Windows 10: Created MS account, joined to domain, cannot sign on as MS account

Discus and support Created MS account, joined to domain, cannot sign on as MS account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I just got a Surface Pro 4. I signed into it with my Microsoft account, and later joined it to my work domain. I wanted to use Cortana with Office, so... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by MohnJadden, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Created MS account, joined to domain, cannot sign on as MS account

I just got a Surface Pro 4. I signed into it with my Microsoft account, and later joined it to my work domain. I wanted to use Cortana with Office, so I tried starting it up. It prompted for a Microsoft account, I entered my existing one, and it says "another user on this device uses this Microsoft account, so you can't add it here."

I was able to delete the local account signed in as my Microsoft account via Accounts, but I still got that error trying to join the domain.

I rebooted, the error persisted.

I ran netplwiz and deleted the local account there as well - the same issue recurred.

I rebooted again after the netplwiz delete - the same issue recurred.

Anything else I need to do in order to sync Cortana to my MS account while joined to the domain?

:)

MohnJadden, Nov 1, 2015
  2. Rizzoface Win User

Windows 10 - Cant add any local or MS Account users

hi

I cannot add any local or MS accounts to my Windows 10 machine.

This machine is domain joined. I wanted to add my personal MS account as "other user" in settings but when i click it nothing happens. No error, no pop up..nothing.

Ive the GPO on the domain to see if MS accounts were being blocked in the Computer Policy but they are not.

Anyone else have this issue..So frustrating.

Rizzoface, Nov 1, 2015
  3. ZanderB Win User
    Windows 10 1709 domain profile asking for account at MS Store

We are moving to Windows 10 1709 here, just creating the image for deployment. Everything is working well save for one item: if I log in to any Win10 domain-joined laptop as a domain user, I cannot download anything from the MS Store (in this case, just
    trying to pull down a free theme): a window pops up after clicking the GET button asking for my Windows account.

How do I utilize the MS Store with a domain account or, better, no account at all? And note we do not use Azure and will not be in future.

Thanks!

Alexander Bryant

ZanderB, Nov 1, 2015
  4. Created MS account, joined to domain, cannot sign on as MS account

See if removing trusted devices helps: Trusted devices: FAQ - Microsoft Help

I think there is somewhere where you can remove individual devices associated with your MS account, so see if you can find it via the link I gave you.

And I do believe you are supposed to join the MS account to the local account after it has been added to the domain, not the other way around. That is because the local account becomes a MS account, but if you are on a domain, the local account becomes a domain account, and you just connect the MS account to it, it doesn't actually become a MS account while connected to the domain.

Cheers

DustSailor, Nov 1, 2015
  5. Actually, in the end I just searched in regedit for the email I used for my Microsoft account, exported the key, and deleted it. I was then able to add it back. The key in question was HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities\email@domain.com. Deleting the L: email@domain.com key did the trick.

MohnJadden, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Created MS account, joined to domain, cannot sign on as MS account

1. Created MS account, joined to domain, cannot sign on as MS account - Similar Threads - Created account joined

2. Laptop domain-joined to InTune but cannot use domain accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop domain-joined to InTune but cannot use domain accounts: A laptop recently came to me that had been wiped by a 3rd party repair service. This has reset it from Edu Pro to Home version.I've reimaged it using an Edu Pro ISO from a USB, but I've had to create a temporary personal account to sign in to do so. I'm autopiloting it...
  3. Laptop domain-joined to InTune but cannot use domain accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Laptop domain-joined to InTune but cannot use domain accounts: A laptop recently came to me that had been wiped by a 3rd party repair service. This has reset it from Edu Pro to Home version.I've reimaged it using an Edu Pro ISO from a USB, but I've had to create a temporary personal account to sign in to do so. I'm autopiloting it...
  4. Laptop domain-joined to InTune but cannot use domain accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't sign in to ms account

Can't sign in to ms account: Some hours ago I just installed windows 22h2, and after that, this been happening. This was happening in the older version 21h2 as well. I had to always reset the PC, which is bad for the health of my SSD. I'm, tired and frustrated from this buggy windows, please somebody...
  6. Can't sign in to ms account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't sign in to ms account: Some hours ago I just installed windows 22h2, and after that, this been happening. This was happening in the older version 21h2 as well. I had to always reset the PC, which is bad for the health of my SSD. I'm, tired and frustrated from this buggy windows, please somebody...
  7. Can't sign in to ms account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Login account information in between Local, MS account and domain

Login account information in between Local, MS account and domain: Hi there,I have a windows 10 computer and the initial account is a local account.I signed in with my personal Microsoft accountshows in Settings->accounts and the computer account joined my company domain.Currently, my login is still the local profile and local password...
  9. Unable to create a MS account on Win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to create a MS account on Win10: I'm hoping someone can help, all my email addresses are on O365 which is preventing me from creating a MS account. I'm not actually sure why I need one but windows keeps asking (FYI I mostly use LINUX but maintain a Windows install to help me support my Mother and Sister who...
  10. My MS account sign in ended up on a domain

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    My MS account sign in ended up on a domain: I tried adding my old email address in settings & it adds it & I verified it but it says it cannot be made my default account because it's on a domain. I just created this hotmail account on the Internet on my home laptop. It used to be my sign in. How did it end up on a...