Windows 10: "Create Shortcut"s target path points to wrong Program Files folder.

Discus and support "Create Shortcut"s target path points to wrong Program Files folder. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I create a shortcut to file in Program Files, the target path for that shortcut will be to Program Files (x86), even though the start in path will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ComponentActual, Oct 8, 2015.

1. "Create Shortcut"s target path points to wrong Program Files folder.

When I create a shortcut to file in Program Files, the target path for that shortcut will be to Program Files (x86), even though the start in path will be correct. Furthermore, even though the target path is incorrect and no icon is displayed for the shortcut, the shortcut still works.

Shortcuts to items placed in the Program Files folder by an installer do not have this problem. It is only for files that are manually placed in the Programs Files folder by me the user, i.e. copy and pasted there.

What is happening and how do I fix it?

:)

ComponentActual, Oct 8, 2015

2. pin facebook icon to the taskbar----window 10

Just to COMPLEX for older people!!!!!

Gerald MTenglund, Oct 8, 2015
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer doesn't highlight selected file(s) or folder(s)

Have also had same problem, but noticed something extremely odd and reproducible. (None of the prior suggestions have solved the bug)

If I launch windows explorer from the icon on my taskbar, the files and folders properly highlight and the checkboxes appear when they are supposed to.

If I launch windows explorer from either the start/programs menu or from any shortcuts to folders created on the desktop then the problem is present all the time.

Then I started looking deeper to see if there was a fundamental difference in the shortcuts...

THERE WAS!!! The Eureka moment. Fixed the problem but have no idea why this should matter.

Look at the properties of the shortcut:

If the target was just a folder like C:\Program Files for example. The problem is present.

Change the target to: C:\Windows\explorer.exe C:\Program Files

Then the problem goes away and the folder behaves normally, including browsing around anywhere in that opened session.

OK Microsoft, why should this matter??? Note this behavior did not happen when I first upgraded to Windows 10 (From windows 8.1) it was after a few updates had occurred. (Don't know which ones or exactly when.)

you are absolutely correct, I had the same issue and when I created a short cut with your suggested target (Change the target to: C:\Windows\explorer.exe C:\Program Files) is worked fine, amazing, thanks

Hossam Nabil (hmohamed), Oct 8, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

"Create Shortcut"s target path points to wrong Program Files folder.

Can you post some screen captures of what you are seeing?

Ztruker, Oct 9, 2015
  5. Edit: Before you read further the problem seems inconsistent, or possibly no longer present. I discovered this while making the post below. Ill report back if it starts happening again.

Here is an shortcut to a small batch file I created for my mouse and keyboard software for whenever it gets hung up to close the program and reopen it. It's a file I created and placed in the "C:\Program files\Logitech Gaming Software" folder manually then used the context menu create shortcut, to create a shortcut on the desktop to the .bat file. As you can see from the properties box the target path is pointing to the wrong programs file folder.

"Create Shortcut"s target path points to wrong Program Files folder. [​IMG]

Hmm, well apparently I was wrong about my earlier assessment. It seems shortcuts to all new shortcuts created for files located in C:\Program Files\ point to C:\Program Files (x86)\, not just files manually placed there, but also files placed there by installers. I just created a shortcut to Lcore.exe the main executable for the mouse and keyboard software, and to SWGVC.exe, the main executable for my VPN software, and both point to C:\Program Files (x86)\ instead of C:\Program Files\.

"Create Shortcut"s target path points to wrong Program Files folder. [​IMG]

Lol, sorry I am discovering more wackiness as I create this post. I just went to take a screen capture of the Lcore.exe shortcut's properties box, and discovered that now it is pointing to the right the Program Files folder, and so went back and checked the SWGVC.exe shortcut and sure enough it too is now pointing to the right Program Files folder.

And now I just created a new shortcut to the .bat file and it is pointing to the right folder. So, either the problem is inconsistent or I don't know it fixed itself I suppose. Sorry for wasting your time, I will report back in 24 hours with its continued behavior.

ComponentActual, Oct 9, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    I see the Start In as C:\Program Files (X86) but Target is C:\Program Files.

Target is where the executable resides, Start in is the default directory when the program runs.

No idea why they are different.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

"Create Shortcut"s target path points to wrong Program Files folder.

1. "Create Shortcut"s target path points to wrong Program Files folder. - Similar Threads - Create Shortcuts target

2. Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid": I need to copy a new shortcut to Users PC. I am trying to create the shortcut on my PC but I do not have the program installed. "Office 2016 Standard x86" . I have O365 installed.Windows will not let me create a shortcut to a path that does not exist.yes i could create on...
  3. Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid": I need to copy a new shortcut to Users PC. I am trying to create the shortcut on my PC but I do not have the program installed. "Office 2016 Standard x86" . I have O365 installed.Windows will not let me create a shortcut to a path that does not exist.yes i could create on...
  4. Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows 7 to Windows 10 - shortcut target paths changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 7 to Windows 10 - shortcut target paths changed: I've transferred my "C:\Users\USER\Documents" folder from a Windows 7 PC to the exact same path on a Windows 10 PC. These files include shortcuts to other files or folders that are also within that "C:\Users\USER\Documents" folder. The problem is that on the new PC the...
  6. Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut: Short version of my question: I'd like to change a keyboard shortcut that starts an app, but I've forgotten the location of the shortcut file that is targeted by the relevant keystrokes. How can I change the keyboard shortcut? Longer version of my question: I originally set...
  7. Create Offline Files Folder Shortcut in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Offline Files Folder Shortcut in Windows: How to: Create Offline Files Folder Shortcut in Windows How to Create Offline Files Folder Shortcut in Windows Offline Files is a feature of Sync Center that makes network files available to a user, even if the network connection to the server is unavailable. Users...
  8. want to create a shortcut for ' create restore point'

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    want to create a shortcut for ' create restore point': want to create a shortcut for ' create restore point'. managed to find the ' use a restore point file' but this only allows restoration from a restore point not. relation of one. i know there a few ways to do this, but want to put a link on my start menu. cant be...
  9. Pin to Quick Access creates shortcut with wrong path

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin to Quick Access creates shortcut with wrong path: Any time I pin a User Folder to Quick Access (Documents, Downloads, etc.) the path Quick Access takes me to is This PC\[Folder] instead of C:\Users\[Profile]\[Folder] I find it a pain causing I am constantly using the Foward, Back, and Up buttons in Explorer. This tends to...
  10. "cannot create file" in programs folder

in Windows 10 Support
    "cannot create file" in programs folder: I'm new to Windows 10 and I'm installing some of my software. I came across this error today running Audio Identifier: The Application encountered an error! (cannot create file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Audio Identifier\settings.xml". Access is denied. I'm guessing it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. creating shortcut target in program files

2. set a shortcuts temp folder

3. target path file shortcut restoration

4. windows 10 change target path of shortcut,
  5. how to point a shortcut at a file path,
  6. auto update target path of multiple shortcut files in windows