Windows 10: Creating autounattend.xml results in Windows Image Error

Discus and support Creating autounattend.xml results in Windows Image Error in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, I have created a autounattend.xml file using the Windows System Image Manager. When validating, everything comes back clean. However, when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nmein, Nov 2, 2016.

1. nmein Win User

Creating autounattend.xml results in Windows Image Error

Hey,
    I have created a autounattend.xml file using the Windows System Image Manager. When validating, everything comes back clean. However, when deploying it ends up failing with the message in the second set
    I am deploying using this method to an Intel Compute Stick:
    • Use Rufus to "install" Windows iso to a Bootable USB drive.
    • Drop autounattend.xml into the root of the USB drive
    • Boot USB device, let the software do it's thing.
    What actually happens:
    • Use Rufus to "install" Windows iso to a Bootable USB drive.
    • Drop autounattend.xml into the root of the USB drive
    • After a few minutes, Windows Setup complains: "Windows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [D:\Sources\] does not exist

A few things about this:
    • I never specify D:\Sources anywhere in my autounattend.xml
    • Auto

I was not planning on doing this with Sysprep, I was planning on dropping the autounattend.xml file directly on to the root of the USB drive and let it install the image automatically rather than booting through WDS or something similar.

I have been reading Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Windows 10 Forums in case sysprep is the absolutely best way though.

:)

nmein, Nov 2, 2016

2. Is there an option to prevent the initial Windows 10 Installation Reboot

I have created a Windows 10 USB iso and autounattend.xml file to completely automate the installation process.

My problem is the installation automatically reboots and restarts the installation all over again. I know some of you will tell me just to remove the USB thumb drive but that defeats the purpose of an unattended installation.

Is there an option I could change to keep the machine from automatically rebooting after the initial installation takes place?

StevenCurtis80_916, Nov 2, 2016
  3. backup system image

After Win 10 version 1709 build 16299.98 update, trying to create a system image results with an error, "cannot create a shadow image on storage device - 0x80780034".

This happens on both my systems.

Is there a fix?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

Repairman99, Nov 2, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

The D: drive in this case is the USB containing Windows setup files, the install media. It's folder structure is always the same, the Sources folder containing actual install files:

Creating autounattend.xml results in Windows Image Error [​IMG]

Most important of those files in Sources folder is install.wim:

Creating autounattend.xml results in Windows Image Error [​IMG]

This is the image the error message you receive refers to. For some reason setup can't find D:\Sources\install.wim.

What that reason is, I don't know. I would start from scratch by downloading an official ISO from Microsoft and recreating the install media. I would also redo the answer file being sure I use the install.wim of my newly re-downloaded ISO to create the catalog file.

Kari, Nov 2, 2016
  5. nmein Win User
    Would simply specifying D:\Sources\install.wim be enough to hopefully resolve the message in the InstallFrom section of the answer file?

The image is from MSDN and the install media was created by Rufus as I mentioned.

nmein, Nov 2, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Assuming that the install.wim is in Sources folder already but installation is not able to find it, that would change nothing.

I would do simply a normal clean install using the USB already created with Rufus. OK, it's not unattended and needs a few mouse clicks but at least Windows would be installed.

Kari, Nov 2, 2016
  7. nmein Win User
    I mean, yes, however I am trying to do this for 10 Intel Compute sticks. Eventually, I also am going to need to do this for however many Lenovo X1 Carbons.

Like I said, if Sysprep'ing the device would in the long run, be the better way I am down for that, I just wanted to take the much quicker way for the time being.

nmein, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Creating autounattend.xml results in Windows Image Error - Similar Threads - Creating autounattend xml

2. Windows cannot create image error 0x80780119

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot create image error 0x80780119: I recently erased my 2tb drive of all images and data to get ready to update with new image. I checked drive with Seagate Seatools and performed long and short tests all came back negative for errors. I imaged my new computer first and it worked perfectly but when i tried to...
  3. Windows cannot create image error 0x80780119

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cannot create image error 0x80780119: I recently erased my 2tb drive of all images and data to get ready to update with new image. I checked drive with Seagate Seatools and performed long and short tests all came back negative for errors. I imaged my new computer first and it worked perfectly but when i tried to...
  4. Windows cannot create image error 0x80780119

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Creating autounattend

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating autounattend: Hi all, i have this issue while trying to install win 10 on my elitepad tablet. It boots up but i am unable to touch anything. Because usb hub cost stupid +200$ i though of creating unattend.xml file. But to my surprise it dont work. Does anyone of you have tips or...
  6. Windows 10 autounattend xml installation problem

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows 10 autounattend xml installation problem: Hi guys, I have a problem with autounattend XML install. Basically, I have a Windows image that is downloaded from MS and edited to skip all steps for setup. The windows boots and wipe the hard drive created partitions, select language, and created one admin account with the...
  7. Windows 10 autounattend xml installation problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 autounattend xml installation problem: Hi guys, I have a problem with autounattend XML install. Basically, I have a Windows image that is downloaded from MS and edited to skip all steps for setup. The windows boots and wipe the hard drive created partitions, select language, and created one admin account with the...
  8. Autounattend help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Autounattend help: Hi! I'm trying to use the autounattend.xml file for the first time and I have some questions about it. The first question is why the privacy settings appear twice (it appears before login with the created user, and after logon with that user). The second question is why my...
  9. Error creating Image in Azure

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Error creating Image in Azure: Hi, Keeps migrating a local server to Azure (Virtual Machine). Have uploaded the VHD file, but when I create an "Image" based on that file I get the error message: quotation Could not create image 'host1'. Error: At least one resource deployment operation failed. Please...
  10. xml error

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    xml error: When doing a scan with free version of Spybot I get the message (in bold) below about file 180702-213610.xml. Has been on the 'cleaner' page for a few days. What is 180702-213610.xml? Is it a virus? Has it been cleaned based on note in green below? I use Webroot...