flash drive for back up purposes. Both drives are 128GB in size, and the HDD has 37GB of its space used up for the W10 OS, and a few other bits and pieces. The USB drive is empty, and has been formatted for NTFS....
  9. creating usb pen for dism apply-image

creating usb pen for dism apply-image: I have managed to create a USB pen drive to apply WIM images using the DISM Apply-image command in 64bit so I know it can be done but any ideas how to create a pen to apply 32bit WIM images 24718
  10. creating an image

creating an image: guys, am lost. Havent imaged in a few years and need to start imaging this wednesday eight workgroup computers for a non-profit organization. I created a w10 reference pc in vmware workstation but there i am stuck. Seems syspre and dism dont work anymore in w10? Hope someone...