Windows 10: Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...

Discus and support Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have followed instructions to create my own Windows 10 To Go flash drive. I have two suitable USB 3.0 flash drives: Corsair Voyager GTX and Super... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by oxonsi, Apr 22, 2017.

1. oxonsi Win User

Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...

I have followed instructions to create my own Windows 10 To Go flash drive.

I have two suitable USB 3.0 flash drives: Corsair Voyager GTX and Super Talent RC4, both 128 GB versions. The Corsair Voyager GTX is not a certified Windows To Go drive, whereas the Super Talent RC4 is Windows To Go certified by Microsoft. Like all certified Windows To Go drives, the RC4 is significantly more expensive than the Corsair at equivalent storage capacities. The RC4 is generally at least twice the price of the Corsair.

The Corsair may actually be a bit faster than the RC4, but the RC4 feels a bit more "balanced" in its performance with large and small file sizes, and between read / write. That's my unofficial perception of the two; I haven't done any benchmarking to quantify performance differences.

Anyway, I started by installing Windows 10 to the Voyager GTX. And then I cloned that installation to the RC4.

Now here is where it gets interesting. Both drives work perfectly fine on my main desktop, booting from a USB 3.0 port. However, on another computer, only the RC4 will boot from USB 3.0. Attempting to boot the Corsair there produces an "Inaccessible Boot Device" Blue Screen. Now booting the Corsair from a USB 2 port actually does work on that machine, although one really only wants to use USB 2 as a last resort.

My theory at first was that the Corsair wouldn't boot [from USB 3.0] on the one machine because it lacked the correct drivers. However, the fact that a clone of that Windows 10 install on the Super Talent RC4 does boot from USB 3.0 pretty much invalidates that theory.

So does anyone have any idea what the "secret sauce" of the Super Talent RC4 may be? I'm quite sure its not that the Corsair Voyager GTX is too slow: I think it is actually a bit faster than the RC4 at least for large file reads. And also the fact that the GTX will boot through USB 2, tells me that its not related to being too slow... It also apparently isn't because my Windows 10 image lacks the appropriate USB 3.0 drivers for that computer, or why would the same image on the RC4 boot just fine through USB 3.0?

I have the drives formatted as MBR disks, not GPT disks. So these boot in legacy BIOS mode, not UEFI.

So this is a bit of an interesting mystery to me. For now, it appears it may be worth paying the premium for a certified Windows To Go drive as a non-certified drive may not work with all machines. Although I'm also not sure if the difference is due to something specified for Windows To Go certification. The only certified drive I've tested like this is the RC4. And it is entirely possible that certified drives from other brands may be more similar to the Corsair GTX, I don't know.

All of that said, I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge or theories to explain this phenomenon. Ideally, it'd be nice if I could get the Corsair to boot from a USB 3.0 port in the other machine. But maybe that just isn't possible due to a technicality in the hardware of that drive?

Thanks for any feedback.

:)

oxonsi, Apr 22, 2017

2. Query about creating recovery media on USB 3.0

Good day!!!

1.Can I as a bootable USB drive (if I install Windows 10 Pro 64 bit) to use a USB flash drive USB 3.0 and have a quick installation Windows 10 Pro 64 bit thanks to USB 3.0 standard, compared with flash USB 2.0?

2. Can I still create a recovery disk to use a USB flash drive USB 3.0?

3. Which is better to choose the parameters of the stick to use it as a bootable USB drive Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with the USB 3.0 standard write speed of 75 Mb / s or 120Mb / s read speed of 12 Mb / s or 25 Mb / s? How can I feel it?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Original title: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

григорийТарнавский, Apr 22, 2017
  3. TrueRock2 Win User
    mediacreationtool.exe output to a Hard Disk Drives - Windows 10 installation

For the last 3 years I have only purchased USB 3.0 flash drives that present themselves as "Hard Disk Drives" to Windows 7 -
    not, "Devices with Removable Storage". I buy that type of flash drive because (as far as I know) USB 3.0 flash-drives that present themselves as HDDs are very much faster than USB 3.0 flash drives
    that present themselves to Windows 7 as "Devices with Removable Storage".

In preparation for upgrading to Windows 10 I have noticed that mediacreationtool.exe for Windows 8.1 cannot see and therefore cannot create a USB-boot-flash-drive with any of my newer USB flash drives that present themselves as HDD. I've resorted to scrounging
    up some old USB 2.0 flash drives to examine how mediacreationtool.exe creates bootable USB flash drives.

Has this flaw been corrected for the Windows 10 mediacreationtool.exe?

TrueRock2, Apr 22, 2017
  4. Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...

