Windows 10: Creating a bootable USB when you only have the contents of the ISO

Discus and support Creating a bootable USB when you only have the contents of the ISO in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there It's possible you might have the contents of the ISO but not the actual ISO image itself on HDD. It's still possible to create a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Jul 31, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Creating a bootable USB when you only have the contents of the ISO

Hi there

It's possible you might have the contents of the ISO but not the actual ISO image itself on HDD.

It's still possible to create a bootable USB using purely MANUAL commands

for this example assume Disk nr is 7 and the USB stick is on drive H. The files from the ISO are in say folder WINDVD on drive E

here's what to do.

1) open CMD as administrator
    2) DISKPART
    3) LIST DISK
    4) SELECT DISK 7 (remember our example above)
    5) CLEAN
    6) CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
    7) ACTIVE
    8) FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK
    9) EXIT (don't close the cmd prompt though)

10) CD E:\WINDVD\BOOT (again from example contents of ISO are on drive E)
    11) BOOTSECT /NT60 H:

12) After 11) finishes - takes 1 sec approx. copy the entire contents of directory WINDVD to the USB stick as is - copy contents in same folder layout as on the disk - don't have WINDVD as the high level - copy CONTENTS so ist folder on USB stick will be BOOT.

13) now you've got a bootable USB.

I know things like RUFUS make this automatically but if you've only got the extracted contents and don't want to download the whole iso again this should help.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 31, 2015
  2. neilpzz Win User

How to Reinstall Windows 10 Upgrade?

You can download the ISO image to your PC and then use other tools to create a bootable USB flash drive.

I had to use Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive, then copy the contents of the ISO to the drive. (it needs to be at least 4GB)How to Create a Bootable USB Drive Without Using Any Software

neilpzz, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Back up disk of windows 10

Hi Joe,

You can use the ISO file to create bootable media for installation or recovery. You can also install Windows on your current device by opening the ISO file, selecting the Setup and following the instructions.

To create bootable media such as a bootable USB drive or DVD, you will need an ISO burning or mounting software. We recommend always using a blank USB or blank DVD because contents may be deleted when creating a bootable image.

For more information: Download Windows 10

Get back to us if you have any other queries.

Anish A Kumar, Jul 31, 2015
  4. genet Win User

You don't need this step.

This is a better command:

format fs=fat32 quick

Because then you have a UEFI Boot Mode AND Legacy BIOS Boot Mode compatible Windows 8/10 64-bit USB flash drive.

Quote from this post:

genet, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Creating a bootable USB when you only have the contents of the ISO - Similar Threads - Creating bootable USB

2. How to create a truly bootable USB off of windows ISO?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create a truly bootable USB off of windows ISO?: First of all - how difficult to get support from Microsoft these days - incredible that there is no real time support available, with a phone line that directs to the website that directs here.In any case - I've downloaded the Microsoft Windows 10 ISO, and tried about 10...
  3. Creating a bootable usb from ISO

Creating a bootable usb from ISO: If I create a bootable usb from the ISO file, does that ISO file remain the same in the sense that I can use it to to an In-Place Repair or reinstall Windows?...
  4. Create bootable USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Create bootable USB: Hi community, I'm creating a bootable usb by rufus. It give me 3 options: 1, Create with legacy BIOS or UEFI 2, Create with only UEFI 3, Create with only legacy BIOS Can someone explain to me these 3 options, and your recommendation option ? Thank you, have a good day !...
  5. Create Bootable USB From Win10 Build-1909 ISO

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create Bootable USB From Win10 Build-1909 ISO: Hi guys. Currently on build 2004 but looking to clean install 1909. Unfortunately the Media Creation Tool will only work for the most recent build which is 2004. What's the best way for me to create a bootable USB with 1909 on it? I have the ISO just need to create the USB....
  6. How to Create ISO from Bootable USB in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Create ISO from Bootable USB in Windows 10?: Hey! I have a bootable USB with windows 10 in it. And I want to Convert that USB to ISO file. So that I can backup it for later use and can use that Pendrive for further use. Please Help!...
  7. Creating a Bootable DVD with Linux .ISO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Creating a Bootable DVD with Linux .ISO: I am in need of creating a bootable DVD, whenever I put my DVD on the tray and enter it into the computer, I am greeted with a popup asking me which way I want to use this disc, 'Like a USB flash drive' or 'With a CD/DVD player'. I am trying to dual boot Linux and Windows...
  8. Creating bootable unattended ISO..

Creating bootable unattended ISO..: Hi, Is there a proper way to create an unattended bootable ISO (the methods I have tried thus far do NOT work). I have the following ISO files. 1. Windows 10 1903 ISO directly downloaded from Microsoft. 2. Windows ADK for 1903. I only took the auto answer file part from...
  9. create bootable iso for 1803

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    create bootable iso for 1803: hi joydeep sir what tool i will use to create bootable iso for 1803 as 1809 got totally due to some bugs or isolated reported issue by customers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-bootable-iso-for-1803/57e5925e-8d7a-4f8a-b056-360d3dc43a66
  10. How do I create a bootable USB drive with an ISO?

How do I create a bootable USB drive with an ISO?: Tried looking this up online, but couldn't find any specific information. I'm running on Windows 10 Home, and I have a Windows 10 ISO I want to put in a flash drive so it's bootable. How do I do this? 29400