Windows 10: Creating a DVD To Play On Home DVD Player?

Discus and support Creating a DVD To Play On Home DVD Player? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi computing experts, I've got DVD Flick installed but it's been a long time since I used DVD Flick to create a DVD. Is DVD Flick still the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by NiceAndShy, May 27, 2017.

1. Creating a DVD To Play On Home DVD Player?

Hi computing experts,

I've got DVD Flick installed but it's been a long time since I used DVD Flick to create a DVD.

Is DVD Flick still the easiest way for me to put .MP4 files and .AVI files onto a DVD that'll be playable on a TV?

The last DVD I created using DVD Flick worked, but I just can't recall the settings I used to create the DVD...

Thanks!

:)

NiceAndShy, May 27, 2017
  2. -=DVD=- Win User

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

So, the Fall Creators Update has been released yesterday, but I haven't even been prompted for the Creators Update yet. My pc is not that old, bought it last summer. I have no idea as to why I'm still running version 1607 or wether it's safe for me to upgrade
    to either one of these newer versions. Will it screw up my drivers if I do? I am running Windows 10 Pro btw.

Any input would be appreciated.

-=DVD=-, May 27, 2017
  3. home video to DVD to play on DVD player to TV

free video to DVD, anyone try it? Have any success? So far my personal, edited videos made with movie maker only play on my computer. Not on my DVD to television player. I may go back to Win 7 just for the DVD burning. Unless once you uninstall win
    7 you can never install it w/the same features it had before.

Greedy greedy

elaine22too, May 27, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Creating a DVD To Play On Home DVD Player?

It really depends on tv. Many now can read data files like mp4 from a usb drive.

Convential dvd players need mp4 files to be converted to wav files and burnt accordingly to dvd.

Really need more info on your setup.

cereberus, May 28, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

for creating a physical DVD and playing it on a physical DVD player the DVD also needs to be "Finalized" - the player software for creating the DVD should show that in the menu.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a physical DVD player -- for playing DVD's on a computer my preferred method is

1) Buy an amazon TV firestick.

2) Sideload KODI on to it - you can do this easily via loading to an android phone and then using apps2firetv simply install the KODI program to the amazon fireTV.

3) Keep the DVD as an .ISO on your computer / NAS server.

4) On the remote TV - switch to the HDMI input where you've got the amazon fire TV and select KODI.

5) now you can browse your network and play the content on the TV -- the fire TV stick's handset can navigate through DVD menus etc. KODI will play .ISO files directly as well as every other video / audio codec I've seen - better than VLC for this purpose. You don't need to install ANY media server on the remote computer !!! so it's really easy. Connect the firestick via LAN cable if you have it - otherwise you'll need a reasonable wifi signal for video streaming.

6) Current version of KODI is krypton V17.3.

7) BTW if you like / want subtitles Kodi will grab them from places like subscene.com / opensubtitles.org etc in a large variety of languages - just add the subtitle plugin --really easy and clear from the documentation.

8) You don't need an amazon account to get an amazon firestick / amazon firetv box - and IMO these devices are cheap and well worth the money -- I've ripped all my old DVD's and taken 2 DVD players to the tip --no need for them any more. !!!

9) Please also note : you DO NOT need to install KODI on the computer / NAS server -- the KODI program on your amazon firestick /tvbox will read the media from the remote computer / NAS server --obviously store multi-media though on SHARED DRIVES on the computer / NAS box.

10) If you rip Blu Rays - KODI also handles those too -- but IMO if using BLU RAY it's better to rip to .MKV first - and if you need subtitles use KODI to get them from subsceme.com or opensubtitles.org.

11) Technical note - as KODI runs on Android on the firestick / firetv box which is essentially a Linux platform you should have no problems with long file names and reading files larger than 4.7GB (some blu ray .iso's can be quite large !!). Windows might truncate long file names but KODI will still play those.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 28, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Like the (many) others on this forum, it's been a long time since I've burned a standard video DVD for use in a DVD player. Casting .mp4s to the TV is easy, convenient and provides better video quality with smaller file sizes if you tweak the compression parameters correctly.

However, that doesn't answer the OP's question. There are occasions (and parts of the world) where a Video DVD is still the most appropriate media.

I don't use DVD Flick, so I had to look at its website. It appears to be Open Source and a reasonable product of its time, but development seems to have stopped around 2010. The system requirements say...
    ...and it's unclear if it is compatible with Windows 10 (or even 8).

I use another Open Source DVD authoring tool, DVDStyler which works fine on the latest W10. This is still being supported and developed. It can design menus, convert .mp4, .avi etc. to standard Video DVD format and burn the results to a .iso or direct to a finalised DVD.

Of special note for @NiceAndShy (who I know from past posts is concerned about security and privacy) it is available in Portable App form (which is the one I use).

https://portableapps.com/apps/music_...tyler_portable

7. Your replies are much appreciated!

I need to create a DVD for an elderly person at a nursing home who doesn't know how to use an Amazon Firestick or other new devices so a DVD is what I need to make.

