Windows 10: Creating a desktop shortcut

Discus and support Creating a desktop shortcut in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder,... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by clayto, Mar 21, 2018.

1. clayto Win User

Creating a desktop shortcut

All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder, either an exe or lnk, to the Desktop it does not launch when clicked, or when I click open or run as Admin. Sometimes I cant move it anyway, I get notified that Admin permission is required but cannot find how to grant it. My account is the Administrator account, no one else uses the PC.

The only way to launch Edge is with the Taskbar icon or the Start tile. The source folder has many Edge files with exe or link but none which do anything.

I have created shortcuts with icons for many other apps / programs.

:)

clayto, Mar 21, 2018
  2. 'Mike P Win User

create shortcut on desktop

It's on my win10.

Are you logged on in the guest account maybe ?

Creating a desktop shortcut [​IMG]

'Mike P, Mar 21, 2018
  3. Create shortcut to desktop

It depends on the version of Windows 10. In older versions, you could easily send to desktop, but they have changed it in the latest release. For classic desktop apps, you can go to C:\Program Files and send a desktop shortcut from there.

Andre Da Costa, Mar 21, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

5. Right-click on Edge in your start menu and it should offer a shortcut option.

cyberrufus, Mar 21, 2018
  6. clayto Win User
    1x07 ---- yes,that did open Edge when run, but can I turn it into a Desktop icon?

cyberrufus ---- I am not offered a shortcut for the Desktop icon via Start

I have remembered I can launch Edge via Cortana Search

It is not an important issue, just an anomaly but I find it odd not to have a Desktop icon, I had one before a recent clean re-install

clayto, Mar 21, 2018
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 21, 2018
  8. lx07 Win User

Look at option 2 in the tutorial - right click on desktop, select "new" then "shortcut", paste in the long string as the location and then name it "Edge" (for example). You can change the icon if you want to.

I just tested it and it works fine.

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Creating a desktop shortcut - Similar Threads - Creating desktop shortcut

2. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  3. Create desktop shortcuts in Windows. 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create desktop shortcuts in Windows. 11: I don't seem able to drag and drop app icons and shortcuts on windows 11 desktop.Am I missing something?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-desktop-shortcuts-in-windows-11/72ddd1da-1c1b-4067-87bc-b3cfda092d5c
  4. Create a desktop shortcut in Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create a desktop shortcut in Edge: How can I create a desktop shortcut in Edge? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-a-desktop-shortcut-in-edge/1917c980-a411-4213-96f0-e2d1eef6da9c
  5. how to create shortcut on desktop

how to create shortcut on desktop: I need to create short cuts on my sesk top of URLs and programs frequently used https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-shortcut-on-desktop/7bd2975a-3d10-48f3-94e4-1bc2009430ea
  6. Send to - Desktop (create shortcut)

Send to - Desktop (create shortcut): Basically, i want to remove "send to" from the right click menu and in it's place, just have "Desktop (create shortcut)". So, you right click an icon and can immediately make the shortcut to the desktop without sliding the menu out. i never use any of the other shortcuts and...
  7. create a desktop shortcut for a printer

create a desktop shortcut for a printer: How do I create a desktop shortcut in Windows 10 for a printer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-a-desktop-shortcut-for-a-printer/86732439-44f4-4406-a7c0-de42c5e8a5e4
  8. Create Desktop Shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Create Desktop Shortcut: O.k. I give up...can someone tell me how to create a desktop shortcut ? using Edge browser....also how do you move something from the favourites bar to the desktop?......it must be possible surely ?........Del. 73345
  9. Create Desktop Shortcut for Reliability Monitor?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Create Desktop Shortcut for Reliability Monitor?: Anyone know how to create a shortcut to the Reliability Monitor? 30385
  10. Trouble creating a desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Trouble creating a desktop shortcut: The program WinsSCP comes with 2 executables: WinSCP.exe and WinSCP.com. I am trying to create desktop shortcuts for each. I had no trouble creating one for the .exe file but Windows won't create for the .com file. If I go to its folder, click and drag it to the desktop,...