Windows 10: Creating a new differential backup after a restore

Discus and support Creating a new differential backup after a restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Can I create new differential backup after restoring an existing one? Let’s take the following backup set as an example: 00 – Full Backup 01 –... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by radiowaves, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Creating a new differential backup after a restore

Can I create new differential backup after restoring an existing one? Let’s take the following backup set as an example:

00 – Full Backup
    01 – First Differential
    02 – Second Differential
    03 - Third Differential

If I restored to the second differential backup, could I then create a new differential backup and continue the set? What would happen to the third differential backup (03 above) if I did that? I am using the free version of Macrium Reflect 7.1.

:)

radiowaves, Oct 19, 2017
  2. Abi99 (2) Win User

Restore a windows 10 backup on a new phone

To answer your last question: You cannot re-try while using the phone, restoring a backup works only while in the setup process.

Abi99 (2), Oct 19, 2017
  3. Claude_01 Win User
    Restore a windows 10 backup on a new phone

Hi

I've just upgraded to a Lumia 550 from a Lumia 535 which was running an insider programme version of Windows 10.

I'm in the setup process on my new phone and it's asking me if I want to restore a recent backup from my previous phone. I want to do that but my new phone doesn't have an SD card yet and I was using lots of the storage on my old phone, so I'm worried that
    the restore might fail because I don't have enough storage. Is there some way I can find out or do I just have to try it and see. And if it fails will I be able to re-try once I've added an SD card in my new phone?

Thanks

Claude_01, Oct 19, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Creating a new differential backup after a restore

A differential image represents the difference between the base image and your imaged disks or partitions as they currently are, as you probably know.

So creating a new differential image simply allows you to restore what you have imaged, and only requires you have that differential image file and the base image file. The other differential image files are not relevant to that.

So if you no longer need the older differential image files, you could delete them.

dalchina, Oct 19, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Sure you can do that. Each differential is independent of other diffs (unlike more space efficient incrementals in paid versions).

Each differential contains all changes since last full backup. So it does not matter which you select, and can create new ones.

As they are independent, you can delete older ones to save space.

cereberus, Oct 19, 2017
  6. Returning to the example, after restoring the second differential backup, are there any guidelines about the best type of backup to do next (full vs. differential)? Let’s assume the second differential is only two days old and very little has changed since it was captured. I’m trying to understand if the fact that I restored affects what to do next.

radiowaves, Oct 19, 2017
  7. What I’m not clear about is this: is there anything about a restored environment that would make you want to do another full backup afterwards vs. continuing the existing backup set with another differential?

radiowaves, Oct 19, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

A base image is a bigger file and takes longer to generate.

A differential file is smaller and faster to generate.

All you need to restore your system is either:
    A base image
    or
    A base image + a differential image corresponding to that base image.

How you use that is entirely up to you.

dalchina, Oct 19, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    You are still not getting it - each diff is independent. It does not matter in the slightest if you restore to some intermediate state after the original full backup. When you create a diff, it just compares PC today against full backup done originally.

cereberus, Oct 20, 2017
  10. pparks1 Win User
    Nothing different about the restored environment. Eventually it makes sense to take another full, as your differential files continue to get larger and larger and take longer since its everything that changed since the first full backup.

pparks1, Oct 20, 2017
  11. Mooly Win User
    Possibly yes......

Although creating a new incremental or differential based on a restored image will work, you might be surprised just how big that new image is. Although outwardly nothing has changed, the reality could be that pretty much everything has......

An analogy. You are making an image of all the books in the local library. You restore that image and everything is put back exactly where it was... almost. Now suppose each row of restored books was a little to the left or right of where they were before. It makes no difference to the user, but the program imaging the books thinks every one is now different and so creates a new differential or incremental image to reflect that. The result is that the differential or incremental image can be almost as big as starting a new full sequence off.

Mooly, Oct 20, 2017
  12. I assumed Macrium Reflect worked this way, but I wanted to be absolutely sure before basing my backup strategy on it.