Since I've still got DVDFlick installed, I'll give that a try to create the DVD, but I need to somehow find the settings I used in the past as the DVD I made in the past worked.

NiceAndShy, May 31, 2017
  8. Creating a DVD To Play On Home DVD Player?

Not sure links are allowed. The instructions are very long and include pictures or screenshots.
    <<DVD Flick Tutorial - How to Use DVD Flick to Burn DVD For Free>>
    Note that is a third party site. At the end they suggest you buy their program. I did not post it
    for that.
    Free is generally enough... (I have not used DVD Flick for many years.)

rickg474243452, May 31, 2017
  9. Which are the main settings I need to make sure I've set correctly so that the DVD I create will work on most DVD players?

Thanks!

NiceAndShy, Jun 1, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    To be honest, there's probably little you could do in settings that could make a DVD that can't be played in most players. DVD authoring software like your DVD Flick or my DVDStyler by design burn a DVD that meets the standard Video DVD format. Take the default settings and you can't go far wrong.

What can make a difference is the type of DVD you burn to. In my experience a DVD+R is the most compatible with a wide range of DVD players. I have come across a few players that had problems with reading DVD-R disks. The least compatible seem to be rewritable disks, so don't use DVD+RW or DVD-RW.

11. Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply!

If I used those DVD disks that are "dual layer" and have a capacity for 8.5GB it'd be less compatible than the regular 4.7GB DVD blanks right?

NiceAndShy, Jun 5, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    I can't say as I've never used one for a video DVD.

How many hours of video do you intend to put on this DVD? My DVD authoring software (DVDStyler) will automatically adjust the compression settings to fit the finished DVD onto the available space. Your DVD Flick probably does the same. I find a couple of hours fits on a single layer DVD with no noticeable loss of quality, so a dual layer is probably 'overkill' for your purposes.

I have made single layer DVDs with over four hours of video on them. Even then the compression artefacts are minimal, and probably not going to be noticed by the elderly eyes of you intended viewer.

Thema:

Creating a DVD To Play On Home DVD Player?

1. Creating a DVD To Play On Home DVD Player? - Similar Threads - Creating DVD Play

2. Purchased DVD Player for Windows 10, but it won't play DVD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Purchased DVD Player for Windows 10, but it won't play DVD: Hi, I have just purchased DVD Player for Windows 10, downloaded app onto laptop as trial app said it was compatible, when i insert dvd the app opens and says "loading" but as soon as it's loaded and before it starts to play the app closes, i have tried to reset the app but...
  3. Purchased DVD Player for Windows 10, but it won't play DVD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Purchased DVD Player for Windows 10, but it won't play DVD: Hi, I have just purchased DVD Player for Windows 10, downloaded app onto laptop as trial app said it was compatible, when i insert dvd the app opens and says "loading" but as soon as it's loaded and before it starts to play the app closes, i have tried to reset the app but...
  4. External DVD player not Playing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External DVD player not Playing: I have a fairly new Laptop & have just bought an external DVD Player but I cannot get it to play.I have installed various DVD software including Microsoft Media Player even paying extra but still no joy. See photo of error message from this. It shows that the disc doesn't...
  5. External DVD player not Playing

External DVD player not Playing: I have a fairly new Laptop & have just bought an external DVD Player but I cannot get it to play.I have installed various DVD software including Microsoft Media Player even paying extra but still no joy. See photo of error message from this. It shows that the disc doesn't...
  6. DVD burning - CD/DVD Player option - Not playing as a DVD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DVD burning - CD/DVD Player option - Not playing as a DVD: I've been trying to create a DVD with some mp4 music videos on, so I inserted a blank DVD-R and when I got the "How do you want to use this disc?" prompt, I selected the "With CD/DVD Player" option. I then drag & drop the mp4 files and click on "Finish burning". It burns them...
  7. DVD burning - CD/DVD Player option - Not playing as a DVD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD burning - CD/DVD Player option - Not playing as a DVD: I've been trying to create a DVD with some mp4 music videos on, so I inserted a blank DVD-R and when I got the "How do you want to use this disc?" prompt, I selected the "With CD/DVD Player" option. I then drag & drop the mp4 files and click on "Finish burning". It burns them...
  8. DVD burning - CD/DVD Player option - Not playing as a DVD

9. Unable to play DVD’s in Windows DVD Player

Unable to play DVD’s in Windows DVD Player: Закупих и инсталирах посоченото по-горе приложение,но въпреки това не мога да възпроизвеждам DVD.Не знам защо сте изтеглили сумата 31 лв два пъти.Моля да ми възстановите сума от 62 лв. С...
  10. DVD doesn’t play in Windows DVD Player

DVD doesn’t play in Windows DVD Player: Bought Microsoft DVD player downloaded but will not play my DVD home movies. Says something about finding or wrong 'D' Path? But does play one that I insert that was copied from USB to DVD okay? ***Modified title from: Have microsoft dvd player downloaded but when I...