If you use the official Microsoft WTG utility it looks for drives with the bit set in the firmware to make them show up as Fixed Disks. Standard thumb drives usually show up as removable media. There are a few exceptions, I had some SanDisk thumb drives show up as fixed disks. They were only 8 gig drives and way to small for WTG. The official WTG will only let you create Enterprise WTG installs. Point it at a Pro ISO and it will refuse to use it. It wants an Enterprise ISO. I have MSDN and have created an official drive. It worked the few times I tried it. I haven't tried one recently, I repurposed the drive I had made the WTG install on. I've been meaning to have another go though. The official utility will let you use pretty well any hard drive in and external enclosure you want to use. Mine was a dirt slow 5400 RPM laptop IDE drive in a USB 2 enclosure. Plug in my nice fast Kingston Hyper X USB 3 thumb drive and it refuses to use it. *Mad The official WTG utility in Control Panel, up until recently, only showed up in Enterprise installs. Then I noticed the Education had it, still wanted Enterprise ISO though. And now Pro has it in Control Panel too.

I have had absolutely no luck getting an unofficial WTG setup to work. I tried several method trying get WTG to run from my Hyper X thumb drive with no success. I don't remember what the issues were, was quit a while ago.

alphanumeric, Apr 24, 2017
  5. oxonsi Win User
    Yes, the Corsair GTX does present itself as a fixed disk, although I did not use the official Microsoft WTG utility to install W10. I used a W10 Pro ISO, which is also what I have installed on my desktop. There are a few unofficial utilities [Rufus, WinToUSB, ...] that will do it for you as well as more manual methods I've found of making a WTG USB flash drive. Those all work with a Pro ISO instead of Enterprise, but I assume that in itself is a "hack", and as such unsupported by Microsoft.

And WTG may work with a non-certified USB flash drive, if it is big enough, and one that has good small 4K file performance. But apparently it may not be as compatible as one of the WTG certified drives. I'm not sure why. It seems that the Corsair GTX would meet all the requirements for WTG certification, but maybe there is a technical specification missing. It does still work fine with some computers, but at least one other generates an "inaccessible boot device" error on startup [through USB 3.0]... So it seems to me, if you want WTG with greatest likelihood of compatibility, you are best off investing in one of the certified drives [which are much more expensive than comparable non-certified drives].

Not sure why Microsoft wants WTG to be a strictly Enterprise [and Education] feature. WTG is a nice option in certain situations.

oxonsi, Apr 24, 2017
  6. It still wants an Enterprise ISO, even if run from the Education version. Licensing may be one issue as to why they want you to use Enterprise. Use your unofficial Pro WTG on too many different PC's and you'll have activation issues.

I did up an official Enterprise WTG drive today. Activated it with my MSDN MAK key and it activated with a Digital License. Booted it up on my spare desktop PC and it stayed activated. In the past it wouldn't have gotten a Digital License. it would have show as activated with a product code.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...

1. Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive... - Similar Threads - Creating bootable USB

2. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a bootable flash drive: Hello beautiful people I'm creating a bootable thumb drive because I have 2 new computers and one is having issues. So going by the answers in these forums I have been unsuccessful fixing the issues and the next on the list from here was to do this . My question is How long...
  3. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a bootable flash drive: Hello beautiful people I'm creating a bootable thumb drive because I have 2 new computers and one is having issues. So going by the answers in these forums I have been unsuccessful fixing the issues and the next on the list from here was to do this . My question is How long...
  4. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart

Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart: Hi, Its great to see the addition of Option 4 (Diskpart method) in the Create Bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10 Tutorial . Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 There's an extra command directly after the clean command, "convert mbr". Is this...
  6. Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart: Hi, Its great to see the addition of Option 4 (Diskpart method) in the Create Bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10 Tutorial . Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 There's an extra command directly after the clean command, "convert mbr". Is this...
  7. Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive

Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive: Hi All, Ive decided to use Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive instead of using the Media Creation Tool to create the Windows 10 media. Im just going to use the Media Creation Tool to download the iso image and diskpart to prepare the flash drive. Are the following...
  8. Create both a USB Recovery drive & a bootable flash drive overkill?

in Windows 10 Support
    Create both a USB Recovery drive & a bootable flash drive overkill?: Is it overkill to create both a USB Recovery drive and a bootable flash drive to install Win10? HP 2000 laptop. Win10 Home (x64). 1.60 GHz AMD E-350. 320 GB HDD. 4/8 GB RAM I recently revitalized my friends HP 2000 laptop. Win10 Home (x64). 1.60 GHz AMD E-350. 4 GB RAM...
  9. Format drive before creating a bootable USB flash drive?

Format drive before creating a bootable USB flash drive?: Hi, If your USB flash drive has data on it or maybe an earlier version of the Windows 10 installation media for example. Do you have to format the USB flash drive manually in windows (right click and format) before using the Windows Media Creation Tool to create the Windows...
  10. Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10: How to: Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 How to Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 from This tutorial will show you how to create a bootable USB flash drive that can be used to install Windows 10 with or without UEFI....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. corsair voyager gtx mbr or gpt