Windows 10: Create W10 VM of your RUNNING machine (VMWARE)

Discus and support Create W10 VM of your RUNNING machine (VMWARE) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there An easy way of creating a W10 VM (or any other OS) of your RUNNING machine is simply to start up the VMWARE CONVERTER. You need to be in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Mar 3, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Create W10 VM of your RUNNING machine (VMWARE)

Hi there

An easy way of creating a W10 VM (or any other OS) of your RUNNING machine is simply to start up the VMWARE CONVERTER. You need to be in administrator mode.

Configure the target machine, - unclick DATA drives if you just want to start with creating the system. Remove the extra NIC's it generates and in about 30 mins you've got a VM with all your installed programs etc.

It's possible it might not boot my W10 build 9926) didn't boot first time so what I did was to set the W10 ISO I'd downloaded as a CD iISO image in the VMware config remembering to set it to connect at power on !!! and then BOOT to BIOS or FIRMWARE in the VM. Then simply do REPAR SYSTEM -then it all booted just fine.

Saves creating and installing everything again.

VMware converter -- for P2V (Physical to Virtual) FREE

VMware vCenter Converter transforms your Windows- and Linux-based physical machines and third-party image formats to VMware virtual machines.

Note - this also works for W7 / W8.1 etc -- so you could create a VM of your older OS'es -- see if everything still runs OK on them - then install W10 with your old OS'es as VM's. As always though BACKUP your ORIGINAL OS if installing a new one.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 3, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

How Can I use Windows 10 to Run a program written for Windows 98?

Sure, no problem and it's free: Run your program in a Windows 98 virtual machine.

Setting up a virtual machine with VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation player is easy - there are many tutorials on the web. Install Windows 98 in the VM and then install your program.

You can also create a VM with Microsoft's own Hyper-V but the process is more tricky to understand.

BulldogXX, Mar 3, 2015
  3. SJDM Win User
    How to display different virtual desktops on different monitors

I would suggest the most useful get-around is to run VMware virtual machine and use the power of a wider desktop to run the VMware (or HyperV etc) on the 2nd monitor. You can then run the VMware software in 'unity mode' which allows you to work directly
    in the application window (the one inside the VM); this is better than having to Alt + Tab to the VM environment guest and select the app window you want inside that. It's great, and Windows / VMware is a good solution. (I don't know HyperV which I believe
    has similar functionality). Just make sure you have plenty of memory, as a 64 bit VMware guest VM OS will use similar RAM as a your 'host' machine.

SJDM, Mar 3, 2015
Thema:

Create W10 VM of your RUNNING machine (VMWARE)

1. Create W10 VM of your RUNNING machine (VMWARE) - Similar Threads - Create W10 RUNNING

2. Esxi - Linux VM itself running VMWare Workstation

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Esxi - Linux VM itself running VMWare Workstation: Hi there @johnnyZ Here's a screenshot of an Arch Linux system running as a VM on ESXI 5.7 (Esxi is the HOST OS) with the arch linux kernel at 5.3.11 and this VM running VMWare workstation -- so in theory your VM's could easily use any VMWare VM images from USB devices while...
  3. VMWARE create EFI Virtual machine (solved)

VMWARE create EFI Virtual machine (solved): Hi guys if using VMWARE and you want to create a EFI VM just create the VM normally -- use "Other OS" and I will install the OS later. (This is if in the advanced features the UEFI option is greyed out --in VMWare Workststion. In player you'll have to add the line in any...
  4. Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors

Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors: Hi Virtual Machine user Geeks !!! You can convert Windows VMWare VM's to run on KVM or XEN --- these are 2 of the Linux HYPERVISORS equivalent to HYPER-V on Windows. For XEN (although KVM these days is the preferred method) : If you are using a Linux Host and have Windows...
  5. Can we run Windows 10 on a VMWare VM?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can we run Windows 10 on a VMWare VM?: my company would like to use Windows on a VMWare Vm. The host is a VMWAre server and we don't care which Windows version we use except that the VM will be configured with 2 CPU and 1 TB of disk and single user. I hear tell that Windows 10 USB would work but has anyone...
  6. Create VM from physical machine

Create VM from physical machine: My machine has a non-clean install of win 10, which I have been using for months. I would like to do a clean install of windows 10, but I don't want to be down for days getting everything setup. So I figured I would run it in a VM on the newly installed OS while I set things...
  7. Free Conversion tool from RUNNING machine to vmware VM

Free Conversion tool from RUNNING machine to vmware VM: Hi there Just in case some people might want to create VM's from their physical running machines this FREE tool from the main VMware Enterprise stuff can be used on Stand alone machines. Works fine as well --I've used it to create several VM's from running physical...
  8. Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts

Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts: Hi there This seems to work fine for Windows 10 VM's on some Linux Hosts. 1) Uninstall VMware tools on the VM - shut down but don't re-power on 2) uninstall open-vm-tools on your HOST machine - typically as root or sudo yum autoremove open-vm-tools or whatever it is in...
  9. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE: Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards. Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual...
  10. Vmware on HOST W10 Machine Networks don't work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Vmware on HOST W10 Machine Networks don't work: Hi there trying various VM's on a HOST W10 under VMWARE WORKSTATION 10 -- (XP / W7 / W8.1 / W10 / Linux ) -- all these fail to start network either in BRIDGED or NAT mode. If the HOST is now a W8.1 system connections all work for these machines Still looks like...