Windows 10: Create "New Folder" opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas?

Discus and support Create "New Folder" opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Folks, After a recent fresh install of Win 10 I have had this issue and a few more: i) When I try to create "New Folder" it opens "New Shortcut"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Druccy, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Druccy Win User

Create "New Folder" opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas?

Hi Folks,

After a recent fresh install of Win 10 I have had this issue and a few more:
    i) When I try to create "New Folder" it opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas? as in pic below.
    ii) I cannot create new installed Desktop "Short Cuts" - I have taken ownership / set security under options - advanced with no luck.
    iii) I cannot open images that I create or have downloaded either - error: remote procedure call failed ?

Thank you in advance

:)

Druccy, Jan 18, 2018
  2. grschinon Win User

Enter on keypad " no. + # "

petrib is correct. It is a shortcut to SIM numbers.

Numbers on your SIM might not be in the position you think. Just because they appear sorted in alphabetical order in the contacts list doesn't mean that they appear in that same order on the SIM. On the SIM they appear in the order in which you input them,
    unless you delete a number in which case the next one entered takes its place.

grschinon, Jan 18, 2018
  3. hahakak Win User
    Enter on keypad " no. + # "

Hello guys :smileyhappy:

There's something make me crazy :s
    When I click a certain number on keypad on any NOKIA mobile
    Then click the symbol " # ", then a number of
    a contact "in my contact list" will be appeared.
    Is there anyone know how is that???
    I feel curious toward this puzzle :smileyvery-happy:
    OK., if anyone know about this topic, please tell me :smileysad:
    Anyway thanks :smileywink:

hahakak, Jan 18, 2018
  4. Try3 Win User

Druccy,

I suggest

1 [this is a longshot] go to the manufacturer's support site and [re]install the latest display driver
    then, if necessary,
    2 run SFC /scannow in an elevated cmd window
    then, if necessary,
    3 run a repair install using your installation disk or ISO file

There are TenForums tutorials for SFC and for repair installs.

Denis

5. Druccy Win User
    Thanks for reply.
    i) did a reinstall of drivers. All upto date.
    ii) Ran sfc and Win troubleshooting also tried the reg edit but still no change.
    iii) Will try win install repair. Wish I could delete reg and reinstall that lol.

Thank you. Will follow up once done.

Druccy, Jan 18, 2018
  6. Edwin New Member
    @Druccy

This is a long shot; a really long shot, but,
    are you maybe using a custom cursor where the 'hotspot' is not at the tip?

Edwin, Jan 18, 2018
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 18, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

This sounds a strange mix of symptoms after a fresh install.

When you do a fresh install, you get a new set of drivers. Some people have problems with using a particular latest version driver. That said, it's hard to think how one driver could lead to those particular problems.

Random problems could occur if you have a defective disk.
    Try Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI.

Finally, can you confirm how you did your clean install? Did you boot your PC from an Win 10 installation medium and delete existing Windows partitions?

dalchina, Jan 18, 2018
  9. Druccy Win User
    @Edwin - no funny cursors here lol
    @dalchina - did a motherboard (Secure Erase) wipe of SSD and did install via USB & SSDs & HDD all in good shape as most are new (2months old)
    @Brink - will give this a go now as Im home now.

Thanks for the input folks *Smile

Druccy, Jan 18, 2018
  10. Druccy Win User
    @Brink - your a genius *Smile lol
    New Folder Context got it working - gonna do a restart and see if it sticks *Smile

Can of Monster for you *Smile

Druccy, Jan 18, 2018
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. I'm glad it could help. *Party

Brink, Jan 18, 2018
  12. Druccy Win User
    All fixed on that note. Still having issues with *.jpg : The remote procedure call failed.
    tried the uninstall of apps and reinstall windows apps no go there - the app Photos opens the closes with this error in a windows.
    Photos / Paint 3D does not open images just error - paint does open them and so does my browsers. ?????
    any ideas on this as we are on a roll *Smile

Druccy, Jan 18, 2018
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Please go ahead and create a new thread for the other issue to see what we can do to help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Create "New Folder" opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas? - Similar Threads - Create Folder opens

2. Windows11 New Folder is creating a shortcut instead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows11 New Folder is creating a shortcut instead: Hi,I have Windows11 Home Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000 .When I try to create a new folder on a path that I have full permissions for , it is trying to create a shortcut instead :How can I fix this ? Many thanks in advance...
  3. Can not create a new folder on the desktop and in file explorer in any folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can not create a new folder on the desktop and in file explorer in any folder.: Have tried all previous suggestionssfc /scannow, DISM, reset file explorerexplorer.exe, perform clean boot and perform repair upgrade and others. Nothing has fixed/solved this problem. Don't know when this started, I usually don't create new folders that often. Please help....
  4. Cannot send Shortcut to Desktop and cannot create New Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot send Shortcut to Desktop and cannot create New Folders: Hi, I'm using Win 10 Home and have reached the point where I cannot send a shortcut to the Desktop and cannot create new folders. I have checked the system files and found no problems. I'm afraid I'm going to do a reinstall of Windows which scares me. Ztruker asked: You asked...
  5. cannot send shortcut to Desktop and cannot create new folders

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot send shortcut to Desktop and cannot create new folders: Hi all, Appreciate all the welcome posts. I'm using Win 10 Home and have reached the point where I cannot send a shortcut to the Desktop and cannot create new folders. I have checked the system files and found no problems. I'm afraid I'm going to do a reinstall of Windows...
  6. How to disable creating new desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable creating new desktop shortcut: Hello If you(I believe) Ctrl + Windows key + D a new desktop will be created This feature while useless in my case also killed me quite a few times while playing Is there any way to disable this, again, in my case, worthless feature? submitted by /u/BorsukBartek [link]...
  7. How to disable creating new desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable creating new desktop shortcut: Hello If you(I believe) Ctrl + Windows key + D a new desktop will be created This feature while useless in my case also killed me quite a few times while playing Is there any way to disable this, again, in my case, worthless feature? submitted by /u/BorsukBartek [link]...
  8. Creating a 'new folder' on the desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating a 'new folder' on the desktop: On both windows 10 computers, when I right click the desktop, to try and create a 'new folder', the computer does not recognize the desktop and can not create a new folder....
  9. Is there a way to remove the create new desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to remove the create new desktop shortcut: Hi, When gaming i sometimes fat finger and press ctrl + win + d at the same time and it creates a new desktop is there anyway to change / remove this shortcut thanks...
  10. Unable to create shortcuts or new folders on Desktop, (system freezes)

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to create shortcuts or new folders on Desktop, (system freezes): When I right click on the desktop the menu pops up. But when I click on a choice NEW> the PC freezes for about 10 seconds then the screen goes blue. After about 5 seconds my icons pop up on a white screen then the wallpaper slowly fades back in. Then one by one the icons on...