I used to use Windows System Image Backup (SIB) and learned the hard way not to make assumptions about it. I once tried to reinstall Windows 10 on an old, problematic laptop. I assumed that if it didn’t work out I could just restore it with a Windows SIB image that I captured just prior to the reinstall attempt. Bad assumption. When I tried to restore, Windows SIB could not find the image file on the external hard drive. Very frustrating. I think it had something to do with a change to a volume name that SIB didn’t like. Anyway, lesson learned. Don’t make assumptions when it comes to something as important as a system image.

I decided to try Macrium Reflect after I found out that Windows SIB was being deprecated in the Fall Creators Update. It has worked great so far.

radiowaves, Oct 20, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

Differentials are an order of magnitude smaller - the OS hardly changes in size.

You should always do a full image backup after a build upgrade which is when most files change. I do not think diffs can handle a build upgrade but never tried it.

Unless you are writing GBs of data a day to C drive, differentials are normally quite small.

Your analogy is incorrect as Macrium is far more clever than that. Files do not get restored in same location - it uses smart sector copying.

cereberus, Oct 20, 2017
  14. Mooly Win User
    I was basing my comments on experience with Acronis in years gone by. Personally, I would never continue backing up a restored image to a pre-existing chain, whether incremental or differential.

Although I agree that you should always do a new full image after a major upgrade, there is no technical reason why a differential or incremental would fail... it should after all correctly identify the sectors that have changed and perform the backup accordingly.

Mooly, Oct 20, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    Differentials are not chained, only incrementals.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Creating a new differential backup after a restore - Similar Threads - Creating differential backup

2. creating new restore point after restoring from old restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    creating new restore point after restoring from old restore point: I recently had to restore my computer from a previous restore point. That went well but i have attempted to create a new restore point and i get the following message. 0x800423f4 the writer experienced a non-transient error. I looked for some help but not sure about answer....
  3. creating new restore point after restoring from old restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    creating new restore point after restoring from old restore point: I recently had to restore my computer from a previous restore point. That went well but i have attempted to create a new restore point and i get the following message. 0x800423f4 the writer experienced a non-transient error. I looked for some help but not sure about answer....
  4. Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?: I replaced my hard drive, same size. So I cloned it. Can I do a differential backup based on a full image of the original drive using the clone? Using Macrium Reflect Free Edition as my backup software. 181683
  5. BAckup and restore for new User

BAckup and restore for new User: Hi All Used to be windows user in the xp days and then went to mac. Now Mac's are becoming way too expensive and Windows 10 seems to be a more stable product, I am looking to move back. With Mac I can do a Time Machine backup and just restore all my programs, settings etc...
  6. Question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

Question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup: Hi. Macrium Reflect free allows 4 differential backups per full backup. If I have a full backup and 1 differential backup and I want to make a second differential backup, does it matter if I make it from the 1st differential backup or from the full backup? Thanks in advance...
  7. Restoring Backup to New Machine

Restoring Backup to New Machine: Hello, I have small home based business and I have a computer that has all my software for accounting, orders etc. I paid a consultant good money to set and configure all that. He also said he put 2 drives that copy on each other so if one go bad, the other takes over. Have...
  8. Backup, Create a Restore Point or Create a Recovery Drive?

Backup, Create a Restore Point or Create a Recovery Drive?: In case I get a virus, I want to create a backup which can make the computer exactly as it was before the virus with all files, programs, and disk drives (C and D) exactly as they were. Something like Apple's Time Machine. Windows has three different options and I don't which...
  9. Do you prefer incremental or differential backups?

Do you prefer incremental or differential backups?: Would like to get an idea of other user's backup strategy preference. Do you prefer to do differential or incremental image backups to compliment you full images? Or are the some that do both or maybe neither (full image backups only)... *Huh Interested to hear what you guys...
  10. Differential Backup Size vs. Full Backup Size

Differential Backup Size vs. Full Backup Size: My backup process is to manually do a full system backup followed by periodic differential backups until the size of the differential backup gets too big. My question is how big is too big? My thinking (and this is just a guess) is that when the differential backup is about...