Windows 10: Create New Folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Create New Folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create New Folder in Windows 10 How to Create a New Folder in Windows 10 A folder is a location where you can store your files. You can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 6, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Create New Folder in Windows 10

How to: Create New Folder in Windows 10

How to Create a New Folder in Windows 10

A folder is a location where you can store your files. You can create any number of folders and even store folders inside other folders (subfolders).

This tutorial will show you different ways to create a new folder in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] Create New Folder using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. Go to where you want to create a new folder on your Desktop or in File Explorer (Win+E). (see screenshot below)

2. Press the Ctrl+Shift+N keys.

3. Type a name you want for the "New Folder", and press Enter or click/tap somewhere else to apply.

Create New Folder in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Delete Folder from File Explorer Ribbon
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Click/tap on Home tab. (see screenshot below)

3. Navigate to where you want to create a new folder at.

4. Perform the action you want to do below:
    A) Click/tap on the New folder button in the "New" section of the ribbon. (see screenshot below)

OR

B) Click/tap on the New Itemr button in the "New" section of the ribbon, and click/tap on Folder. (see screenshot below)

5. Type a name you want for the "New Folder", and press Enter or click/tap somewhere else to apply. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Create New Folder from Context Menu
    1. Go to where you want to create a new folder on your Desktop or in File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Right click or press and hold on an empty area of your desktop or folder window, click/tap on New, and click/tap on Folder. (see screenshot below)

3. Type a name you want for the "New Folder", and press Enter or click/tap somewhere else to apply. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] Create New Folder in PowerShell
    *note For more New-Item command usage details, see: New-Item | Microsoft Docs
    1. Open elevated PowerShell depending on the required rights to create a new folder where you want.

2. Type the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow New-Item -Path "Full path of New Folder" -ItemType "directory" -Force

*note Substitute Full path of New Folder in the command above with the actual full path of where you want to create a new folder at along with the name you want for the "New Folder" at the end.

For example: New-Item -Path "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\New Folder" -ItemType "directory" -Force

3. When finished, you can close the Powershell window if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] Create New Folder in Command Prompt
    *note For more md command usage details, see: md | Microsoft Docs
    1. Open a elevated command prompt depending on the required rights to create a new folder where you want.

2. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow md "Full path of New Folder"

*note Substitute Full path of New Folder in the command above with the actual full path of where you want to create a new folder at along with the name you want for the "New Folder" at the end.

For example: md "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\New Folder"

3. When finished, you can close the command prompt window if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 6, 2018

2. creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Create New Folder in Windows 10

I cant create a new folder in windows 10

Hi,

As the scans were not able to find any corrupted system files, we recommend that you try creating a new folder through
    File Explorer. To do this, kindly follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key and type "file explorer" to open File Explorer.
    • Click Desktop.
    • Under the Home tab, select the New folder option.
    • Create a name for your folder.

Let us know if you were able to create a new folder by following the steps provided.

Dennis Mop, Oct 27, 2019
  5. gudiya#1 Win User
    creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Thanks, the step you mentioned

Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.
    • Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

It's working for me. But my new folder option is not working anywhere not in desktop as well as not in file explorer. Whenever I am placing my cursor on new folder option, its first spinning for few seconds then goes to close the file
    explorer and refresh the desktop once.

gudiya#1, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Can't create new folder

In this case, we suggest creating a new user account on your computer to see if the same issue will occur while on a different profile. This is to prove if your current user account has corruption. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings > Accounts > Family & other people> Add
      someone else to this PC

• Type a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next.

You can also try booting your computer in
    Safe Mode
    . This is to start Windows with its basic functionalities. While in Safe Mode, try making change to that folder.

Once done with the steps, let us know how it goes so we can further assist you.

Jefferson Ore, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Create New Folder in Windows 10

1. Create New Folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Folder

2. Using the DISM tool to create a custom install disk without the $Windows.~LS folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using the DISM tool to create a custom install disk without the $Windows.~LS folder: HI I am creating a custom image Windows installation bootable USB which works well. My issue is that after installation a folder with all the .svm files called $Windows.~LS is created and this consumes alot of space almost 27Gb's. I am a bit hard pressed for space.Is there...
  3. Using the DISM tool to create a custom install disk without the $Windows.~LS folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using the DISM tool to create a custom install disk without the $Windows.~LS folder: HI I am creating a custom image Windows installation bootable USB which works well. My issue is that after installation a folder with all the .svm files called $Windows.~LS is created and this consumes alot of space almost 27Gb's. I am a bit hard pressed for space.Is there...
  4. Using the DISM tool to create a custom install disk without the $Windows.~LS folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Trying to edit permission for a folder, however some have created Administrator access on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to edit permission for a folder, however some have created Administrator access on...: I am trying to save a file into my computer but it seems that someone created Administrator account on my laptop without me knowing and I am unable to change folder permission...
  6. Trying to edit permission for a folder, however some have created Administrator access on...

Trying to edit permission for a folder, however some have created Administrator access on...: I am trying to save a file into my computer but it seems that someone created Administrator account on my laptop without me knowing and I am unable to change folder permission...
  7. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  8. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  9. Hello, when I try to create a new folder in my D drive or try to paste any item into D...

Hello, when I try to create a new folder in my D drive or try to paste any item into D...: Hello, when I try to create a new folder in my D drive or try to paste any item into D drive it shows " Item not found". I can delete items from D drive but not paste or create a new folder. My C drive is working fine. I can copy and paste into any external device. please...
  10. Hello, when I try to create a new folder in my D drive or try to paste any item into D...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hello, when I try to create a new folder in my D drive or try to paste any item into D...: Hello, when I try to create a new folder in my D drive or try to paste any item into D drive it shows " Item not found". I can delete items from D drive but not paste or create a new folder. My C drive is working fine. I can copy and paste into any external device. please...